Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Wire Landing Gear

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Wire Landing Gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 06:19 PM
Ugo Ferrari
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wire Landing Gear

To give the "Spindly" looking landing gear, on the typical trainer type airplane, a more "Beefy" look, Add some greater diameter Soda Straw to them. I got the Red straws from our local Burger King and Sams...The addition took about five minutes. Adds a little something Doncha think ? Hmmmmm, Still looks kinda spindly, don't it... Oh Well !
Ugo
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68599.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	1160730  
Old 03-18-2009, 07:15 PM
rsands2801

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Wire Landing Gear

dont look bad at all
Old 03-18-2009, 09:54 PM
TedMo

yes pretty spindley and probably pretty bouncy as well. You could reduce the bounce by adding a horizontal wire across from one gear to the other. If you fly off grasskeep keep it high enough so it don't hit grass.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:09 PM
jib

Maybe it's just me (engineer) but why add air resistance and weight without adding any function?

Jack
Old 03-18-2009, 11:31 PM
Redback

I have used colored shrink sleeve to get the same effect. If you want thicker you can shrink another layer on top.

Terry
Old 03-19-2009, 08:00 AM
Ugo Ferrari

TedMo, Take another look between the Mains.[X(] No bounce Wire? Works real good ! As far as resistance and weight,,,Common now.Jack ! Thank you rsands208 ! It was just something to do... Good idea, Terry !
Ugo
Old 03-19-2009, 08:27 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

ORIGINAL: TedMo

yes pretty spindley and probably pretty bouncy as well. You could reduce the bounce by adding a horizontal wire across from one gear to the other. If you fly off grasskeep keep it high enough so it don't hit grass.
Trainers are suppose to have bouncy landing gear, they are designed that way. It cuts down on damage from hard newbie landings. If you ever look at a club trainer you'll notice they start to set a little lower with time and you need to bend the rear gear to get them back to normal height. The bouncy gear absorbes the shock instead of the fuselage.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:40 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Forgive them Ugo for they know not with whom they speak!! Looks cool, cheaper then shrink wrap and being plastic probably would shrink. You and Flaps have any fun projects going on you would like to share??
Old 03-21-2009, 07:50 PM
Bill Teller

In 07 i built a Fiesler FI256 & to get the gear legs more scale looking I made elliptical section Fairings out of shim brass, soldered tabs on the wire legs to locate the fairings & filled them full of silicone caulk so the wire could flex.worked good ,looked fine( no metal/metal contact between the tabs & the covers) They were not near as much trouble as it sounds
Old 03-22-2009, 03:05 PM
Ugo Ferrari

Thanks GreyBeard ! Flaps ALWAYS has something on the board ! LOL ! He keeps Ed Moorman busy as his Test Pilot. ( Ed Loves it !) Last week Ed tested a big P-39 Aircobra....
It bit the dust after once around the patch. Radio Giltch ! Ed couldn't save it. Flaps was sitting on my van bumper this morning at the field... He's now building a Big Fairchild 1930s high wing something or other... Flaps is 84 yrs. young and was a Marine fighter pilot flying Corsairs in WWll and Korea. Some of the stories... WOW !
As for me... I just finished a new Escapade. Nice airplane ! Been too windy to do much around here... (attach Flaps and a couple of his stuff)
Ugo

Name:	Bz79466.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	1163448   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91673.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	1163449  
Old 03-22-2009, 09:17 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ugo, when I first started reading Ed's dribble I always thought you guys were a figment of his thought process, it took a few years of reading to find out the truth. I have been on Ed to put all his clip out stunt instructions into book form with stories about you and Flaps. I know I would like to spend a while listening to flaps relate and relive some of his past!! Just the story about how he got his handle was funny, maybe not to him but to Ed's readers. Maybe you guys could lean on him a little too??
Gene
Old 03-23-2009, 05:36 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Adding drag is a very legitimate concern.

A round wire has TEN TIMES the drag of an airfoiled wire of the same thickness. So your thicker look is costing you even more drag penalty with no return. So why not make your soda-straw/heat-shrink REDUCE drag? Then you'll have the look you want plus an added benefit.

It'd be simple to do with the heat shrink. It might be simple to do with the straws.

The picture tells the story.

Name:	Yw68979.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	1164062  
Old 03-23-2009, 05:47 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder if Flaps was in Chapel Hill in the middle 60s?

There was an Marine Corsair pilot who came by the parking lot, C/L field some of us used on weekends. He had a Corsair model he wanted flown. He had built it but didn't want to fly it. I flew it for him after spending awhile getting the tank replumbed and the engine started. He was quite happy to see it fly. Never saw him again.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:57 PM
Ed_Moorman

Flaps was at Eglin AFB in the mid-60's, so he couldn't be your Corsair pilot.

Gene, how's it hanging out there in the desert?

Ugo and Flaps get that all the time. Everyone thinks they are my alter egos and not real guys.