Community
Search
Notices
Toy-Grade RC Products Post in here about toy-grade rc products and the mods you''re making to them. These typically fall in the sub $100 range.

My 'new' old toy

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 10:19 AM
adrians3109

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 'new' old toy

Hi guys

this week i managed to get hold of a new toy... well not new but old and vintage. Its a tamiya chassis which after some research on the net i concluded its the one in the photo attached. Body didnt help since it came with an aftermarket lexan body. From the little info i have, its over 17 years old but still seems be working fine. Needs a new battery since original is not holding any charge and some oil in the shocks...otherwise it seems complete...ohh and tyres have not much spikes left LOL so maybe a set of those as well. From the little testing i did it seems pretty fast as well. Has independent suspension and shaft driven 4x4 system. On specs on the net it says 540 motor but mine has written 360 LEMANS on it.
Does this model ring a bell to anyone? Are parts still available for these models?

Old 04-19-2009, 11:04 AM
yaleforscale
Banned

Default RE: My 'new' old toy

hi adrian great model yes you can still get parts , thats the best thing about tamiya no matter how old or broken they can always be rebuilt ,, great source of imformation is here ,.[link]http://www.tamiyaclub.com/[/link].... great model bro .. p,s you may whant to send a p.m to lunchboxer , there is not much that he does not know about tamiya models,, .
Old 04-19-2009, 03:31 PM
texx

WOW .. adrians3109 ..

Good buy ..

You will certainly enjoy the repair, and play with.[8D]
Old 04-19-2009, 04:12 PM
KE4QPF

If you're looking for old Tami parts, the hobby shop near me has been in business for over 32 years and probably has some of the things you need. Their number is (954) 42-HOBBY. I think these old school shops are going to have either the exact part, or something similar. I tried locating the model on their website, but had no luck as it's been discontinued by Tami.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:44 PM
adrians3109

ORIGINAL: texx

WOW .. adrians3109 ..

Good buy ..

You will certainly enjoy the repair, and play with.[8D]

thanks guys for the help... well texx it wasnt even bought... was given to me by its ex owner for free

i might take chassis to my local tamiya dealer and see what he says about it and what i can find readily available.

i think its worth getting a battery for it for sure and playing a little with it... one thing i think needs replacing is the speed controller or whatever it is that controls how fast the vehicle goes...its a sort of a servo in the chassis (that brownish meccanism that is on the pic i uploaded)...dont know if its fooling around because of the battery, but sometimes it gets stuck on full throttle...might also be because it hasnt been used for a long time...otherwise all seems to work fine.

I'm considering what to do with it, but i dont think its ideal to create a scaler out of it though...its too wide and also a bit to fast... probably i'll just have some fun with it on some dirt tracks.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:58 PM
adrians3109

ORIGINAL: yaleforscale

hi adrian great model yes you can still get parts , thats the best thing about tamiya no matter how old or broken they can always be rebuilt ,, great source of imformation is here ,.[link]http://www.tamiyaclub.com/[/link].... great model bro .. p,s you may whant to send a p.m to lunchboxer , there is not much that he does not know about tamiya models,, .
thanks for the link... just went a little bit through it and found some pics that comfirmed me that the model is the one i thought it was.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:10 PM
yaleforscale
Banned

hi adrian the mechanical speed controller was installed in the old tamiyas these were problomatic once time had gotton hold of them . most guys replaced them with the tamiya electronic speed controller this gives much better performance and does away with the second servo , although this model is discontinued if you scour the net and hobby shops you should still be abel to find parts , you could also try ebay for parts .
Old 04-20-2009, 02:18 PM
adrians3109

thanks man for the quick reply

yes its sort of a bit slugish and does not respond immediately... and after a crash it sometimes gets stuck... erm and yes i already did crash it quite a few times LOL ...and bent a steering rod as well in the process, but already fixed that back LOL

thanks again
Old 04-21-2009, 01:37 PM
adrians3109

took some pics of it...

Old 04-21-2009, 01:42 PM
texx

WOW .. adrians3109 ..

This mechanism, seems to me very sophisticated ..

Good mods on your new TERRA CONQUEROR
Old 04-21-2009, 01:46 PM
yaleforscale
Banned

yip thats a tamiya alright looks like a tao2 chassie tamiya used these a lot for allsorts of models some had red plastic casings were the gearbox drive shaft was should be easy for parts alot of tamiya parts were interchangeble ...[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji-z3fCjubU[/youtube]
Old 04-21-2009, 01:50 PM
yaleforscale
Banned

i would get rid of that mechanical speedo they were trouble once they got old also the brushes going to the motor look coroded you might whant to take them out and clean them up .
Old 04-21-2009, 01:57 PM
adrians3109

thanks guys

yes yaleforscale, im thinking of replacing that mechanical speed controller, and as you said, give a good clean up to all the rest...at least i'll start from there...i havent yet found time to go to an open area to give it a go for real...at home its impossible to see its real potential without crashing it into some furniture
Old 04-21-2009, 02:01 PM
texx

Good luck for your first test ..[8D]