Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

CA Tip Cleaning

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

CA Tip Cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 07:02 PM
SackOHammers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CA Tip Cleaning

Ok, I've read in posts that people just soak these tips in Acetone (nail polish remover) overnight and presto.. their tips are clean.

I'm not having this kind of luck when I do it. I'm using those whispy little tips. I find that gluing with them is a joy. I use WAY less glue and it is very controlled. I rather like it... but its also prohibitively expensive to throw out a tip everytime I want to sit down for 10-15 minutes to do some gluing.

I find the Acetone makes the glue gum up inside and it is plyable... but I cannot get it out. I've tried poking and prodding with a T-pin... blowing... etc. It takes time and I'm getting crap results.

Can someone share their technique for reusing these tips? I'm sure the problem is just my lack of creativity.

Thanks,
Hammers
Old 06-15-2008, 12:15 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: CA Tip Cleaning

Not sure what type of tips you are using but I use the very long {about 4 or 5 inches} thin clear tips and they come in different thickness, that could just be an accident in how they are made?? Not sure.
Anyway, I have A clear bottle of acetone on my work bench, it's an old pill bottle and the acetone doesn't melt it?? I use my glue then toss the tip in the bottle of acetone and next time I need to glue something I pull out the tip, give it A shake and blow through the thick end that goes onto the glue bottle tip to clear out any acetone that was left in the tip.
Presto, clean clear tip. Sometimes the end that goes over the glue bottle tip gets hard and splits but this happens with A new tip too so go figure.
No secret, it just works like that!!
Old 06-15-2008, 04:47 AM
digital_trucker

Be advised that not all nail polish remover is the same stuff. For one thing, it often has other additives in it besides acetone. Your better off getting an actual can of acetone.
Old 06-15-2008, 07:05 AM
Jezmo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I get acetone in small cans from the friendly neighborhood H*** Depot. They sell it in the paint department.
Old 06-15-2008, 07:06 AM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Sounds like he is using acetone. One thing i have done with some success with those whispy little tips. Is blow through them and clear them out when your building session is finished or more regularly if needed, while the ca is still in liquid form. Don't ever let the glue set up in the tip. Then, put it in acetone until the next session. With those types of tips, they are more difficult to keep clean. If you find a better method please post it.
Old 06-15-2008, 08:17 AM
BankYank
My Feedback: (63)

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

If your talking about the 5ish inch real small narrow ones i just cut off a very small amount and that gets things flowing again.
Pat
Old 06-15-2008, 01:11 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

And I think Bank is correct on that. Probably how they were designed to be used.
IF you have someplace to replace them from. I buy them by the box when I find them and just nip the tip then toss them when they are too short of brittle to use anymore.
When I get down to 6 or 8 I start cleaning again with the acetone because sometimes they are hard to find and I don't care for the types my LHSs carry all the time.
Old 06-15-2008, 01:52 PM
SackOHammers

Sounds like I need to try a different brand of Acetone.
I try my best to clear the tip before I toss it in the butter-tub with Acetone... but there is always some left in there... usually right at the spot where it gets narrow (the neck).
I'm definitely not going to try to blow it out...unless I buy a can of compressed air.
I'll try Home Depot for some acetone and mabye that will take care of the problem.

Thanks everyone.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:42 PM
anuthabubba
My Feedback: (102)

What seems to help keep tips from clogging for me is to squeeze (and hold it) the bottle bit before inverting it for application and releasing the squeeze, sucking the tube clear (even squeezing a couple times to blow the tube clear) before sitting the bottle down again. This method also helps control the flow of 'runny' thin CA.

Terry in LP
Old 06-16-2008, 12:50 PM
SackOHammers

By the way BankYank, I'm envious of where you live. In mid 90's I was based out in the middle of nowhere around Pierce and Weippe... some of the most beautiful country out there on the Clearwater.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:34 PM
ExperimentalAviator
My Feedback: (15)

I use this chemical resistant squeeze bottle to hold my acetone (Style C), available from McMaster-Carr. When you're finished using the glue tips hold the big end up to the tip of the chemical bottle and blow acetone through the glue tip for about three seconds. It will blow out the CA glue. I store my tips vertically by placing them in one of those small epoxy mixing cups. Every now and then a tip will still clog at the small end, but it usually can be reused by cutting off a small portion of the tip end.

Mike
__________________________________________________ ___________________________

14805T611
(Same as 14805T61)
Vented Squeeze Bottle with Safety Label 8 oz Capacity, Acetone Label, 2-3/8" Dia X 8-1/8" H
In stock

Quantity Each
1-4 Each $6.36
5 or more 5.40

(C&D) Vented squeeze bottles have a vent system to prevent gas buildup and release vapors when bottle is not in use to eliminate dripping. Colored printed labels identify contents and hazard codes. The caps match the color of the labels. Bottles are translucent. Style D is contaminant resistant and has an integral nozzle that does not have to be removed for filling. For Style C , please specify label: acetone, ethanol, isopropanol, methanol, or a write-on label. For Style D , please specify label: acetone, distilled water, ethyl alcohol, isopropanol, or methanol.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:19 PM
flipstart

I use the 4-5" tips from Tower for thin ca-heat the mouth of tip with lighter until it softens-quickly insert it over the ca bottle -when it cools, the tip will be tightly installed-will not leak or come off. Don't set it on fire just soften the end slightly. When tip stops up just cut off a tad until ca flows again. Replace as necessary, I usually use 2 tips per oz of ca. You only need to cut off 1/8"-1/4" to get ca flowing again. Works like a charm.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:40 PM
BillBabe

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBVF6&P=7
Old 06-20-2008, 02:37 AM
mikenlapaz

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXL490&P=M This is a package of 6 CA Applicator Tips from Hobbico.

Are these the fine tips your talking about? Can anyone verify if they will fit the tips of the Tower CA bottles?

I have the same problem with residual solids in the tips of the tops supplied with Tower CA. I am going to get a larger bottle which will allow the cap to sit tip upright. I think the CA will settle out to bottom of container better in this position.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:11 PM
SackOHammers

The ones linked directly above this post are the ones I've been using / talking about.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:37 AM
pc55bomber

Scissors will work every time, just snip the end off the capillary tube, or run your fingernail along the end and remove the hard bit, I use the 1oz bottles of Pacer Zap and the tube lasts the bottle and you get a new tube with every bottle.
Cheers
Paul