Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

HYDEOUT YS 1.40 DZ engine firewall assembly

Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

HYDEOUT YS 1.40 DZ engine firewall assembly

Old 07-23-2003, 10:02 AM
tuavp

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HYDEOUT YS 1.40 DZ engine firewall assembly

hi everyone,
I am a pattern F3a pilot and just have brand new HYDEOUT plane+YS 1.40 DZ engine+tune pipe etc. So, I have the problem to understand that how to adjust the engine with hyde soft mount on a firewall?
I should have give right angle because of the engine stroke but if I give this angle from firewall or engine mount then my engine leans right then I can not adjust the nose ring and ý must cut some part from my fuselage...!!! whic is not possible

I found some explanations on iternet but they are not satisfactory. Does anyone nows how to solve this problem? or very open pictured&drawed explanations for this?

Thks
Ahmet
Old 07-24-2003, 01:06 AM
Papa Tango

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ahmet,

I'm not sure that I understand your problem as you stated it, but I get the impression that you have an engine on the motor mount that you must cant or tilt in a certain direction to comply with building instructions. However, when you do this, the propeller shaft no longer sticks out of the engine cowling in the right place and the cowling must be trimmed.

If you do not want to cut the cowling, do this:

The engine mount must be positioned in the opposite lateral direction as the thrust angle adjustment requires. It would be hard to calculate and measure the amount of offset from the thrust center-line you need to drill your holes for the motor mounts and still get it perfect in the end. There is an easy way to make sure that the holes you drill to mount the engine will line you up perfectly with the cowling hole.

You will need the following items:
1 carriage bolt
1 washer
1 wing nut

Attach the carriage bolt, in what ever fashion is necessary, to the mounted engine so that it will extend through the firewall by at least 1/2 inch. (I put the carriage bolt through a small piece of 1/8 inch plywood and securely attach this to the engine mount with wire that I twist tight) Judge the rough position of where the carriage bolt should pass through the firewall in order to make the propeller shaft line up with the cowling hole. Mark this spot and drill a 1/2 inch hole through the firewall. Then put the engine mount/carriage bolt assembly on the firewall with the carriage bolt extending through the 1/2 inch hole. Put the washer, then the wing nut on the carriage bolt on the cabin side of the firewall and lightly tighten.

With the cowling in the proper flying position you will be able to slide the engine/mount/bolt assembly around in the firewall hole until you have the propeller shaft precisely lined up with the cowling hole. When you have this done, tighten the wing nut firmly so that the assembly will not change position while you remove the cowling and drill the engine mount holes in the firewall.

The 1/2 inch hole you drilled in the firewall can be patched over or used to run fuel lines through etc. etc..

Using this method will ensure that you have a perfect mounting position with no chance of error. (Unless the assembly slips while you drill or remove the cowling) Remember the carpenter's cardinal rule..... measure twice, cut once!

I hope this is what you need.

If you need pictures I could take some, for illustration purposes, but would rather not if they're not needed.

Good Luck!!
Old 07-31-2003, 02:46 PM
Ryan Smith
My Feedback: (25)

ahmet,

Is the firewall already installed in the airplane?
Old 08-01-2003, 07:32 AM
tuavp

Still taking care about the other inlet parts of my fuselage. Leaving the firewall assembly to the end. But if detailed pictures you have for the F1 assembly might be well.
thks
ahmet
Old 08-01-2003, 07:39 AM
tuavp

Originally posted by Papa Tango
Ahmet,

I'm not sure that I understand your problem as you stated it, but I get the impression that you have an engine on the motor mount that you must cant or tilt in a certain direction to comply with building instructions. However, when you do this, the propeller shaft no longer sticks out of the engine cowling in the right place and the cowling must be trimmed.

If you do not want to cut the cowling, do this:

The engine mount must be positioned in the opposite lateral direction as the thrust angle adjustment requires. It would be hard to calculate and measure the amount of offset from the thrust center-line you need to drill your holes for the motor mounts and still get it perfect in the end. There is an easy way to make sure that the holes you drill to mount the engine will line you up perfectly with the cowling hole.

You will need the following items:
1 carriage bolt
1 washer
1 wing nut

Attach the carriage bolt, in what ever fashion is necessary, to the mounted engine so that it will extend through the firewall by at least 1/2 inch. (I put the carriage bolt through a small piece of 1/8 inch plywood and securely attach this to the engine mount with wire that I twist tight) Judge the rough position of where the carriage bolt should pass through the firewall in order to make the propeller shaft line up with the cowling hole. Mark this spot and drill a 1/2 inch hole through the firewall. Then put the engine mount/carriage bolt assembly on the firewall with the carriage bolt extending through the 1/2 inch hole. Put the washer, then the wing nut on the carriage bolt on the cabin side of the firewall and lightly tighten.

With the cowling in the proper flying position you will be able to slide the engine/mount/bolt assembly around in the firewall hole until you have the propeller shaft precisely lined up with the cowling hole. When you have this done, tighten the wing nut firmly so that the assembly will not change position while you remove the cowling and drill the engine mount holes in the firewall.

The 1/2 inch hole you drilled in the firewall can be patched over or used to run fuel lines through etc. etc..

Using this method will ensure that you have a perfect mounting position with no chance of error. (Unless the assembly slips while you drill or remove the cowling) Remember the carpenter's cardinal rule..... measure twice, cut once!

I hope this is what you need.

If you need pictures I could take some, for illustration purposes, but would rather not if they're not needed.

Good Luck!!
As I mentioned, I am taking care about other jobs in my fuselage. Do you have some pictures which may guide me during the firewal installation according to your explanations
thks
ahmet
Old 08-02-2003, 01:02 AM
Papa Tango

Ahmet,

The advice I gave you was with the assumption that you already had the firewall installed. How do you know the propeller shaft won't fall in the right spot if you haven't built the firewall yet?

Please do not be offended, but I don't understand what you are worrying about.

Good Luck!!!
Old 08-03-2003, 10:09 PM
aerobaticsdude

ck out this website under fuselage. It will show you a method of installing the engine/firewall/mount into a new plane.

http://members.shaw.ca/nsrcawestdistrict/enigma.htm
Old 08-03-2003, 10:25 PM
Smokin Cap
My Feedback: (49)

Default .

If your talking about right/down thrust...you can either put a washer behind the mound on the upper right side. there are a couple of different ways of putting in the correct thrust to offset the torque of the engine. Here is a pic of mine.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	98829_11849.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	54891