Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Toy-Grade RC Products
Reload this Page >

Steering knuckle for Radio Shack 1:10?

Notices
Toy-Grade RC Products Post in here about toy-grade rc products and the mods you''re making to them. These typically fall in the sub $100 range.

Steering knuckle for Radio Shack 1:10?

Old 03-21-2020, 12:23 PM
Tiogaplanet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering knuckle for Radio Shack 1:10?

My kid found a Radio Shack 1:10 Silverado HD at Goodwill. It was intact but it's a push toy for him without a battery pack or radio. I would be interested in fixing it up if possible. The steel pin holding the wheel broke out of the plastic steering knuckle. I tried googling for parts but couldn't find any or even a whole truck as a spare.

I am not able to post pictures yet but can share if it helps explain what I am asking for.

Can anyone recommend a suitable repair or replacement?

Thank you.

Old 03-22-2020, 09:08 AM
Overvolted

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a couple Radio Shack models that share some of the same components, maybe you can find another similar. Could repair the knuckle if you have it all. A pic would help.
The following users liked this post:
Tiogaplanet (03-22-2020)
Old 03-22-2020, 11:56 AM
Tiogaplanet

Originally Posted by Overvolted View Post
I have a couple Radio Shack models that share some of the same components, maybe you can find another similar. Could repair the knuckle if you have it all. A pic would help.
Thank you for the reply. I tried to pm you with the pics. Not sure if it worked.
Old 03-23-2020, 06:05 AM
Overvolted

Originally Posted by Tiogaplanet View Post
Thank you for the reply. I tried to pm you with the pics. Not sure if it worked.
The pics did not work.
Old 03-23-2020, 06:11 AM
Overvolted

Ok, so I was able to see the pictures. The knuckle looks intact except for the spindle the wheel goes on. Is that all your missing? Is there a crack in the knuckle where the spindle goes through? Tough to see in the pic. Can you post a pic of the other side for reference? If all you need is the spindle and a nut it shouldnt bee too hard to find something.
Old 03-23-2020, 06:18 AM
Overvolted

Im a new member too and I cant post pics yet either. Search Traxxas Cat steering arm, it has a removable spindle that might work. If you can measure your other side I can measure mine andvsee how close it is.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:03 AM
Tiogaplanet

Overvolted , I really appreciate your help. Seems like the days of a ten post minimum to post pictures should be behind us by now. Anyway, I sent you a pic of the intact knuckle. The spindle looks like it's a press-in job - no nut. The broken knuckle is split and the spindle was lost when it happened.

I would have to disassemble the the intact side to get a measurement. Would a measurement of the plastic on the broken side help any?

I would be willing to replace the whole steering assembly with something compatible if it comes to that.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:35 AM
Overvolted

Alright!!! I can now post pics!!! Im thinking something like this spindle here and using a nut to hold the wheel on. You could epoxy the cracked nuckle after the spindle was installed for some strength. I think you could also get creative and replace the whole knuckle as well, of course you may have to do both sides. You may need a donor car/truck for the parts perhaps also from goodwill to keep the cost down. Gotta keep in mind a radio,esc and battery is gonna get you around $30.00 or so. Ive done a few of these builds and give them to my kids to play with and when they kill them I pull the electronics out and put them in anotherone. To me its fun taking trash and making a cool toy for us to bash on the cheap plus ive honed my skills to make some really cool builds and upgrades to my other cars.
Old 03-24-2020, 02:09 PM
Tiogaplanet

Overvolted , congrats on being able to post! That's great news for you. Where did that spindle come from? Your idea may work but I'll have to take some measurements on the spindle I have left. I have considered replacing both knuckles. If I had a lathe I'm sure I could do it. Thirty bucks sounds reasonable for what you're describing.
Old 03-24-2020, 02:24 PM
Overvolted

Thank you. It is nice to be able to post pictures as it helps a lot. The spindle/arm is from my Radio Shack Golden Arrow. I think you could find something like this or similar and make it work. Strengthing that knuckle will be the priority though so it wont come apart again. Looking at your pictures and it seems like if you had to replace the knuckle it would not be too bad. You almost have a flat solid plane top and bottom of where the knuckle mounts. Ill dig through my spares bins when I get home and see if I have anything for more ideas.
Old 03-30-2020, 02:05 PM
Tiogaplanet

I got lucky today! Had a cigar and decided to sit where my son said he broke the truck. Lo and behold I found the spindle that busted out of the knuckle. It was sitting there, nicely blended by surface rust into a camouflage with the fallen leaves. If it wasn't for the patience a cigar imparts I may not have found it. Now to fix it with some plastic epoxy. Can't wait to reach ten posts to share my progress. I also cleaned up the chassis and repaired a broken body mount.
Old 03-30-2020, 08:40 PM
Overvolted

Wow, id go by a lottery ticket as well!! Thats great you found it. Now to get it back on and run it. Good luck with the repair and post up pics of it when you can.