Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Toy-Grade RC Products
Reload this Page >

1:10 "Blue Streak" Monster Truck & Aflac "Monster Tires" Car

Community
Search
Notices
Toy-Grade RC Products Post in here about toy-grade rc products and the mods you''re making to them. These typically fall in the sub $100 range.

1:10 "Blue Streak" Monster Truck & Aflac "Monster Tires" Car

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 06:21 PM
KE4QPF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1:10 "Blue Streak" MAX Electric Truck & 1:10 Aflac "Monster Tires" Car

Speaking of the duck... guess who wanted to take a spin this afternoon:

Also... here's the results of enamel fill on the numbers:

I still have to do the doors.
Old 04-12-2009, 02:37 PM
yaleforscale
Banned

Default RE: 1:10 "Blue Streak" MAX Electric Truck & 1:10 Aflac "Monster Tires" Car

don your truck looks great you are a artist with this paint work not to mention your skill with electricks ohh and fabrication work . ohh and with fitting oill shocks . great work bro ..
Old 04-12-2009, 07:30 PM
KE4QPF

Thanks, Nat. Since these latest pics, I have cleaned up some of the left over mung on the windows so you can see AFLAC better on the inside. A bit of Goo-Gone worked wonders to remove the left-over masking tape stick-um. Now, the windows are crystal clear. It also got rid of some of the plastic residue left over from the mold breaking. I also completed the enamel fills on the numbers... no more streaks.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:08 PM
THErcnoobie

so now everyone can see the duck with the window tint removed.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:52 PM
KE4QPF

ORIGINAL: THErcnoobie

so now everyone can see the duck with the window tint removed.
I'm not sure if it was tint or what... it was some kind of extra crap they put over the windows to ensure they didn't get sprayed over. This body was pre-masked. It was probably a good thing as the spray paint got a little wild all over.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:22 PM
KE4QPF

Well, guys... after busting my hump the past 3 days working on a full-scale town-hall meeting with all the bells, whistles, and trimming for that big cable company in Philly dubbed "The Big (c", my back is almost busted. I have continued to do work on Aflac and haven't had much time to post. One day, I worked 28 hours straight... make that 2 days. I had to assemble over twenty 20 foot lighting towers, hook up 20+ lighting fixtures and their cables, fight a DMX lighting control computer that didn't want to send a signal out, install two 15' x 20' projector screens, install the projectors, the wiring for them, the video playback system and PowerPoint computers for them, set up props and other items, it was HELL!!! I'll post some pics when the photographer gets them together online or when I get the videotape.

As for progress on Aflac, here are 2 new updates...

The seats that came in were red, but I needed them to be black to match the seats in the original Monster Car ad, so it was off to the paint shop with them:

Also, the fabricator finally made those tail pipes I was telling you about:

The 1/2" diameter bolts in the ends will act like threaded rods so I can put a nut on each side and clamp them into the tub, similar to how the MAX plates went back onto the Blue Streak. Got them done for a case of beer. Not too bad for the expense account, if you know what I mean. These are made out of pig metal casting pipe. They fit the LEDs in the ends perfectly to the point I don't have to epoxy them in to hold them in place. Should I need to replace them, it's only a pry with a flat-headed screwdriver to get them out. I'll need to tap a hole at the point where the bolts stop coming into the pipes so I can run leads out to the motor output on the ESC so they'll light up when driving forward.

To chrome them, I have to put an acid wash on them to get the metal etched enough to receive the chrome paint. I got some of this from the fabricator, but it can be purchased in any hardware store. The pipes are welded together on the underside so they are not visible when looking at the car. This creates the dual-pipe effect as seen in the ad. I'm hoping to get this done by tomorrow it my back feels better. 20 foot lighting towers are not that easy on the old bod, and it's not getting any younger.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:43 PM
KE4QPF

A big extended thank you to Nathan and the mods for moving over my thread. Much appreciation goes out to you guys. Many thanks!
Old 04-19-2009, 04:06 PM
KE4QPF

The chrome on my pipes is drying right now. All hardware is in place. I also added some reflective clear to the paint on the seats. I should have a very nice end to this day. Later tonight, I'll start wiring the LEDs into them and the ESC leads for the flame effect. Then, I'll be done with Aflac... except for a sound system... whenever they tell me what song was playing in the commercial. From that point, I'll need to start doing a bit more housework. I know I need to do some routine maintenance on Blue Streak, so I'll post a refresher course on how to lube the chassis and gear boxes, test the shocks for strength, and maybe take them both out for a spin. Half of the enjoyment is the building, but the other half has to be about the usage. Granted, Aflac is more for a show car than anything else, I still want to take it for a spin.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:33 PM
texx

KE4QPF ..
Your work and your writing, are still excellent ..

You are a man who has a good background knowledge ..

We are proud to have you with us on this new forum ..

Your thread is very interesting, and very ((COOL)) We are following with interest ..

THANK .. for all your good advice ..
Old 04-19-2009, 04:44 PM
KE4QPF

Thanks for those kind words, Lou. I'll keep thinking up things to do to these things. It's not that hard when you put your mind and a bit of inspiration into it. Aflac came around as a fluke after the Daytona 500. I saw the commerical on TV and just had to have something like that of my own. I talk to the duck in Facebook quite a bit. His handle is 'AFLAC duck.'
Old 04-20-2009, 02:17 PM
yaleforscale
Banned

don looking good the pipes and seats will look great in your truck great work bro .
Old 04-20-2009, 06:05 PM
KE4QPF

OK... the pipes are now mounted. Couldn't use the bolts, though, they were too lengthy. Epoxy works wonders to bond things in place!

Waiting now for the touch-ups on the chrome paint to dry. Then, I'll wire in the LEDs for the flame effect. After that, it's reassembly. The .MP3 player will come later when I find out what tune that was. At first I thought it was something new by Fergie and The Black Eyed Peas, but I was mistaken. I'm still trying to find the name of the song.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:23 PM
yaleforscale
Banned

WOW nice pipe work don .. yes that epoxy is good stuff that reminds me i need to buy some more wish they sold it buy the litre .lol.[X(][X(]
Old 04-20-2009, 06:25 PM
KE4QPF

You'll need 2 liters... one for the resin, and one for the hardener.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:03 PM
cobra69

Aflac is looking great don,The details are really making it a stand out [8D]
Old 04-21-2009, 12:10 AM
KE4QPF

Thanks, guys...

I finally got to running the wires through the pipes tonight for the faux flame effect:

Tomorrow, I solder the LEDs onto the ends coming out of the pipe tips, take the other ends of the leads and solder them up to the ESC output, and finally settle the LEDs into the ends of the pipes. Then it's back to reassembly, final paint touch-ups and a finished product.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:02 PM
adrians3109

Looking really good mate!!!!! [sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 04-21-2009, 02:10 PM
texx

Our SUPER ELECTRICIAN, presents, always beautiful things ..[8D]
Old 04-21-2009, 09:33 PM
KE4QPF

OK, everybody... here's a little moonlight serenade to the glow of my new tailpipe flames:

♯♫♪♫♯You... light up my pipes!!!!♯♫♪♫♯

Old 04-21-2009, 09:55 PM
KE4QPF

Until I get it all back together again, here's another ducky movie for you to watch. AFLAC!!!

Lots of animation when you click the picture above, and again when you click where it tells you to when that animation stops.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:45 AM
texx

Verry cool video ..

Good singer also .. [X(]

Old 04-22-2009, 01:41 PM
yaleforscale
Banned

don you sure are a good singer but dont give up your day job .lol..[X(][X(]
Old 04-22-2009, 10:06 PM
KE4QPF

Nope, not giving up the day job anytime soon. Don't want to miss out on my free cable, internet and phone service from The Big (c. The family, Roberts, takes pretty good care of me here in Miami from Philly.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:46 AM
adrians3109

Lovely mate... i just love those trick exhaust pipes!!! ...no comment on the singing LOL
Old 04-25-2009, 10:48 PM
KE4QPF

OK folks...

To make up for the horrific singing experience no Idol production will ever accept for a real singing talent, I give you the reassembly:

Here's the duck, finally, with the fog out of the windsheld...

Here's a shot from a distance...

Here is looking over his shoulder...

Then I turned the lights out to show him close-up in the driver's seat under the streak lights...

Here's another shot through the windshield...

Here's another long shot with the streak light on..

Now, keep in mind, I haven't charged these batteries since I started this build in February. The batteries are still holding their charge nicely. So TAKE THAT all you nay-sayers about running these things off of AA/penlight batteries!!! Just to prove how well these NiMH cells hold up, I took this to the living room and the bedroom hallway to try to perform a few wheelstand tricks with both the lights on and off. I hope you enjoy.

Now, all that's left is figuring out what song Aflac was playing in the car during the commercial. Maybe one of you with a V-Cast phone can do a Song ID for me??? The commercial is still on the AflacRacing.com site. When I figure that out, I'll add an MP3 player and mini sound system to the mix like THErcnoobie did to his rig. I also need to add 2 side window braces to match the original car, and a roof camera pod with Aflac logos surrounding the 180-degree pick-up area. I'll be able to get those from Wal-Mart or any racing shop that has stickers.

It's 98% done!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.