RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Tips & Techniques (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/tips-techniques-180/)
-   -   Advice needed with Hobbico mechanical nose retract (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/tips-techniques-180/11638313-advice-needed-hobbico-mechanical-nose-retract.html)

lamarkeiko 04-19-2017 08:36 AM

Advice needed with Hobbico mechanical nose retract

I'm working on installing my first ever retracts on a plane. I've purchased Hobbico mechanical, and for doing the nose gear there is basically no instructions included. I have the nose gear retract and the servos mounted in the fuselage. The retract portion seems to work fine, but I am more concerned with the linkage connection to the rudder servo. The first thing I did, which may or may not be wrong, is flip the steering arm 180 deg. in order to allow the linkage to run along the fuselage side to the rudder servo arm. If that is the wrong thing to do, then I'll have to swap the arm back and re set up the rudder connections. My other concern is the type of connection and linkage that can be used to the steering arm of the nose retract. The connection point has a large slot in it, and that point is also on a pin that can slide up and down. I understand that there needs to be freedom of movement there for when the retract is operated, but it seems to allow too much potential for jamming. I did a set up with a standard clevis and 2-56 rod to the retract link and the steering arm link, and it seems to work 4 of 5 times, then can jam up. I think there is too much slop in the steering arm connection point, and if the arm is not centered perfectly, the retract can jam. Is there a better option for that connection point? I haven't tried it yet, but I was thinking of possibly trying a 90 deg bend on the rod and having a small wheel collar on either side to reduce some of the connection slop. One more thing, can the steering arm rod be flex, such as used on a throttle. I needed to do several bends in the solid rod to get from steering arm to servo arm. A flexible rod attached to the fuselage at several points I think may work smoother. Thanks for any advice. I'll attach some photos.

Lamar

lamarkeiko 04-19-2017 06:52 PM

8 Attachment(s)
Here are the photos I couldn't attach earlier.

blvdbuzzard 04-21-2017 09:08 AM

The 2 retracts I have used, both had a single point for the push rod to attach to and then it would slide up and down the post. Instead of the slot yours has, mine had a single hole. Looks like yours has two ways to keep the steering part from binding when retracted.

I have to say I like the (2) wheel collar setup. I would add a guide for the push rod to hold it in position and not flop around. I plastic tube 3 or so inches down the fuse from the retract?

Buzz.

jaka 04-23-2017 12:23 PM

Hi!
The easiest way is to use a separate servo for the front retract gear.

lamarkeiko 04-24-2017 07:22 AM

I am using a separate servo for the nose gear. The wing LG will be connected to another servo mounted in the bottom/center of the wing. I'm still working on the best solution for smooth, catch free operation and steering. I have found that by putting the nose gear steering arm back to the other side as it came originally and not rotating it 180 deg. keeps the nose gear from hanging up on occasion. The only problem is now I don't have a straight line path down the side of the fuselage to the rudder servo arm. I'm working on trying to make good enough bends in the 2-56 control rod to go from one side of the fuselage to the other side and steer the nose gear properly. I still haven't settled on the type of connector I'll use on the nose gear steering arm.

Lamar

Steve Collins 06-22-2017 06:51 PM

Will your transmitter/receiver allow you to put the nosegear and rudder on separate channels? IMO that is the best solution.