Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Toy-Grade RC Products
Reload this Page >

1:10 "Blue Streak" Monster Truck & Aflac "Monster Tires" Car

Notices
Toy-Grade RC Products Post in here about toy-grade rc products and the mods you''re making to them. These typically fall in the sub $100 range.

1:10 "Blue Streak" Monster Truck & Aflac "Monster Tires" Car

Old 03-27-2009, 06:43 PM
KE4QPF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1:10 "Blue Streak" MAX Electric Truck & 1:10 Aflac "Monster Tires" Car

Posted January 01, 2009 11:41 AM

OK guys... need some help. Last night the truck started making clicking noises when turning right. This occurred after hitting a car head on due to my own stupidity. The wheels are fine. The truck still drives straight, but the radius for turning right has increased by about five degrees. After doing an inspection, it appears that the brake on the steering servo somehow is not engaging?!?!? Any ideas on how to correct this? I'd appreciate it greatly. Otherwise, I've had only one other problem that was cured rather quickly... one of the battery cells shorted out due to a manufacturing defect. It was easily cured by finding the scortching hot cell and replacing it.

UPDATE: Situation repaired
Old 03-27-2009, 06:44 PM
KE4QPF

Default RE: 1:10 "Blue Streak" MAX Electric Truck & 1:10 Aflac "Monster Tires" Car

Posted January 01, 2009 12:19 PM

Originally posted by yaleforscale:
Originally posted by KE4QPF:
OK guys... need some help. Last night the truck started making clicking noises when turning right. This occurred after hitting a mailbox head on due to my own stupidity. The wheels are fine. The truck still drives straight, but the radius for turning right has increased by about five degrees. After doing an inspection, it appears that the brake on the steering servo somehow is not engaging?!?!? Any ideas on how to correct this? I'd appreciate it greatly. Otherwise, I've had only one other problem that was cured rather quickly... one of the battery cells shorted out due to a manufacturing defect. It was easily cured by finding the scortching hot cell and replacing it.
hi bro sounds like you have striped the teeth on the steering servo .your best bet is to strip it down and take a look at it . sometimes the gear jump out of place and can be put back other than that a new servo , but if you are going to do that i would upgrade to a hobby grade servo with metal gears , they can be made to integrate with newbright electronics and with your skills this would not be so hard to do . look at loulou land rover thread he has a hobby grade servo fitted to newbright electronics , the same thing can be done to your truck , thanks bro . .......... http://rcboards.com/eve/forums/a/tpc...1/m/7401084825 take note of the servo install ...
Old 03-27-2009, 06:46 PM
KE4QPF

Posted January 01, 2009 03:34 PM

Thanks for the encouragement. I got the servo apart and found the gearbox had one tooth totally hosed. Trying to get the thing back together again was another story. I kept looking for a set of chopsticks in my arsenal, but eventually gave up. I'm heading back to Toys 'R Us and getting another truck to steal the servo out of it, then return it with the bad servo. New Bright should have a little better "quality toy" control. Wasn't expecting this one so quickly to break.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:47 PM
KE4QPF

Posted January 01, 2009 03:45 PM

Thanks for the encouragement. I got the servo apart and found the gearbox had one tooth totally hosed. Trying to get the thing back together again was another story. I kept looking for a set of chopsticks in my arsenal, but eventually gave up. I'm heading back to Toys 'R Us and getting another truck to steal the servo out of it, then return it with the bad servo. New Bright should have a little better "quality toy" control. Wasn't expecting this one so quickly to break.
i understand bro but to be honest the same thing will happen again these toy grade servos are very weak in the gear box , this is not so much of a problem on the rockcrawlers as they do not have any speed but on your truck with speed it will be a matter of time before it happend again the towerpro mg995 hobby servos are very cheap only around 10 to 12 bucks , they will out last your truck and give a much stronger steering affect , thanks bro ,,
Old 03-27-2009, 06:48 PM
KE4QPF

Posted January 01, 2009 05:42 PM

Well, after seeing what you posted, it might just surprise you that it wasn't the smallest/most toothed gear in the box that snapped the tooth off. It was the biggest/least toothed one. You would think that it would occur the other way around!?!?! Mainly because the servo's mini silver can motor drives the smaller gears which step up to the larger ones. This didn't make much sense as I'd have to pretty much drag a tire for the biggest gear to strip out. Wouldn't you think?

EDIT: Everything is back to normal. Replaced both the servo motor and gearbox using the ones off the new truck. Wish me luck!
Old 03-27-2009, 06:50 PM
KE4QPF

Posted January 01, 2009 08:13 PM

Originally posted by SeniorXJ:
Welcome,, and WoW!! Nice work!

You mentioned that the way u did these batteries, you got 10 hours of run time??
I'm getting closer to that 10 hour goal. The batteries are still getting broken in. The last charge yielded 5 hours. I found that one cell collapsed on me, so it didn't help my initial quote to you. With NiMH batteries, the more charges you give them, the better the yield until they eventually fry out. I'm confident I'll be close to 7 hours after the next charge. I took a video with my PocketPC this evening after forgetting to charge the batteries after a good 2.5-3 hour session last night. I'll post it up when I get home from the guy's house who helped me with the servo issue.

EDIT: Just read that these NiMH batteries will take about 5 chargings before they release their full potential based on the longest scale given below, which is probably correct due to the high mAh these batteries have.

Originally posted at: http://www.greenbatteries.com/bachfa.html#What is battery conditioning

However, reconditioning is very convenient for both NiMH and NiCD batteries because brand new batteries are not charged when you receive them and they must be charged and discharged three to five times before they reach their full capacity.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:51 PM
KE4QPF

Posted January 01, 2009 09:53 PM

OK... here's the pic of the dead gear in the bad gearbox...

Please view the video of "The Blue Streak" below.

NOTE: THIS IS ON BATTERIES THAT WERE USED FOR 3 HOURS PRIOR TO THIS VIDEO BEING TAKEN.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:52 PM
KE4QPF

Posted January 02, 2009 11:59 AM

great work bro love the video , thanks ..
Old 03-27-2009, 06:54 PM
KE4QPF

Posted January 02, 2009 05:58 PM

Thanks for all of the help you provided to me on the project. The insight you had was amazing in helping me determine voltage levels and gear issues. I owe a lot to you and the forum, so consider the video my treat.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:55 PM
KE4QPF

Posted January 02, 2009 06:05 PM

Originally posted by texx:
KE4QPF ....
I like your video ..
Your system, light is truly spectacular.
Your presence on this forum is valuable ..
Old 03-27-2009, 06:57 PM
KE4QPF

Posted January 02, 2009 06:38 PM

KE4QPF ....
I like your video ..
Your system, light is truly spectacular.
Your presence on this forum is valuable ..
I truly appreciate the gearing help you provided to me. If you need any help with modding your rigs with lighting, give me a shout. I'm a pretty good solder monkey. I learned from many years of training from a Motorola technician... back when Motorola actually made stuff in the states. The main reason for the lighting is pretty self-explanatory from the video. It's friggin' pitch black in the neighborhood I run this thing in. Having lights on this puppy allows me to run it when the traffic flow is light to non-existant, lessening the need to pull it off the road. My friend, who I elluded to earlier, has a Craftsman C3 and loves it... but he's jealous of the lights I have. Here's what he did last night... the numbnut!!!

He actually taped a penlight to the top of his truck as a headlight!!!

CLASSIC!

But yet, he chided me for having the blue streak under mine. I think I smell a bit of jealousy. He works with me at the local cable company and I caught him on eBay pricing 12V LED lights. He "claims" he's looking to help me out with finding 12V white LEDs for headlights. We'll see about whether they're for me, or actually for him!

EDIT: Maybe I'll have to make his "The Yellow Streak" for his chicken $*** way of telling me he has truck envy!?!?!
Old 03-27-2009, 06:58 PM
KE4QPF

Posted January 02, 2009 07:41 PM

One thing is certain, we will certainly have several projects on this forum very soon. Aid members that has good knowledge of r/c will be very appreciated ..

Assistance for the installation of light will surely be in demand.

THANK and stay with us. :-)

Old 03-27-2009, 07:00 PM
KE4QPF

Posted January 03, 2009 11:51 AM

OK guys... a few more improvements!!! I got bored on New Year's Day and had to do something. So, I went to my local cheap hardware parts store and picked up a few things for the truck...

First, I got sick of the plastic body pins always slipping out due to their flimsy design and poor length. It was time to do something a bit on the wild side. Metal beats plastic, so here you go...

Harbor Freight Tools' Storehouse Hitch Clip Box (MOD #: 96243-2VGA)

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=96243

Use the 5/64" x 1-5/16" pins... the box comes with 30 of this size and has 5 other sizes for other projects you might be working on. Price: US$4.99/box

I also found the antenna straw??? to be lacking in total physical strength, so I beefed up everything with a layer of shrink wrap tubing...

Harbor Freight Tools' Chicago Electric Heat Shrink Wire Wrap Assortment (MOD #: 96024-0VGA)

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=96024

Use the white 18-22 AWG tubing as that is the smallest and will shrink the tightest. These tubing pieces start to shrink at 125°F, so all you need is a hair dryer to get this stuff to suck on. The antenna hole DOES NOT need to be reamed out for this mod... it just makes everything snug so the antenna doesn't wobble around aimlessly i the wind. It doubles the strength of the antenna mast and allows you to go under more items without fear of breakage. This also keeps the wire sticking up higher to ensure a better ground plane for the reception of the transmitter's signals. Just make sure you wrap this around the antenna straw??? as well as the end of the cable that you'd normally leave hanging out of the top. This works wonders. Price: US$1.99

EDIT: Should you knick the shrink tubing and crack it, just hit it with the hair dryer again and use flat white model paint or even white out. I thought about this for a while, and it's conceivable that someone will scrape the plastic going through a tunnel or some other diversion... like, say, that car I went under.

Should I think of anything else, I'll let you know. My next idea was to possibly put new clevis pins into the frame for the body to replace the plastic ones, but I'm having trouble figuring out if these are friction welded to the body!?!? Anyone know??? Here's a pic of what it is I'm referring to:

Obviously, I'd have to place the nailhead of these things in the downward position (into the frame) so the body can slide up and down. I'd slide a hot Exacto across these things to knock them off flush the frame, but don't want to do that if there's an easier way.

BTW: I still haven't heard anything about Rockcrawler.com decals for the quarter panels and hood... that would really look sick! Especially considering it was the help of people from this forum that got this truck together for me.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:02 PM
KE4QPF

Posted January 03, 2009 12:22 PM

great work bro love your mods . you might want to think about these for the body pins they make inserting and releasing the pins much easier , ............. http://www.rckingdom.co.uk/smf/index.php?page=37
Old 03-27-2009, 07:04 PM
KE4QPF

Posted January 03, 2009 12:25 PM

That's just sick!!! On it now!!!

==============================================

OK... first of all... us electrical guys know nothing about gas tubing. We use heat shrink tubing. So I had to mod the mod

STEP #1: Take the leftovers from your antenna straw project and pull them out. Grab the red shrink wrap (14-16 AWG) tubing as that will work best for most sizes of vinyl tie wraps. Fold and cut into halves. You should continue to do this until you have 24 pieces out of the entire 3 red tubes. This will provide 8 pieces for the top and bottom of the clevis pin rods and give you plenty to spare for other people, and yourself. A precision cutter makes things easy.

STEP #2: Zip the tie wrap around the eye of the hitch clip making sure you pay attention of which way you have the pin, tail, and head facing... this comes into play later.

STEP #3: Run a piece of the tubing you just cut up the tail of the tie wrap until it makes contact with the head, use your nail to hold it in position, and use your wife's hair dryer to shrink it snug onto the tie wrap tail. Ensure you have this shrink wrap snug against the head of the tie wrap, or you'll screw yourself and have to use another as once you shrink this stuff, it tends to bond to the grooves on the tail making it semi-impossible to get off.

STEP #4: Take another tie wrap and run it up the tail ensuring the head is in the same position (be it up or down) as the one you wrapped around the hitch pin

STEP #5: Cut off the tails (as shown above) with precision cutters to achieve your final product. Make sure to use only precision cutters that are VERY SHARP!!! Failure to do so will result in several pokes, prods, and cuts on your fingers when using these due to a dull cutter's inability to make a flush cut.

STEP #6: Continue the process until you make all necessary (or wanted) hitch clips for your rig. Here's where positioning comes into play. If you want matching left and right sides, ensure you position the heads of the tie wraps as seen here, or you'll be lop-sided with all facing the same way. This was not mentioned in the original gas tubing post.

STEP #7: Install on your rig for that "tricked out"/"pimp daddy" look.

Thanks for the idea 'not a toy'... it worked marvelously, expect for the gas tubing part... friggin' gas guys... always trying to show us electric guys up!!! The nerve of them!!! Anything they can do, I can do better!
Old 03-27-2009, 07:05 PM
KE4QPF

Posted January 03, 2009 12:27 PM

Thanks On it now!!!
lol i know the feeling ..
Old 03-27-2009, 07:07 PM
KE4QPF

Posted January 03, 2009 12:43 PM

Anyone know how I can get Rockcralwer.com decals to plaster to the hood and quarter panels of this beast?
hi bro easiest way if you have colour printer insert some glossy photo paper into your printer , print this image cut out and cover with PVA glue bond to your truck with the same . done and water proof .... ...............
Old 03-27-2009, 07:08 PM
KE4QPF

Posted January 03, 2009 02:16 PM

KE4QPF and yaleforscale ..

You have very good ideas for the members this morning ..

And your pics are appreciated ..

thank

PS..

Nat .. good idea for the decals..
Old 03-27-2009, 07:09 PM
KE4QPF

Posted January 03, 2009 02:23 PM

Anyone know how I can get Rockcralwer.com decals to plaster to the hood and quarter panels of this beast?
hi bro easiest way if you have colour printer insert some glossy photo paper into your printer , print this image cut out and cover with PVA glue bond to your truck with the same . done and water proof .... ...............
Great idea, but there's too many curves in the body of this beast to make it stay in place without huge lumps around the curves. I was hoping someone had a regular decal, like the ones on the Rubicon Jeep, that would position around the curves much better.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:10 PM
KE4QPF

Posted January 03, 2009 02:39 PM

thanks lou , .. sorry KE4QPF i dont have these decals any more they were removed and the shell painted over otherwise i would of copied and posted them , thanks guys kudos on the body tassels great work ...
Old 03-27-2009, 07:11 PM
KE4QPF

Posted January 03, 2009 02:45 PM

Thanks for the kudos... as for this idea..

My next idea was to possibly put new clevis pins into the frame for the body to replace the plastic ones, but I'm having trouble figuring out if these are friction welded to the body!?!? Anyone know??? Here's a pic of what it is I'm referring to:

I'm thinking that doing this will give me problems with body alignment if I use an Exacto... any thoughts???

My better judgment is telling me to leave well enough alone!
Old 03-27-2009, 07:13 PM
KE4QPF

Posted January 03, 2009 02:53 PM

as far as i understand these mounts are vacuum formed as part of the chassie .so they would need to be cut of and holes drilled in the remainder for the new posts .hope this helps .
Old 03-27-2009, 07:14 PM
KE4QPF

Posted January 03, 2009 02:56 PM

as far as i understand these mounts are vacuum formed as part of the chassie .so they would need to be cut of and holes drilled in the remainder for the new posts .hope this helps .
If that's the case, I think I'll leave things be. I don't want to crack the frame by drilling this out. There's no need for that much work... purely cosmetic... but... my intuition is telling me to keep thinking about it!
Old 03-27-2009, 07:15 PM
KE4QPF

Posted January 03, 2009 03:07 PM

If that's the case, I think I'll leave things be. I don't want to crack the frame by drilling this out. There's no need for that much work... purely cosmetic.
i understand your concerns , but i have cut this type of plastic many times and drilled holes for servos ect .. with no problems it just needs a steady hand and a slow drill it will be fine , , thanks ,
Old 03-27-2009, 07:17 PM
KE4QPF

Posted January 03, 2009 03:37 PM

i understand your concerns , but i have cut this type of plastic many times and drilled holes for servos ect .. with no problems it just needs a steady hand and a slow drill it will be fine , , thanks ,
I'm thinking this is one mod I could do without... I'd rather get a nice light bar for the top and some low, forward-facing, white headlamps for the front bumper.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.