RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Tips & Techniques (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/tips-techniques-180/)
-   -   Help with wheel size for grass take off (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/tips-techniques-180/1617229-help-wheel-size-grass-take-off.html)

Wayne Miller 03-12-2004 10:07 AM

Help with wheel size for grass take off

Hi,

Can anyone help with suggested wheel sizes for grass?

Example:
Size for .40 trainer
Size for .40 sport
Size for .60 trainer
Size for .60 sport

Currently I just stick on the largest wheels that I think the plane will fly.

Thanks for your help.

Wayne Miller

Stew99 03-12-2004 10:30 AM

RE: Help with wheel size for grass take off

I've been using 2.5 to 3 inch wheels for .40 - .60 size planes on our field. We keep our field mowed to about an inch or so. The only time I have had problems is if the grass gets too long so that the propeller drags on takeoff. I have a lot of green propellers.

Richard L. 03-12-2004 02:06 PM

Any wheels with at least 2-1/2" in diameter would work. On taildraggers, I prefer to use wheels that are 3" in diameter or above.

FHHuber 03-12-2004 03:42 PM

It also depends on the grass...

Putting green type SHORT grass... the same wheels as used for pavement are fine.

If the grass tends to get taller than the wheels... you probably want bigger wheels. (or need to get out the mower)

There is the effect of the tight interweaving of the various strains of bermuda grasses... it gets to where the mowers float on the mat of grass and with the blade set to cut 2 inches from the ground (assuming the mower is on concrete). you can have up to 6 inches of grass mat under the wheels. (NAS Alameda had some THICK grass mat when I lived there...) This type grass its easy to get a plane to take off with small wheels even if its not mowed regularly.

Rye and Fescue grasses will need more mowing to not catch the wheels...

Wayne Miller 03-12-2004 09:40 PM

Hi,

Thanks for your help. From what I've read, I should get wheels large enough so the propeller clears the grass, and rolls easily over the grass.

Also, the starting point for wheels on a .40 size model would be 2.5 and 3.0 in.

Thanks for your help.

Wayne Miller

STEVE LENZ 03-14-2004 09:35 PM

Hi I like to use (Dave brown) or the Light foam tires and wheels 3'' to 3'' 1/2 I have mostly tail dragger's 40 to 60 size. With the smallest tail wheel as possible to keep it from bouncing.

Wayne Miller 03-14-2004 09:51 PM

Thanks Steve,

I've only tried the DuBro low bounce wheels, I'll give the foamies a try and see how they work.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne

Richard L. 03-14-2004 10:00 PM

ORIGINAL: STEVE L

With the smallest tail wheel as possible to keep it from bouncing.
STEVE L, would you mind explain why using the smallest tail wheel would keep the plane from bouncing?

FHHuber 03-14-2004 10:40 PM

I generally use whatever tailwheel looks good...

Such as... on a 4*40, it looks pretty odd to have a 2 inch tailwheel with 2.5 inch mains.;) But a .5 to .75 would look right with the 2.5 inch mains.

It would look very strange to have a .5 inch tailwheel on a 1/4 scale P-51 too... it needs something bigger.

STEVE LENZ 03-17-2004 12:11 PM

Hi Richard I see lots of planes that are 40 - 60 size with 1'' tail wheel with 1'' 1/2 down wire to hold them. They flip over very easy. Because the plane is not low enough to the rear. It give it the pogo stick effect They blame flipping over on the high grass when it is there plane not set up right. I have helped planes with bad landing habits just by bending the wire back and up. I beleave it has C/G fulocrum effect. A smaller wheel also helps to get it lower try it you will like it . OK See you soon. SL

CafeenMan 03-17-2004 03:18 PM

My field is in horrible condition with weeds that act like arrestor wires on a carrier. I'm flying 2" wheels with no problem.

STEVE LENZ 03-18-2004 01:14 AM

What kind of plane is it?

CafeenMan 03-18-2004 06:50 AM

The wheels in the photos are not the wheels that are on the plane now. Watch the beginning of the video and you'll see the wankel running and the wheels I'm using now.

http://www.airfieldmodels.com/galler...k_30/index.htm

STEVE LENZ 03-18-2004 12:50 PM

Hy Coffee man that looks like one of my first planes. Mine was a Midwest Sweet Stick kit with a K&B 40 long time ago . Your video my computer would not download. [&o] Keep cool

CafeenMan 03-18-2004 01:54 PM

You may need to download a newer version of Media Player. You can right click and save as, but it's 20 MB, so you might not want to do that unless you have a high speed connection.

CafeenMan 03-18-2004 01:54 PM

PS. I don't drink coffee. :)

mrfourtysevenman 08-06-2010 06:03 PM

i know this topic has not been touched in six years, but for people passing by looking for tips,
i lower the nose wheel and put WD-40 in the landing gear. take-offs will be shorter too. grass is twice as hard to get off than nitro.
but be careful. you have to land on the back wheels first because the  nose wheel will hit the ground otherwise, making it skip around and cause various slight damage to the front of the plane.

emcook 08-08-2010 09:46 PM

On a nose wheel setup, you can usually get by with just swapping out the front wheel only.
I think my last .40 size plane, I had 2.75" on the front and 2" on the rears.

Bundubasher 08-09-2010 03:37 AM

How about getting yourself a one of those flying RClawnmowers....?

I came accros this site... all credit due to the builder/photographer who made thisfunny video<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><span style="font-family: "Arial","sans-serif"; font-size: 10pt"><a href="http://www.rc-airplane-world.com/flying-lawn-mower.html"><font color="#800080">
www.rc-airplane-world.com/<wbr></wbr>flying-lawn-mower.html</font></a>

Bundu</span></p>

airraptor 08-10-2010 01:33 PM

its a trainer so use the largest dave brown wheels you can like 4" or so. it may look funny but will help with take off and landings. it will also reduce landing stress on the air frame when you make those hard landings. the bigger the wheel the easier they roll over bumps and the grass

JPMacG 08-17-2010 10:53 PM

I use Dave Brown 3.5 inch foam wheels. Larger would be better, if you can fit them.