Notices
Toy-Grade RC Products Post in here about toy-grade rc products and the mods you''re making to them. These typically fall in the sub $100 range.

More Terror for my Terrascout

Old 07-25-2021, 01:37 PM
thephatmaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More Terror for my Terrascout

More Terror for my Terrascout

Hi all, Firstly, I'm stoked to see RCU has a toy grade section.

I'd like to try to get an idea what upgrades my new (to me) 2.4mhz 9.6v "toy" can take, and what would be too risky.

I've just picked up a Nerf Terrascout - a toy grade RC tank, which (if you don't want to google) is a 2016 RC tank base with a Nerf flywheel blaster up top and a (very laggy) FPV screen in the TX.

I'm comfortable modding the blaster in the usual way (more voltage, better motors / flywheels etc, and a MOSFET), so am in the process of doing a teardown. Some internal / PCB pictures are already out there. fccid.io/RS4-B8072RX/Internal-Photos/Internal-Photos-3110797

I knoooow I could shoehorn hobby grade motors, TX RX and FPV system into the shell, but want to focus more on "drop in" replacements parts.

Also the Terrascout is a highly engineered toy. It has things like pretty splash screens on the TX, and "tank" steering mapped (well) to "car" controls, which I'd like to keep

I've got some experience with hobby grade RC (a 1/24th scale Losi Rally running on 2s, and previous Tamiya 1/10 car kits. However, I'm out of my depth with toy grade things.

I'm thinking:

- upgrade the NIMH battery to one with a better drain rate (the stock one seems to be a bit shot, and sometimes sags causing a reset of the unit) - the batt bay is huge. I'm guessing 3s lipo is out of the question as 12.6v seems a bit scary for a PCB designed for 10-11 or so volts?

- "hotter' motors, to make use of said battery

- changing the bushed wheels (which have surprisingly little friction) for sesled bearings in custom 3d printed wheels (I'v already designed these), to cut drag and stop contamination slowin it down.

- 3d printing a "mobile phone" lens adaptor for the camera. The FPV lag is terrible in bright light, and it lags less with a CPF on it, or tinted film reducing the light to process.

I'm assuming the first two risk blowing standard components?

Any help would be appreciated!

Kind regards,

Steve