Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Cowl Access Doors

Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Cowl Access Doors

Old 02-03-2010, 02:23 AM
davidgeorge212

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cowl Access Doors

Ok, I am trying to acheive some more skills in scale building and I was wondering who has made scale or rather functional access doors in a fiberglass cowling? I am not sure how exactly to go about doing it. My guess would be make a template the size I need it and then cut it out of the cowling. Then i guess you would put a back stop on the inside of the cowl for the door to stop on. What kind of hinge would work best for this application and also what kind of latch or clasp would keep the door closed?

Thanks,
David G.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:24 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Cowl Access Doors

David,
 While covering the B-17 Gathering last summer I saw a pilot that had one the better ways of securing a hatch. He mounted the hatch to the side of the plane using four small magnets, but there was no outside way to grab and open the hatch. Instead, he also glued a large washer into the backside of the hatch in the middle of the door. Then to open it he had another magnet that he kept in his pocket, and to open the hatch he placed it on the hatch door where it was attracted to the washer on the backside of the door and he could remove the hatch.  Very slick and streamlined look. Something like that could work for you in your cowl maybe.

Ken
Old 02-03-2010, 01:01 PM
davidgeorge212

What I wanted to try and duplicate was a door that looks something like this.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79146.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	1371041  
Old 02-03-2010, 01:50 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

That should be pretty easy to duplicate with a hinge and some magnets to secure it. You'll more than likely have to fabricate the door for it, but shouldn't be too difficult.

Ken
Old 02-03-2010, 02:51 PM
LunaSea

magents are CHEAP, lots of them on eBay, neodynium which is STRONG, many sizes/shapes.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:30 PM
jsevey

You can get your mini piano hinges here http://www.nelsonhobby.com/piano.html and use magnets to hold the hatch closed. As mentioned- use a second magnet to open the hatch or leave a small indent to slip something thin under the edge to pop it open. These hinges are very nice.

jim
Old 02-03-2010, 03:49 PM
davidgeorge212

ORIGINAL: jsevey

You can get your mini piano hinges here http://www.nelsonhobby.com/piano.html and use magnets to hold the hatch closed. As mentioned- use a second magnet to open the hatch or leave a small indent to slip something thin under the edge to pop it open. These hinges are very nice.

jim
thanks, I was looking for some kind of scale piano hinge that might work for these doors. Those look like they will work well.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:18 AM
davidgeorge212

I was doing a lot of google searches and found a picture of exactly what I wanted to accomplish. To fill you in on the details, I just recently got a short kit for a jack stafford cessna 140 and I want to make it my next "scale" project so I can get more experience in scale building. Im just trying to get as much information, pictures, details, etc. that I can in order to make all the more scale. Thanks for all the input.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx69917.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	1371524  
Old 02-14-2010, 08:52 PM
lilhachet
My Feedback: (2)

Hi. I did this on my new P-47.Ibought some hidges on-line on a model jet site, which didn't work but seen some that I like and made them my self, very easy to do out of thin aluinum sheet. To keep closed,I used two small rare earth magnuts. I made the door by laying wax paper over the area I wanted and used to layers of cloth,4 oz and I use epoxy.West Marine, works great then just cut the opening and then make a template for the door and cut from newly made glass. On the bottom of the door, all I did was to cut a very small fingernail slot on the fuse.Just put your fingernail in the slot and open door. This works very well and almost can't see it. good luck
Old 02-17-2010, 01:31 PM
RICMOD5634

Check out this build tread by khodges he does just what you are looking for. The link below.
Rich F

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_68..._6/key_/tm.htm
Old 02-17-2010, 02:24 PM
davidgeorge212

Thanks for posting that link, that was very informative. This will be very helpfull when it comes to detailing my cessna 140 because it will probably use alot of the same teqhniques as the bird dog.

David

Old 02-17-2010, 03:11 PM
RICMOD5634

David; Thats what this forum is for, to be helpful to others. Yes I think there is alot of good info there that could be of use. Chic and Ken come up with some fantastic ways of doing things. Glad to be of service.

Rich F