RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Tips & Techniques (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/tips-techniques-180/)
-   -   Methods to fuel proof firewall (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/tips-techniques-180/27379-methods-fuel-proof-firewall.html)

mvigod 12-22-2001 03:36 PM

Methods to fuel proof firewall

Any tips on fuelproofing those firewalls? What's the best thing to use? I've used epoxy (usally not thinned) spread on thin with a a credit card to get a thin coat. Probably overkill. I see some thin it with a few drops of alcohol and paint it on for less wait and better coverage. How about fuelproof dope? What do the ARF manufacturers seem to use?

Miniair 12-22-2001 04:25 PM

FireWall

I still use epoxy but thin it with 99% pure rubbing alcohol - about 25-30% alcohol. Still seems to work the best.

Fuel proof dope will work as well and you can get a fairly good colour match with your covering colour.

Another thing I've tried is varathane, not the Diamond as it's not fuel proof. Seems to work not too bad but I have found if you get a scratch in it down to the wood the the fuel will work under it and lift it.

CA has been used but I have seen fuel soaked fire wall that have been soaked with CA to fuel proof the firewall.

maverick 12-22-2001 06:55 PM

I have always used epoxy thinned with alcohol. However I have heard of another technique that I am going to try next time and that is using epoxy and then running a heat gun over it to heat it and thin it out.

Miniair 12-23-2001 08:13 PM

Fuel Proofing

Yes I've done it with a heat gun. I found that it was handy especially if you had your covering wraped around onto the firewall or even the sides pulled into the engine area. It did a fine job of sealing the bare wood and also held the covering from coming loose.

Try the heat - not too much or you'll burn the epoxy - you'll like how it flows. Also works when glassing a wing.

Mike Bell 12-23-2001 10:17 PM

I have used clear polyurathane with good results when I was out of epoxy. When the plane crashed due to battery failure a few weeks later the firewall survived.
Epoxy thinned a little is still my favorite.

Jemo 12-23-2001 11:09 PM

Yes, Yes, Epoxy thinned plus the heat gun does a nice light weight job.

I would really like to try Marc's credit card if I can get Him to send it to me. :p

DGrant 12-24-2001 09:52 AM

I use dope.....

Midwest(formerly Pactra) butyrate dope. Straight on, about 3 coats clear firewall area, inside tank compartment, around nose area of plane, and any other area that might be suspect to seepage, depending on planned exhaust exit. Then usually paint black on firewall, just to leave that finished looked, which it does very well.

It's cheap, works well, very easy to use, the lightest substance available and drys in 30 min or less. Doesn't get easier then that, been doin it like that for over 25 yrs, I can tell you the dope lasts alot longer then planes.

Tex Pilot 12-24-2001 07:54 PM

Hello and Merry Christmas Marc. I now have started using Koveral and Polyurethane to cover my planes. I really like being able to paint my color schemes and the covering is really durable and light. The polyurethane also makes the plane very fuel and water proof. We use this method for our sea planes also. Once you do this........ you will be spoiled for life. You will never use iron on film again. JMHO :) Tex

Lnewqban 12-23-2008 01:24 PM

RE: Methods to fuel proof firewall

Tex Pilot:

What material do you paint on?

Regards!

Editted: Sorry, did not pay attention to the date of the thread; just found it through search.

lordmerren 12-23-2008 01:40 PM

I also use epoxy, but more specifically, Z-poxy finishing resin. This is already much thinner than the "5 minute/ 30 minute" type epoxies, so no need to add alcohol. Working time is 20 to 30 minutes, and cures in 3 hours. Has anyone else had any experience with this product?

Lm

sebo 12-24-2008 04:22 AM

Balsa Rite is a good fuel proofer. I painted a piece of balsa with it, let it dry and put it in a closed jar full of 10 percent nitro. Took the stick out 2 weeks later and when I broke it it snapped. works well in fuel compartment.
Don't know how it would work with gasoline.

Lnewqban 12-24-2008 06:48 AM

Where to buy Balsa Rite?

Clay Walters 12-24-2008 12:48 PM

I use the same thing. Works great as is.

sebo 12-24-2008 01:36 PM

You can buy Balsa Rite at your LHS or at Tower Hobbies.

ChuckW 12-24-2008 02:38 PM

I buy brushable epoxy at the LHS. It is already thinned and has a 20 minute curing time. I was using cheapo acid brushes but the kept losing bristles that stuck in the epoxy. I've since switched to higher quality brushes ant the stuff comes out nice.

ChuckW 12-24-2008 02:39 PM

Wow, just noticed the 2001 date on the original post.

dhal22 12-24-2008 10:17 PM

yeah, me too. a 7 year thread bump.[X(] i wonder how old of a thread bump we could come up with?

w8ye 12-25-2008 05:57 AM

You are not going to come up with one older than 11/28/2001

dhal22 12-26-2008 11:03 AM

i guess i can figure that out.

dhal22 12-26-2008 07:37 PM

warming epoxy up in the microwave produced some interesting results. 10 seconds brought the epoxy to a very liquid stage, however it was smoking slightly. well it kept smoking....and smoking and smoking.[X(] as fast as i could use up the epoxy it was solidifying in the cup. it continued to smoke until i ran it outside and abandoned it. the epoxy dried rockhard on the firewall but i won't nuke epoxy anymore.:eek:

sebo 12-26-2008 07:47 PM

That's FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!

dhal22 12-26-2008 08:02 PM

it was weird, almost like a cartoon the way it kept smoking.

w8ye 12-26-2008 08:11 PM

I mixed up about a 1/2 gallon of epoxy in a 2 gal plastic bucket. It smoked and melted the bottom half of the bucket. I didn't put it in the microwave. I was outside.

Edit to add: This was 20 years ago

sebo 12-26-2008 09:15 PM

Wait a minute!!
I take advice from you guys.
Am I being foolish?

Stripes 12-27-2008 08:56 AM

ORIGINAL: w8ye

I mixed up about a 1/2 gallon of epoxy in a 2 gal plastic bucket. . .

So, how heavy did that airplane come out?