RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Tips & Techniques (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/tips-techniques-180/)
-   -   Wing Jig (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/tips-techniques-180/11630327-wing-jig.html)

ETpilot 06-17-2016 02:02 PM

Wing Jig

1 Attachment(s)
I need to build a wing but I need a wing jig for it. So I decide to adapt a wing jig to a foam cutting table that I made a while back. I'm not sure how the end product will turn out. I'm just building and thinking about it as I go. Today I cut and measured for the support blocks. These blocks will be removable and expandable from a 3 ' jig to a 4' jig. The wing panels will be 34" or 46" max. Giving wingspans of 68" and 92" without the tips.

ETpilot 06-18-2016 08:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Part One is done. The support blocks can now be stationed at the 3 or 4 foot mark. They can be removed and the table can be used for another purpose. I need to purchase more flathead screws and a bit shorter. Or cut the ones I have. The short block in the picture is just for illustration purpose. Part Two will be the rod holders. So far so good.

Rodney 06-18-2016 09:57 AM

I did basically the same thing. I just used common 2X4's for the end blocks with 1/4 in aluminum rods from the local hardware store for the rods. Just a 1X1/4 strip over the top of the rods screwed to the 2X4's to hold the rods in place. The critical parts is making sure the holes in the ribs are located very true, I used a jig in the drill press to drill the holes in the ribs to insure every rib had the holes in the exact same location. Works out very well.

ETpilot 06-18-2016 12:38 PM

My support blocks are 2x4 stock also. Left over from some other project and had been cut down a bit. I just planed them square for this purpose. Good tip on drilling the ribs. Critical part. I have my ribs drilled n screwed together in 2 stacks, left n right. I have them pre-shaped a bit. My idea for the rod holders is a 2 piece holder east side. They will hold the rods then be screwed to each other then screwed to the support block. Work on one side of the wing then unscrew jig flip it over and screw it back down n work on the other side. The rods n wing will be held steady while flipping it over. Will see how it works out.

ETpilot 06-22-2016 02:57 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Part Two is done. I made my 2 piece rod holders. All the holes were drilled so the holders will fit either side and install right side up or up side down. The dowels are used for alignment.This will make it easy to flip the jig to work on the opposite side. It may even be usable in the vertical axis. In the pictures the empty hole is for the main hold own bolt which secures the jig to the support blocks. Anyway this is all thought and theory. The real test will be practical use which will happen in a few days.

ETpilot 06-23-2016 01:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well I got the first set of ribs on the jig. The rib holes were a bit snug. After the first 2 ribs I decided to wax the rods. The rest of the ribs were easy to place. A straight edge on the ribs shows good alignment. With use I may have to tweak the jig a bit. So far I am pleased. It should work. Anyway, now on to construction.

ETpilot 06-25-2016 01:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are the final pictures of the jig in use. It is working pretty good. The ribs are all pre-shaped for this tapered wing. You can see the right wing ribs screwed together. This saves a fair amount of sanding. I sanded the top of the ribs and the forward part of the bottom of the ribs. Then I glued on the leading edge strip. The 2 triangle blocks I use to square the ribs with the rods so the ribs are square n inline with the rib line on the plan below. In the second picture I am using some LE stock to figure how I will do the main spar. So far so good.

ETpilot 07-04-2016 06:24 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Well my first wing panel is almost done. I'm really liking this wing jig. I like that it sits high off the plans. No wax paper needed. No glue dropped on plans. After the wing frame is assembled, I can keep tools, supplies and what not under the wing assembly. If needed, I can pick the jig table up and rest it against a wall out of the way. Easy to flip the wing over to work on the opposite side. I can even pull the jig from the table and rest it on sawhorses for additional work. I use my welding clamps so the jig does not tip over. BTW, this is a tapered wing with a LE sweep. So far it looks pretty true.

I have the the jig table resting on a small work stool. I sit on a mechanic's seat and work my way around the assembly. So overall a good decision to build this jig. I haven't found anything major that may need changing.

Picture posting has changed. It has been a problem last 2 days. Pictures now attach as images rather than thumbnails as before. I've had to open n confirm my pictures before posting. I hope they fix this problem soon. I have reported the problem.