Community
Search
Notices
Toy-Grade RC Products Post in here about toy-grade rc products and the mods you''re making to them. These typically fall in the sub $100 range.

1/10 scale Cobra "Super Snake"

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 10:35 PM
rebuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1/10 scale Cobra "Super Snake"

Me again........................heres another build. Yawn............ 1/10 scale Cobra "snake" edition, 19" long........started out as a "toy", but i gave..........it........................LIFE!!!! Its ALIVE !!! (a little frankenstein humor). This one is special too..............however i cannot take any credit for the beautilful candy blue pearl paint...............some lady in china got 3 cents an hour to do it. It is the stock paintjob, pics dont even do it justice.............i have never seen such a nice finish on a store bought car.

Mods:

Duratrax sprint ESC (7 cell)
Futaba 3003 servo
Futaba receiver
Duratrax 380 high rpm motor
2300 mah nimh batt
Interior mounted oil filled shocks
LED headlamps and taillights

This one was tough to get everything in it due to the low interior and footwells.................It was like a puzzle.

This is the one that gets the most looks when im out................

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92409.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	455.5 KB
ID:	1311209   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27727.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	405.9 KB
ID:	1311210   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl21153.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	412.9 KB
ID:	1311211   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cv61577.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	322.9 KB
ID:	1311212   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pa33982.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	305.2 KB
ID:	1311213   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yo91527.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	393.4 KB
ID:	1311214  
Old 11-09-2009, 10:53 PM
texx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1/10 scale Cobra "Super Snake"

Great car .[X(].Great work .[X(].

You are a man diligent in your work ..[sm=thumbup.gif]

Your many rc / toys, give a second life to this forum .

THANK ..
Old 11-09-2009, 11:13 PM
cobra69

Default RE: 1/10 scale Cobra "Super Snake"

SWEET!!!! The AC cobras have always been a favorite of mine.[8D][8D]
Old 11-16-2009, 11:23 AM
Rickster247

Default RE: 1/10 scale Cobra

Rebuilder, that is really a cool Shelby Cobra and the "Super Snake" version is a hard one to come by. If you please, what scale is it? Where did you buy it? And how much did it cost?
I'm a hankering to expand out of my diecast only collection of Cobra's...

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-16-2009, 05:07 PM
rebuilder

I got it from Hammacher Schlemmer, i saw it and i was in love................here is a link, but i notice it says item no longer available.................Hmmmmmm. It is 1/10 scale and appr. 19" long, $49.95.

http://www.hammacher.com/publish/74126.asp
Old 12-15-2009, 07:14 PM
Rickster247

Rebuilder,

Thanks for the great info! Hammacher Schlemmer was discontinued as you mentioned, BUT I did manage to snag two of them off eBay just recently and am going to repaint one candy apple red (it came scratched for $20.00) but I'll keep the pristine one ($45.00) like yours in blue. Very nice paint job indeed!!!

I wanted to ask you a couple of questions and see if you might have any pictures of the improved mods you installed, if you don't mind?

With the replaced receiver, do you just run all the lights off the battery with an extra switch somewhere for night and day use?

Tricks on the steering servo mod?

Any linkage upgrade?

What shocks did you use instead of the pogo stick ones?

How much percentage improvement did your modded car have over the original? I know steering had to be vastly improved!!!

Maybe a 540 might fit in there?!? This car is real plastic HEAVY!!! Need to get rid of weight... maybe some inner wheel wells etc.

Looks like this might be a candidate for my old Cobra pan chassis (circa 1990) mod in the near future...

Thanks a ton!
Rick
Old 12-15-2009, 11:22 PM
rebuilder

Wow.......cool finds on E-bay!! Post pics!! Have you gotten them yet, if so, arent they beautiful? I'll do this for ya............i'll take the body off of mine...........it's a B_tch but i'll try and do it tomorrow. Its a marvel under there.........all crammed in. I have a little trick of running the lights straight from the ESC input wires.........when the batt is plugged in then they can be turned on by a switch.....batt unplugged, no lights or chance of leaving them on. Servos are actually easy now that i've done so many..........just get out the old dremel and mix up the epoxy..........and presto!! It will run very fast................the ONLY problem i have is that the stock tires are kinda not really rubber....they're a wierd rubber/plastic mix. I can sit there and spin donuts all day and burn 'em up pretty good. I thought by doing that and taking the top layer off they would gain more traction, didnt really happen. I searched for days to try and find hobby grade tires for it......came close on a few sizes but kinda put it on the back burner. The trick to putting hobby grade tires on toys is to find the wheel diameter and the outer diameter of the tire.........to make it look right.

It would be a sweet bod for your pan........is that what you are suggesting?

POST PICS!!!!!!!
Old 12-16-2009, 04:08 PM
Rickster247

Just a couple of pics for now to enjoy!

When I disassembled the Super Snake down to the bare bones body (so I could paint her) I took a lot of sequenced pictures to show what this model is made of and for reference for others who might be interested. Those I will post on my RCCobra web page.

BTW, can I post explicit links here?

Oh and I do have the pristine Super Snake still in the box until I get done with my Christams shopping.

So, yes I have three now.

Thanks!

Name:	Jh15607.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	1335733   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34790.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	1335734  
Old 12-16-2009, 04:25 PM
Rickster247

Rebuilder,

I heard that if one takes an inner tube off of a mountain bike size and cut it up you can use it as like a "re-cap" on existing hard rubber tires and that might give you more traction than you are currently getting. I'm prolly gonna try this route too.

Also have you tried the foam tire approach by sanding universal ones down to the same size as on the snake and rolling them in flowable silicone for more grip?

Here's a different kind of Shelby.

Name:	Rp42394.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	1335766  
Old 12-16-2009, 05:13 PM
rebuilder

Looks like the "not so pristine" one has had a bad attempt at a paint job. Candy apple red will look nice, alot of sanding iwll be in order. I found tires like these and some simialr but they just arent quite right..............heck now that i look at em again they may be close............remember, in order to make it look scale they need to be the right outside diameter as well:

See if you think these would fit - two sizes:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXKKW1&P=ML

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXKKW0&P=ML
Old 12-16-2009, 06:36 PM
Rickster247

I just took apart the front and the back wheels from the "spare" Super Snake and measured them...

Rears = 75mm high, 38mm wide, 45mm bead to bead inside diameter

Fronts = 68mm high, 30mm wide, and also 45mm bead to bead inside diameter

Kind of interesting that the IDis the same on both tires.

They are "close" the HPI VIntage Racing tires you referenced but not a match, dang it!

Hmmm... maybe some wheel modding might be needed. Take a set of wheels and tires that are about the same size and machine out the center of the new rims and then mod the original by triming them down to a smaller dia and then press fit with epoxy... hmmm....

Name:	Ro42082.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	1335831   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25731.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	1335832   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx61040.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	1335833  
Old 12-16-2009, 09:16 PM
rebuilder

Do you see what i mean about the odd composition of the tires................kinda plastic/rubber? I put foams in mine already. I even took the tires to a belt sander and slowly worked my way around.....not much better traction.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:45 AM
darksideofasaucerfulofsecrets

I would suggest aking around on ebay, a lot of sellers have various connections and some sellers are willing to do a lot of research to make a sale.  If anything they might steer you in the right direction
Old 12-27-2009, 04:37 AM
redthunder94

hey guys, newbie here sorry for the hijack, but i have this same car and trashed the steering yesterday when one of the rear wheels broke off the hub and made it take a 1 o'clock dive straight to the curb hard, now it will only turn right. anyways i took the steering box apart to survey the damage and saw that two or three teeth broke off what i guess is the main gear which is right behind the lever which moves the steering linkage, i can't just turn the gear around since it is chamfered to fit in only one way, and also two of the wires broke loose from the solder, gotta love it. i would really appreciate any help or advice i can get to get it working again since it was a christmas gift from the wife two years ago and is very important and means alot to us. it is my first rc car and this was only the second time it has been out since i got it so it is still in almost new condition. thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.