RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Tips & Techniques (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/tips-techniques-180/)
-   -   Glasing question (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/tips-techniques-180/10996613-glasing-question.html)

ululi1970 03-12-2012 03:43 AM

Glasing question

All right,
this may be a dumb question, but why do we need the fiberglass cloth in the first place? In other words, why not a couple of layers of sandable lacquer + 6 or 7 layers of polycrilic + primer? I understand the fiberglass adds strength, but
after all the same airframe cpould be covered in monokote, the strength coming from the balsa structure... So if I do not need the extra strength, why do I need to use the cloth?

Thanks

Laird SS 03-12-2012 04:49 AM

RE: Glasing question

The Monokote gives you strength in tension the same as the glass does. However, the glass is much stronger than the Monokote and it can be painted more easily than the Monokote making it easier to achieve a more realistic finish.

Ed Smith 03-12-2012 05:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It is a finishing issue not a solely structural matter.

With plastic coverings the range of colours is determined by what is available from the manufacturers. With paint, the range and effects of colours is determined by ones endless imagination. E.G "Shading/Blending," finishing around compound curves.

Ed S

LesUyeda 03-12-2012 06:14 AM

Think in term of "ding" resistance. You can scar the surface under Monokote, with a fingernnail. That is NOT true of a glassed surface.

Les

ululi1970 03-12-2012 07:34 AM

SO in other words, if I wanted to just have a model that's going to hang from a ceiling rafter, no fiberglass would do it, but if I want something that will be exposed to the inevitable hardship of a working model (and I am thinking about car trunk mishaps mostly) fiberglass
is necessary. Is that so?

JeffH 03-12-2012 11:17 AM

The wood grain will come back through unless you add something to stabilize the surface under the paint. 'Glass cloth, tissue, carbon veil, silk, silkspan, etc is used to bridge and seal the grain.

Rick W 03-12-2012 05:18 PM

ORIGINAL: ululi1970

All right,
this may be a dumb question, but why do we need the fiberglass cloth in the first place? In other words, why not a couple of layers of sandable lacquer + 6 or 7 layers of polycrilic + primer? I understand the fiberglass adds strength, but
after all the same airframe cpould be covered in monokote, the strength coming from the balsa structure... So if I do not need the extra strength, why do I need to use the cloth?

Thanks
Hello,

I use glass and polycrylic all the time but you can also use silkspan with polycrylic. I give the whole airframe two coats of minwax sealer which is getting harder to find. You can also seal with hairspray. I buy the large cans for about 2 dollars a can. Two coats sand between coats. You can also use this for glass with epoxy or polyester. Stops the resin from soaking into the wood.

You have to seal with polycrylic, After sealing put the silkspan on damp and then hit it with polycrylic. Two coats sand between coats. After drying hit it with your favorite primer. I use lacquer without any problem. The finish with what ever paint you use.

On an open bay wing I cover it with doculam then ruff it up with steel wool and cover it silkspan and polycrylic. Sticks like glue. Then primer and paint as above. I use the doculam under silkspan to give the silkspan strenght it uses less polycrylic to fill. Also keeps little fingers from going through. Over 10 years and no delams with the silkspan and doculam using this method.

Rick

Chad Veich 03-12-2012 05:35 PM

Just about any model that you would consider using fiberglass to finish is going to be built strong enough to withstand flight loads even without any covering at all so it's not a case of strength. It is a case of durability and, as stated by JeffH, a necessity to stabilize the wood. I have not tried every type of finish out there but I have tried many and where no substrate is used (glass cloth, tissue, silkspan, etc.) the finish tends to develop hair line cracks (or worse) over time. That's my experience anyway.

ululi1970 03-12-2012 05:42 PM

I have decided to experiment on a 6''x6'' panel made with a stick frame covered on both sides with 1/16 sheeting. I finished it with 220 sandpaper and applied two coats of deft sandable lacquer. Did not sand between coats, but I will sand before starting applying the
poly over the fiberglass. I am giving the lacquer a solid week to vent any residual solvent, as I read about problems with blisters forming under intense sun. The idea of the mock-up panel is to practice the technique (and see if I like it). Given how much I have come to hate monokote, I do not think it will be a problem at all...

91zulu 03-13-2012 10:17 PM

You could also use liquid sheeting. It is a polymer 2 part mix that you just brush on or you could use an old credit card or the like to apply it. Takes about a week to fully cure like latex and becomes a hard shell. No glassing, or prepping balsa surface necessary. However you need to do this outside because the fumes are bad and should be left outside for at least 3 days for the fumes to ware off. After cure, sand, fill and defects. prime and paint. If using latex no need to prime.

j.duncker 03-17-2012 07:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: Chad Veich

Just about any model that you would consider using fiberglass to finish is going to be built strong enough to withstand flight loads even without any covering at all so it's not a case of strength. It is a case of durability and, as stated by JeffH, a necessity to stabilize the wood. I have not tried every type of finish out there but I have tried many and where no substrate is used (glass cloth, tissue, silkspan, etc.) the finish tends to develop hair line cracks (or worse) over time. That's my experience anyway.
Definitely not the case. Here are three models I built where the wings will fold during normal manouvres if the surface is not skinned with glass.

The first is a 12th scale TA152 used in combat where the blue foam wing was skinned directly with 1oz cloth and epoxy. The second a very high aspect ratio scale glider an ASW 27 where the glass finish was applied over the usual veneer and moved from 2oz at the root to 0.6oz at the tip. Both flew well and survived some high G manouvres. The glider wings would arc during loops though. The third was a F 104, now the wings are so short they might have survived but as it was capable of over 200 mph [ clocked more than once on a radar gun on a high speed pass ] I would not want find that out. N.B. The kit included instructions that specified glassing the wing for strength.

invertmast 03-17-2012 08:59 AM

Hnmm... a coat of fiberglass and resin, and a couple layers of primer (that'll be completely sanded off nearly) or 10+ layers of laquer, polycrilic and primer before color..

yep, i'll go with the fiberglass!

WhiteRook 03-17-2012 12:30 PM

if its a 80 inch span plus warbird , over 20 pounds , your going to need the glass for strength , especially on the wing.

its alot more work , but thats the price you have to pay

invertmast 03-17-2012 12:49 PM

ORIGINAL: WhiteRook

if its a 80 inch span plus warbird , over 20 pounds , your going to need the glass for strength , especially on the wing.

its alot more work , but thats the price you have to pay

not necessarily. Their are many warbirds back in the day that flew around with monokoted surfaces

ululi1970 03-17-2012 01:37 PM

I am working on a 1/8 Corsair, hope to keep it at or below 12 lbs. I have started working on the panel I mentioned earlier. I have applied the lacquer base, gave it 6 days to dry, sanded it and now I have applied .7oz fiberglass cloth with two coats of WB Polycrilic (Tom Pierce's method). So far so good. Planning to add 4 more coats with sanding in the next few days. The panel started at 16g. After applying the lacquer based went up to 19 grams, will weight it again when I done with the WBPU and the primer. Aside from the fact that it is going to take some time, it does not seem an overly difficult job. By then, if I watned quick results I'd get an ARF...

Chad Veich 03-25-2012 09:42 PM

ORIGINAL: j.duncker

Definitely not the case. Here are three models I built where the wings will fold during normal manouvres if the surface is not skinned with glass.

The first is a 12th scale TA152 used in combat where the blue foam wing was skinned directly with 1oz cloth and epoxy. The second a very high aspect ratio scale glider an ASW 27 where the glass finish was applied over the usual veneer and moved from 2oz at the root to 0.6oz at the tip. Both flew well and survived some high G manouvres. The glider wings would arc during loops though. The third was a F 104, now the wings are so short they might have survived but as it was capable of over 200 mph [ clocked more than once on a radar gun on a high speed pass ] I would not want find that out. N.B. The kit included instructions that specified glassing the wing for strength.
Notice I said "just about any model". There are exceptions and your three models may be among them. (And I'd bet the F-104 actually isn't an exception.) I stand by my statement that the vast majority of fully sheeted RC models are designed such that the covering is not necessary to withstand flight loads.

smithcreek 03-26-2012 04:28 AM

Notice I said ''just about any model''.

And, "just about any modeler" understood your point. :D I've seen lots of planes with paint straight over balsa and knew a guy that built beautiful planes painting epoxy paint straight over balsa then sanding and re-coating until it was flawless. None of them had structural issues.

JeffH 03-26-2012 07:17 AM

ORIGINAL: j.duncker

There are plenty of sailplanes that aren't glassed that survive just fine. I have a 4m Roebers Discus that is Obeche over white foam, no glass. The wings bend greatly, but they have held up for at least 20 years thus far.
Once again, .6 oz cloth is NOT adding much strength to the airframe, it is providing a stabilized surfrace to paint. glass a piece of 1/16" balsa, then try to break it. Sure it gains some strength, but not enough to consider it structural. If you could glass bloth sides with .6oz cloth, then you will gain some measurable strength. If the design depends on glassing the skin with .6 oz cloth, the design is lacking in my opinion. One ding in the wrong spot could spell disaster.

WhiteRook 04-01-2012 01:43 PM

i agree on brushing thinned epoxy over balsa, then painting, it does make for a really nice finnish.

acdii 04-01-2012 06:12 PM

My P-51 wing is 1/16th balsa and is spec'd out to be monokoted, but the skin is so thin that even if I did cover it I would surely put holes in it picking it up. In this case glassing makes for a better skin.  Structurally not needed, but for toughness, recommended by me at least.

j.duncker 04-02-2012 07:30 AM

There are plenty of sailplanes that aren't glassed that survive just fine. I have a 4m Roebers Discus that is Obeche over white foam, no glass. The wings bend greatly, but they have held up for at least 20 years thus far.
In the UK it was rare to see a sailplane over 4 m where the wings were not glassed. This was needed to survive winch launches and flights with ballast on windy days.

In some cases the glass/epoxy skin was applied UNDER the veneer to glue the veneer to the foam and add extra strength. This was quite common in small scale kit production as it avoided the need for sanding the glass layer.

Although I do accept there were some flying with just a film over veneer finish, usually with a degree of care though. Glassing adds considerable strength and ding resistance.

pacoflyer 04-02-2012 08:01 AM

J.D.
You make a interesting point.
Years ago I was working on a big Chipmunk that I got from 3W in Germany. The plane came with balsa sheeted wings. When I went to cut into the wing to install hardware and servos, I was amazed to find that the foam cores had been glassed before they were sheeted. The wings were incredibly strong and light. Al the glassing I had ever done had been over the balsa sheeting.
Live and learn I guess.
paul

ululi1970 04-02-2012 08:15 AM

This has been a most interesting thread to read, and I thank you all for providing expertise. Earlier I mentioned that I was going to experiment on a small panel.
The panel was made sheeting on both side a 6''x6'' stick frame with 1/16 balsa. I applied 2 coats of DEFT sandable sealer, sanded after the second coat, 6 coats of minwax polycrylic over .7 oz glass cloth, sanding between each coat after the second, followed by two coats of primer/filler sanded down plus a final coat. I waited 6 days after the last application of sansable sealer before applying the glass/polycrylic. The latter was applied over a period of a week. Up to the primer, everything went well. I was surprised how easy it was to work with this stuff, and how good it looked by the end. HOWEVER, I decided to make a last test, and after waiting for the primer to dry over several days, I placed the panel in a convection over set at 150F. The idea was to simulate the inside of a car left in the sun on a hot summer day (I live in North Carolina). After about 1/2 hour in the oven, blisters started to develop! They appeared randomly over both sides. This problem has been reported in other posts, and my test confirms it. The working hypothesis, is that there are adhesion problems between minwax polycrylic and te lacquer based sealer that show up when the temperature goes up. Some people suggested it is due to solvent in the lacquer being trapped under the polycrylic. Note that I waited 6 days for the sealer to dry, during which the max daily temp reached ~80F and the min ~55F. So beware, if you operate in warm climates...
I want to make an experiment mow using hairspray as a sealer. Any suggestion on brands?

pacoflyer 04-02-2012 08:25 AM

I've used Final Net hairspray for years before I do any glassing.
It seems to cut down on the absorption of the resin into the bare wood.

paul

ululi1970 04-02-2012 09:37 AM

ORIGINAL: pacoflyer

I've used Final Net hairspray for years before I do any glassing.
It seems to cut down on the absorption of the resin into the bare wood.

paul
Is this the non-aerosol (no propellant)?

Alberto