Notices
Toy-Grade RC Products Post in here about toy-grade rc products and the mods you''re making to them. These typically fall in the sub $100 range.

1/10 NB Crawler

Old 01-24-2011, 03:18 PM
cobra69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1/10 NB Crawler

ORIGINAL: Spiike

all i gotta say is good job man, that thing looks amazing! i'm in the beginner stage of doing what you have done, here i'll post a pic
[img][/img]

The only modifications i've done is
dual battery (1000mah) vs stock 1x 600mah
1 '' body lift
new springs
rear 4 link suspension.
cut tread of tires

i ordered 2 spur gears from a traxxas RC from my local hobby shop. im going to keep the stock motors and add the 4th gear to give it more power

where did you get your spur gear set?

today i broke the suspension, had to super glue and hot glue gun it back together, so now you've given me many ideas on what i can do to my crawler, only after i buy a axial so that i never loose out on the chance to play in the snow!
Hello Spiike, Thanks,....The gears i used are from an old NB endloader.
Let me know if the traxxas spur gears work...I haven't found any gears other than NB's that have the same pitch.
PM me if you need any replacement parts or gears, I think I still have a couple of boxes of NB stuff in my hobby room

Joe
Old 01-25-2011, 04:23 AM
john the rc guy 13

did you keep anything stok ?
Old 01-25-2011, 12:37 PM
Spiike

Sounds good, I'll keep you in mind, the guy at the hobby shop i deal with says the part will be in about 1st week of febuary. He has one, but he is ordering me a second spur gear.

here is what i found in the hobby store, or very close to.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Traxxas-1884-Driv...#ht_4796wt_875

I was just going to take the gears that i need, go to the closest hardware shop, find a shaft that fits, and mount it in my drivetrain for the added 4th gear, like everyone else!

I can post pictures
here is a link
http://cid-8db580b03ac77813.skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?page=play&resid=8DB580B03AC77813!1244
Old 01-30-2011, 01:14 AM
Spiike

So hey, do you still have your stock CV joints? mine wore down to plastic, then the front drive axle couldn't spin the front tires. I bought some small diameter rod, used a glue gun to put it in the plastic cut i made, and its not strong enough, how did you manage to get past this problem? I'm stuck I might as well unplug the front motor till i resolve this problem, but 2 wheel drive crawler would suk! lol anyways. i couldn't see your pictures of what you did to fix the front cv joints

here is a link to pictures of my truck if your interested.http://cid-8db580b03ac77813.skydrive...03AC77813!1244
Old 02-11-2011, 02:15 AM
Spiike

what thickness aluminum/steel did you use to make your brackets?

Iincorporated your bracket into a 4 peice bracket instead of 6 peice, making the bottom links brackets and main bracket into 1

I'm just hoping the bracket is thick enough aluminum to withstand the torque
Old 02-11-2011, 08:03 PM
cobra69

ORIGINAL: Spiike

what thickness aluminum/steel did you use to make your brackets?

I incorporated your bracket into a 4 peice bracket instead of 6 peice, making the bottom links brackets and main bracket into 1

I'm just hoping the bracket is thick enough aluminum to withstand the torque
I think the alum. i used on this rig,was a little under 1/8"
I have another thread showing a different mount style,that is more simple & uses thinner alum.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:39 AM
Spiike

Okay, i will look for it.

I tried installing the 4th gear on my truck. I have it installed. however the gears are rubbing together because the gear is not straight. I totally messed it up I think. I have to straighten the gear, and i'm using very thin, like 1mm thick aluminum
Old 02-12-2011, 04:17 PM
cobra69

I checked through my old posts here & I didn't post how i made my other mounts.
I'll post it later & mebbe it'll be of some help
Old 02-13-2011, 02:29 AM
Spiike

so i made another motor mount, with a different gear, with the right pitch, the only time the gear works well is when the battery is at its lowest... however when the battery is full power it makes a loud ratchet noise, it moves. before I put it together i had the gear running pretty freely in a straight line paralel to the other gears, i'm thinking i need to match up the gear right, drill out the gear hole, and find the same thickness screw, and bolt it in there, right now i'm using the stock pins in a hole like 1/32 of an inch thick of room to move around. but even if i hold the gear in the right spot, it still makes that ratchet noise. I think its the wrong pitch compared to the other gear. fits wrong maybe