Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Toy-Grade RC Products
Reload this Page >

1:10 "Blue Streak" Monster Truck & Aflac "Monster Tires" Car

Notices
Toy-Grade RC Products Post in here about toy-grade rc products and the mods you''re making to them. These typically fall in the sub $100 range.

1:10 "Blue Streak" Monster Truck & Aflac "Monster Tires" Car

Old 03-27-2009, 07:19 PM
KE4QPF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1:10 "Blue Streak" MAX Electric Truck & 1:10 Aflac "Monster Tires" Car

Posted January 03, 2009 04:06 PM

Originally posted by yaleforscale:
Originally posted by KE4QPF:
i understand your concerns , but i have cut this type of plastic many times and drilled holes for servos ect .. with no problems it just needs a steady hand and a slow drill it will be fine , , thanks ,
I'm thinking this is one mod I could do without... I'd rather get a nice light bar for the top and some low, forward-facing, white headlamps for the front bumper.
i understand no problem light bar good choice . ....... ........ ....... ........ ...... .... ... .. .... .
Old 03-27-2009, 07:21 PM
KE4QPF

Default RE: 1:10 "Blue Streak" MAX Electric Truck & 1:10 Aflac "Monster Tires" Car

Posted January 03, 2009 04:13 PM

Originally posted by texx:
WOW .. .. NAT Beautiful presentation .. GREAT ..

.. THANK ..
Old 03-27-2009, 07:22 PM
KE4QPF

Posted January 03, 2009 04:14 PM

thanks lou my good friend
Old 03-27-2009, 07:24 PM
KE4QPF

Posted January 03, 2009 04:15 PM

Originally posted by Alan93:
ke4qpf

what about some videos of your monster truck?? it would be nice

Old 03-27-2009, 07:26 PM
KE4QPF

Posted January 03, 2009 04:23 PM

It's already up... take a look further back in the thread. Nat/yaleforscale posted it in flash right after I posted the .3g2 file. Nice pics of the light bar there Nat.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:30 PM
KE4QPF

Posted January 03, 2009 07:11 PM

OK... I've got a few more mods for you guys to look at.

First... I finally found some white 12V LEDs with the proper resistors in them to support white front headlights. I got them at the local auto parts store... Advance Auto Parts. They were meant to go into a license plate frame, so they already have the LED holder in chrome that looks like a giant acorn nut. The stem is entirely threaded and it accepts a hex nut on the back to compress it down. Price US$10.59 Here's a look at the installation:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/Pro...goryCode=3157A

AFTER:

They mount into a 1/4" hole and have everything you'd need. The wire is crappy 26 AWG, but because the red upper headlights already have been wired with the 20 AWG, I just tapped into those leads and shortened the length of the pre-existing ones, just like on the Blue Streak underbelly light. These lights shoot out at a distance of about 6" (close-up)- 18" (far away) ahead of the truck like downcast headlamps. To keep the hex nut from backing off, I applied a helping of hot melt glue to the threads, much like LocTite. Here's the final product:

AFTER:

Second... I always see "tricked out" trucks sporting a "Line of Fire" light...

...to make the back end more visible. I also found products at Advance Auto Parts to tackle this job as well, but installation was not as simple as these lights do not have an enclosed resistor, they're in the leads and shrink wrapped. You'll have to cut them off and reattach when you shorten the leads. Price: US$17.69 Here's the installation:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/Pro...goryCode=3157A

AFTER:

Notice the resistors between the hole in the bumper and the solder merge point??? You'll have to perform the same soldering operation or YOU WILL BLOW THESE OUT!!! To keep the rubbing down between the wires and the bumper, more hot melt glue was applied to the back sides of the holes so there's no noticeable blobs of glue protruding through the visible side of the bumper. The lights attached with pre-installed 3M two-sided mounting tape. Here's the finished product:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

EDIT: For those of you wondering if these lights are just clear tape over the diodes, it's not as simple as that. LED's require a gas mix in a capsule, just like any incandescent or flourescent light. The entire length and width of this device IS THE CAPSULE measuring approx. 2" wide x 9/16" high (4" of light bar wide when done like I did it with both enclosed strips), similar to a tombstone-styled LED. The white tape is actually reflective tape, similar to the white/silver oxide used on movie screens. These actually light up red, but they're so bright, the camera couldn't shift the balance properly. They leave a red trail up behind the truck on the ground and blend just a bit with "The Blue Streak" light to merge from blue to purple to red as you get farther away from the back of the truck.

EDIT: Just took it for a spin and man, these batteries are really conditioning themselves better than I expected. I'm on their 4th charge right now, and I'm able to go over grass and grade changes no sweat. I bounced her a few times across the driveway aprons and the sidewalk. Looks totally awesome. When I get back to my friend's place, I'll have to make another mini-movie of it with the additional lighting. I'm still in search of a lightbar, but I'd better let the batteries fully condition before I get that ambitious or I'll be dealing with collapsed cells.

NEXT MOD: Reverse/back-up lights??? I'll need your help with the motor and/or ESC wiring to figure out how to get a +12V signal when this thing is in reverse only. I'd get a back-up alarm too, but I think that's pushing it.

Nat... Did you have to get your sunglasses out???
Old 03-27-2009, 07:31 PM
KE4QPF

Posted January 04, 2009 08:22 AM

all i can say is WOW,,WOW looking real good .. my sunglasses are out lol..for your reverse signall most just wire into the esc were the motor gets its power not sure its 12 volts though and it would need to be soldered to the reverse side of the esc fets , i dont have much info on the 1/10 boards , but some of they other guys may be able to get some shots of the board , thanks bro great work ..
Old 03-27-2009, 07:32 PM
KE4QPF

Posted January 04, 2009 10:33 AM

Thanks for the advice Nat! If it helps the community any, LEDs will ONLY light up when they get a correct polarity. Should they receive a reverse polarity, they WILL NOT light up. This means, so long as I can find a +12VDC signal going to the motor, all I'd have to do is find which lead is positive and which lead is negative when running in reverse... it will not light up when running in the opposite polarity, so running forward would shut the lights off. Because there's only 2 wires going down to the motor, I am only assuming that the ESC reverses the polarity to shift the direction of the motor spinning the transmission. One wire is black, and the other is brown, so there's no proper polarity marking on this cable going down into the motor. It was the same story for the steering servo. So I'm thinking things are wired in the following fashion:

EDIT: See below... this is actually reverse of what I posted here on Rockcrawler.

Make any sense? I think my only downfall would be if there's something like a 7805 voltage regulator shunting the voltage down to 5VDC. If that's the case, I'll probably be able to run those white lights in series I removed earlier as they run at 2.4VDC... 2 x 2.4VDC = 4.8VDC. If the voltage is regulated by the 7805 on the ESC, there'd be no need for resistors, just a series hookup to achieve the 4.8VDC, and the lights would not be able to flicker because it would be a regulated signal.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:35 PM
KE4QPF

Posted January 04, 2009 11:01 AM

yip sure does like right to me i think you got it sorted for wireing , not sure about the shunt , but like you say you can use a lesser voltage led , if this appears to be the case . your electrical expertise sure does shine through here you will have no problems iam sure .i almost for got about the reverse polarity with the leds , great stuff bro .. thanks
Old 03-27-2009, 07:36 PM
KE4QPF

Posted January 04, 2009 11:33 AM

yip sure does like right to me i think you got it sorted for wireing , not sure about the shunt , but like you say you can use a lesser voltage led , if this appears to be the case . your electrical expertise sure does shine through here you will have no problems iam sure .i almost for got about the reverse polarity with the leds , great stuff bro .. thanks

Thanks again for the kudos... looks like I'm gaining much love and respect in here. I'm sure our resident expert in motors, servos, and ESCs, 'lou', would know all about this. I can't wait for him to post his thoughts. He's probably already went into the lab, started to poke the leads of his rigs with the VOM, and has some logs burning on the fire/gears burning in his head... I smell the smoke over here!!!

EDIT: Just tried probing the wires running down to the motor with my VOM and almost put the probe tip through my finger. The shrink wrap they used was on there tighter than a virgin cherry. It's too hard to do this by going straight into the wires. I'm afraid I'll pop a fuse if I disconnect the motor from the ESC at the Molex connector and try to probe it there. Anyone have any ideas or know the actual output rating???
Old 03-27-2009, 07:36 PM
yaleforscale
Banned

don great work very cool .
Old 03-27-2009, 07:39 PM
KE4QPF

Posted January 04, 2009 01:48 PM

OK... just skinned the brown and black wires and found my results...

IN FORWARD DRIVE:

BROWN IS NEGATIVE

BLACK IS POSITIVE

IN REVERSE DRIVE:

BROWN IS POSITIVE

BLACK IS NEGATIVE

...refuting my earlier post (now showing a referral to here for the correction).

It seems as though they went with an AC approach to the wiring on this thing as black is usually negative in DC apps, and is the hot lead on AC apps. The ESC sends full voltage from the batteries to the motor, so there's no shunting as was thought. Maybe that's why this thing takes off like a bat out of hell now??? This means the 2.4V LEDs are still crap. I'll have to see if I can fit the bolt lights in, if not, it's back to the drawing board for loose 12VDC LEDs.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:42 PM
KE4QPF

Posted January 04, 2009 01:56 PM

OK... just skinned the brown and black wires and found my results...

IN FORWARD DRIVE:

BROWN IS NEGATIVE

BLACK IS POSITIVE

IN REVERSE DRIVE:

BROWN IS POSITIVE

BLACK IS NEGATIVE

...refuting my earlier post (now showing a referral to here for the correction).

It seems as though they went with an AC approach to the wiring on this thing as black is usually negative in DC apps, and is the hot lead on AC apps. The ESC sends full voltage from the batteries to the motor, so there's no shunting as was thought. Maybe that's why this thing takes off like a bat out of hell now??? This means the 2.4V LEDs are still crap. I'll have to see if I can fit the bolt lights in, if not, it's back to the drawing board for loose 12VDC LEDs.
good work bro it is strange the way the colour coded the wiring . a presume this is while you had your transmitter for reverse on the motor .but you have your results this is good . thanks bro . p,s i also have a feeling that this motor is not a 280 .but bigger , thanks
Old 03-27-2009, 07:44 PM
KE4QPF

Posted January 04, 2009 02:09 PM

i presume this is while you had your transmitter for reverse on the motor .but you have your results this is good . thanks bro . p,s i also have a feeling that this motor is not a 280 .but bigger , thanks
"In forward drive" was with the transmitter telling the truck to go forward.

"In reverse drive" was with the transmitter telling the truck to go in reverse.

Hope that helps with your confusion.

It just reverses the polarity in the ESC.

Love the pics lou... keep it going!
Old 03-27-2009, 07:46 PM
KE4QPF

Posted January 04, 2009 02:11 PM

i presume this is while you had your transmitter for reverse on the motor .but you have your results this is good . thanks bro . p,s i also have a feeling that this motor is not a 280 .but bigger , thanks
"In forward drive" was with the transmitter telling the truck to go forward.

"In reverse drive" was with the transmitter telling the truck to go in reverse.

Hope that helps with your confusion.

It just reverses the polarity in the ESC.
understood bro .lol. thanks
Old 03-27-2009, 07:47 PM
KE4QPF

Posted January 04, 2009 02:15 PM

Originally posted by: texx
KE4QPF ..
Have you provided a few mods to your crawler .. motor / esc / servo HG /tires/gears/ others ?
Old 03-27-2009, 07:48 PM
KE4QPF

Posted January 04, 2009 02:19 PM

Originally posted by texx:
KE4QPF ..
Have you provided a few mods to your crawler .. motor / esc / servo HG /tires/gears/ others ?
Nothing mechanical yet. Might get new tires later on. My strong suit is eletrcial, not mechanical.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:49 PM
KE4QPF

Posted January 04, 2009 02:20 PM

i think i would be tempted to install some nice oil shocks on this truck they do make a world of difference to handling just a idea ... http://www.blacksmithproducts.co.uk/...ts.asp?cat=217
Old 03-27-2009, 07:50 PM
KE4QPF

Posted January 04, 2009 02:21 PM

Looks like the bolt lights will not fit between the tail lights I already installed...

Although the 1/4" is there to make the hole, the light's diameter itself is 1/2". I'm wondering what you guys think of positioning these closer to the center of the truck, within the clearance needed to get around the tail lights, and place them right up against the tail lights!?! Obviously, the reverse lights on the sticker won't be completely covered, but it will still work. Loose LEDs from the same company and use another couple of chrome LED holders to finish it off WILL NOT WORK! There's only 5/16" clearance between the two lights and the chrome LED holders are 3/8" in diameter.

Any thoughts???
Old 03-27-2009, 07:51 PM
KE4QPF

Posted January 04, 2009 02:24 PM

Originally posted by: yaleforscale

closer would be good . looks very cool i think , .. dont forget the light bar
Old 03-27-2009, 07:52 PM
KE4QPF

Posted January 04, 2009 02:33 PM

Originally posted by: yaleforscale

i must rember to repair my chassie .lol.hee hee...

Old 03-27-2009, 07:54 PM
KE4QPF

Posted January 04, 2009 04:20 PM

You think???

OK... I've got the wiring done for the reverse lights. Now I just need the dang lights. Went to 2 Advance Auto Parts stores and couldn't find one set of them to save my life. At least the wiring is in place. I post full installation pics when I'm do for you all to see how it went.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:55 PM
KE4QPF

Posted January 04, 2009 04:25 PM

You think???

OK... I've got the wiring done for the reverse lights. Now I just need the dang lights. Went to 2 Advance Auto Parts stores and couldn't find one set of them to save my life. At least the wiring is in place. I post full installation pics when I'm do for you all to see how it went.
thanks bro hope you can find the leds ,, still think a nice set of oil shocks would look good.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:56 PM
KE4QPF

Posted January 04, 2009 04:49 PM

Originally posted by Alan93:
woow verry lightful

maybeyou can meake it streetlegal lol
Old 03-27-2009, 07:58 PM
KE4QPF

Posted January 05, 2009 12:37 AM

OK folks... here's the latest!!!

The Blue Streak now has reverse lights. It took me 4 stores to find the LEDs I needed, but when there's a will, there's a way!!!

STEP #1: Isolate the leads going from the ESC to the motor by breaking off the plastic piece that tries, but fails, to prevent you from removing the leads from the ESC board. This is just a nuissance and will get it your way.

NOTE: Picture was purposely overexposed to show details in an all black environment

STEP #2: Cut both of the leads that go from the ESC to the motor close enough to the ESC that you'll have enough play to get the Molex plug back in, but have it far enough inside the truck to keep the cut from showing underneath.

STEP #3: Run the black (10-12 AWG) shrink tubing left over from the body pin toggles and antenna projects up both sides of the wires you just cut and shrink using the hair dryer method.

STEP #4: Solder the cut ends together (maintaining polarity... brown-to-brown and black-to-black) while inserting pig tails for the reverse lights (red-to-brown and black-to-black) into this splice point.

STEP #5: Drill the 1/4" holes, as needed for the headlight project, in the area between the tail lights right where the little indentation is located between the stickers for the tail lights and the truck deck.

IMPORTANT NOTE: If you did the tail light mod first, make sure you pull the LEDs out of the chrome holders or you'll risk hitting their leads with the drill bit when popping through the other side... like my dumb arse did, thus making me have to resolder them back up again. @#$% it all to hell!

STEP #6: Insert the reverse lights, just as you did the headlights, making sure you tighten the hex nuts down and glue them to prevent backing off.

STEP #7: Trim the leads on the reverse lights and solder them up to the pig tails you brought up from the ESC to motor cable. Because you observed the correct polarity while in reverse, the LEDs will only come on when you're in reverse and switching over to drive from neutral... similar to what happens with an automatic transmission when you bring it down through the tree.

STEP #8: Reassemble and you'll have this finished view:

Pondering the light bar...

I rolled this truck 3 times yesterday and twice today on its roof. A light bar would be a bad move. It seems the center of gravity on this thing is high and if it doesn't land properly, it will roll... just like the real thing. Guess that's why real monster trucks don't have light bars. With all of the other lights I've got on here, I'm thinking I've hit the limit.

For those who want to mod further for lights... and I can't see why...

You can use blinking 12VDC LEDs in the same fashion as I did for the reverse lights to make turn signals. This would be a first for any monster truck I've ever seen, but will make your other rigs "street legal". My thoughts are... since the ESC is set to reverse voltage for the motor to make it drive the truck backwards, there's probably the same forward voltage/backward voltage game being played with the servo. All you'd need to do is find the positive and negative for each direction and wire up some flashing 12VDC amber LEDs.

By now, you'd think I owned an LED shop !!!

I'm sending Nat the new mini-movie to put up of the truck with the latest details. I hope he can upload this soon for all to see. Hope you enjoy!

NEXT MOD: Getting some beefier arms/shocks/springs on this sucker!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.