RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Tips & Techniques (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/tips-techniques-180/)
-   -   Removing K&B Epoxy from fiberglass????????? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/tips-techniques-180/7583965-removing-k-b-epoxy-fiberglass.html)

willey 06-05-2008 01:12 PM

Removing K&B Epoxy from fiberglass?????????

1 Attachment(s)
Question!! What are you guys using to remove K&B Epoxy (I'm pretty sure that is what it is) from a fiberglass fuse. I am in the process of rebuilding an old never flown Byron Staggerwing. I have tried three types of paint remover (aerosol can type from an automotive paint store) and nothing is touching it???

There is a new set of wings with that came with it so I'm building them instead of using the painted ones, so it is just the fuse I'm looking to remove the paint on.

Anybody have any ideas on this?? Thanks for your time!

willey

krossk 06-05-2008 01:15 PM

RE: Removing K&B Epoxy from fiberglass?????????

Sandpaper and LOTS of elbow grease.

If it is K&B and it's fully cured, anything that will chemically remove the paint will also remove the fiberglass...

willey 06-05-2008 01:21 PM

For some reason I was thinking the same thing! guess I'll have to hit the gym for a while.:D:D:D

Gray Beard 06-05-2008 03:19 PM

K&B is/was the same stuff as todays Klass Kote two part epoxy paint and once it sets up it's almost A forever deal. Think Powder Coating. Tough stuff, I tried to remove it with straight Acetone and A rag, it almost gave it A little dull to the finish.

MX240 06-05-2008 04:23 PM

Removeing good ol'K&B Epoxy?
Good luck
That's why us old timers loved this stuff so much.
I still have two scale planes that I built in the early 80's and almost look like new yet.

Really... maybe try some stuff from a auto paint store called "gun cleaner" made by DuPont 3924S
This pretty strong stuff so wear rubber gloves....or you may be sterile for the rest of your life. :(

w5kfg 06-06-2008 03:03 AM

Ihave removed old epoxy by using a covering iron with a sock on it. It will soften the epoxy and it can then be scraped or lifted off.
Bill

krossk 06-06-2008 07:10 AM

The OP is referring to the 2 part, catalyzed epoxy paint - not the epoxy glue. The stuff is darned near bullet-proof when it's cured.

OldScaleGuy 06-08-2008 07:46 AM

How about just giving it a good sanding and repaint it with Klass Kote? You would not have to completely strip the old paint.

AA5BY 06-08-2008 08:04 AM

Yep, I recently refinished a fiberglass P-51 that had K&B epoxy on it and did lots of sanding and then repainted with Dupli Color acrylic enamel.