Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Drilling a prop

Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Drilling a prop

Old 03-19-2008, 08:31 PM
djr1007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drilling a prop

I use my drill press to drill props (the hand reamer is a pain, especially with APC). The problem is, I sometimes have a lot of trouble lining up the bit with the prop.
What can I use in the drill press to line up the prop before putting the correct bit in and drilling the prop? I also have problems getting some large APC (high pitch) props to lay flat in the vise.
Any tips please?
Old 03-19-2008, 10:31 PM
alan0899

Default RE: Drilling a prop

G'day Mate,
Use the reamer, even if it is a pain, it is more likely to centre the hole in your props, than a drill.
If it not centred, then the prop is out of balance at the hub, & then it is a real pain to balance it properly.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:04 AM
Ed Smith

If you must drill out props (Not recommended) then at least purchase and use a three fluted drill. A three fluted drill will follow the existing hole more accurately than a two flute. The accuracy of the original hole is a different discussion

Ed S
Old 03-20-2008, 08:13 AM
da Rock

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A hand reamer costs about what an expensive drill bit costs. And the hobby reamers available are stepped and work for more than one size.

I've got an excellent and accurate drill press with a press vice. I use the hand reamer by choice. It's more accurate and takes almost no time compared to getting the press setup. And unless you have decent drills, accurately indexing the press doesn't guarantee anything.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:01 AM
Bob Yeager
My Feedback: (5)

I have used these drill bits, from B&B Specialities, in a drill press. I have used the 12mm and the 13.5mm. Did I do something wrong? Where do you find 12mm and 13.5mm reamers?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14415.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	908430  
Old 03-20-2008, 09:50 AM
Deadeye

Tap the T handle out of your reamer and chuck it up in your drill press!
Old 03-20-2008, 09:56 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

I do like dead eye said. Chuck up the reamer and let the prop float on the table. I don't clamp it down. I let the reamer center it and drill it. A leather glove will help to hold the prop. Some of those APCs are like a knife.

David
Old 03-20-2008, 10:16 AM
BillS

Turning the drill by hand in the drill press will often produce a cleaner and truer hole in plastic. Using the hand reamer as the last step is also a good idea.

Bill
Old 03-20-2008, 10:27 AM
dant-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

I have been using the same prop drills from B&B systems as has Bob Yeager for years. I have used all of the sizes and never had
a problem or off-centered prop hole.

Works fo rme

Dan
Old 03-20-2008, 10:33 AM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

I put my prop reamer into a cordless drill to ream out props. Centers nicely, reams it out quickly, and I can do it at the field.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:16 PM
djr1007

Fantastic info guys! I like the idea of chucking up the reamer in the drill press. The B&B bits also look like a very good idea. I think I'll see if they sell a full set or something.
Thanks again!
Old 03-20-2008, 04:23 PM
da Rock

If your press has a way to lock the vice down, then index the work with a bit that fits the existing hole. Secure the vice in position with the indexing drill bit chucked tightly and extended into the existing hole. Raise the bit and swap it out for the size hole you want and go for it.

If your props won't square up in the vice, that pretty much invalidates whatever accuracy special bits or indexing technique can provide. You really don't want to try to work the prop hubs to make them more square. You'd weaken the hubs. And APC hubs aren't what you'd call accurate castings. Sloped sides don't stay flat when the vice jaws close down on them.

APC's really aren't going to work well with precision setups. A hand reamer at least will follow the axis of the original hole. They do that accurately too.