Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Toy-Grade RC Products
Reload this Page >

New Bright Nitro Skidoo MXZ Snowmobile

Community
Search
Notices
Toy-Grade RC Products Post in here about toy-grade rc products and the mods you''re making to them. These typically fall in the sub $100 range.

New Bright Nitro Skidoo MXZ Snowmobile

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 05:07 PM
nitrohead997

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Bright Nitro Skidoo MXZ Snowmobile

I know this is a 9 month old thread, but anybody think they could give me directions on a build for one of these? thanks.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:59 PM
traxxasslash12

hi i mod and repair and paint rc things send more info of what you want done to and more pics and i see if i can do something cheep for you
Old 09-01-2011, 07:03 PM
Nancyhuang
Banned

OK! I hope your plan will be success!
Cheap Coach Purses
Coach outlet stores
coach factory outlet store
Old 11-16-2011, 09:58 AM
G-17S

I just bought the mxz 800 e- bay lets start here . what power do you want?
gary
Old 11-16-2011, 01:55 PM
G-17S

am using traxxas revo parts, and suspension parts 3.3 electric start, plentiful supply on e-bay cheap too!
Old 01-25-2012, 04:18 PM
Brushlessed
My Feedback: (2)

Hey Check out my Sled! Sorry I know this is a really old thread, but I had to post it. Im having a little trouble with the Gear train and the suspension. I also have some new updated pics that have not yet been posted in the following thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1411010
I will update it this weekend.
I am only 12, and I had to do this!!!!!
Old 01-26-2012, 05:45 AM
TechyJoe

Hi alexjschauer

Looks like you have all the right parts. Tell me what problems you are having and I'll try to help you?

Old 01-26-2012, 03:43 PM
Brushlessed

Thank you!
I cannot find the right kind of shocks. Do you have any links?
I was also wondering what clutch you used.

My gear train is often slipping, (Probably because of my poor design), but my dad's an engineer I will have him take a look at that. I am thinking about scrapping the Plastic "Chassis" and creating an aluminum "frame".
Alex
Old 01-27-2012, 06:11 AM
TechyJoe

alexjschauer

I read the rest of your thread. You did a great job on your MXZ build. What I like about you is that you didn't let others dissuade you from building your sled. A lot of people talk but you are a doer and made your snowmobile instead of asking others to do it for you. For that, I congratulate you.

P.S - I am also an engineer.

Now onto your issues.

Slipping
1) Your slipping is probably coming from the track slipping on the main drive wheels. You need to remove the drive wheels and flip them around so that there is more of the plastic lugs making contact to the track (not sure why New Bright didn't do this to begin with). You'll need to cut one of the plastic axles down some for this. I have a picture on my other XP build thread located at this URL on page 4. I'll also try to get some better pictures of this later today for you:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_94..._4/key_/tm.htm

Suspension
2) Instead of building a whole new suspension, try strengthening the stock one. What I did was fill the plastic suspension bars with fiber glass and resin (Sig fiber glass kit) or you can fill them with Epoxy. One other thing you can do is to cut some metal rod insert some metal rod into the suspension bar slots and fiber glass/epoxy them in place. This works pretty well and will save you tons of time - now that it's winter and snow is here. Wait until summer to build a new suspension if you really want to go that route.

Shocks
3) For shocks, I pretty much used standard, cheap oil filled car shocks and they fit very well. Get the threaded ones where you can adjust the ride height with the thumb screw and set them to a lower setting (softer).

Clutch
4) I'll need to get back to you on the clutch bell. Basically, I tried to get one of the smallest clutch bells I could so I had more low end power.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:57 AM
Brushlessed

Thanks!!! I was wondering how to flip them around!! But that does slip, AND my gears are slipping. That plastic is no good.
Ok here is what I am going to do, since my motor has nearly fallen off because the plastic broke. (Don't worry, I'm not THAT stupid, I put many reinforcements before I mounted the motor, but the weaker spots that I didn't suspect broke.
This would be a lot easier if I had a 3D designing app on my computer, then I could just screenshot and post it here. But I will try to explain it.

I am going to rip out the little "box" where the drive wheel sits and where the motor sits on top of.  I will then (at my dad's machine shop at work) cut a piece of sheet metal, the correct size and shape.  I will fold it over so it makes the box shape. But, this pice of metal also extends all the way back to the tunnel. Itwill also extend up to the skis, (Don't know how I'm going to do it up there yet).My goal is to kinda have the Piece of sheet metal like a chassis, and then the body and the outside artwork can sit on the chassis. I have made bigger pulley wheels that ride under the seat in the tunnel for more track tension. I burned a few clutches because they were too big, I put the stock ones back in, and its sloppy. But I am going to make the modified ones smaller so there is no burning of clutches!
I can not drive it right now, because I have pretty much destoryed it because I did not reinforce it correctly. Live and learn. Well, now I will try this new plan, (I have it cut out on cradboard)  and see how it works.

The reason why my gears are slipping is because they are not mounted securely. And also because my motor is not staying where it is supposed to. It stays lined up with the gears, it just raises.
Hopefully I can get this peice of sheet metal made soon, so that I can run it!

Its no big loss though, because we had freezing rain, and then snow, (That was SUPER fun to drive on, I did cookies!) and then yesterday it got to a high of 40!!! So now everything is rock hard, and we only had about 4 inches of snow he way it is.

I notice my track binds much more in powder....
I want to make the front suspension aluminum/metal, but like you said, thats a summer project. Where did you make most of your parts? Home?
Please let me know what you think of this plan. My dad thinks it will work!
Thank you for your other tips, I will try them!
Thanks!
Alex

Old 01-27-2012, 01:02 PM
Brushlessed

Oh and also, I'd appreciate it if you could posts some pics of how you got the drive drum off of the saft. do you reuse the shaft?
Where do you find your subscribed threads? Like I know in Rcgroups it has a whole page that says which threads have been posted that you have subscribed to that you have not yet seen.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:58 PM
TechyJoe

alexjschauer

Unfortunately, this is the engineering process. You try something and when it fails, you go back and make it better. I am currenlty performing the "exact" mods you described above. My black plastic cover also cracked, and yes, I too re-enforced it with fiberglass as well as sheet metal on top. I used a sheet of hobby shop bought aluminum and it fit the space perfectly. I bent the metel over my table top in a few places and viola! new cover in about 1/2 hour (not including drilling all the holes to mount it).

I don't have time right now to post the pics I took just a few days ago of my double sheet metal motor mount but I'll post them tomorrow sometime.

Your going to need to build a better drive train to hold the gears in place.

For the hex drive shaft, I drilled a small hole in the platic body in order to slide it out without bending it. I hated to do that but it seemed was the only way to remove it.

To see your subscribed forums, click the forum drop down at the top of the page. Select "My Forums" and scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page where they will be listed.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:00 PM
TechyJoe

Oh, and that clutch bell is 14 tooth 32 pitch.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:49 PM
Brushlessed

Thanks!
Yes, the black plasitc was cracked...into 4 peices!! I had the whole thing wood reinforced AND sheet metal covered.All of the red plastic around it is about to fall off, its hanging by a thread. I'm going to try the sheet metal idea, and if it doesn't work, so what? Try again! I've got plans, and the cutter at my dad's work makes slick work of sheet metal. They also have LOTSSSS of material...for free! So it doesn't hurt to try!
No need to take pictures of the drive wheel, I got it figured out. It's a press fit.
I will update pics of the sheet metal thing installed when I get it made. I will also post a pic of it uninstalled. Along with the sheet metal comes a new drive train.
Thanks!
Alex
Old 01-28-2012, 06:55 AM
TechyJoe

Here are some pics of the following:

1) New aluminum tunnel cover
2) Tunnel cover installed from top and buttom views
3) New tunnel cover with the heavy metal motor floor board installed
4) Picture of how I used some threaded rod to attach the shocks to the chasis
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53186.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	1720126   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qm35631.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	1720127   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq37452.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	1720128   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bv60637.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	1720129   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cn78438.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	1720130   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qh65894.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	1720131   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44166.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	1720132  
Old 01-28-2012, 07:34 PM
Brushlessed

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!1
Old 01-30-2012, 05:30 AM
Brushlessed

Can you try to explain how to upload pics?
Thanks!
Alex
Old 01-30-2012, 06:09 AM
TechyJoe

Sure it's easy

Don't use the "Fast Reply" option at the bottom of the post page. Use the "Post Reply" button at the bottom left of the screen.

This post screen has an option link at the buttom "Click here to upload images and files". Then just use the "Select a file to upload" screen to select the images from your computers hard drive. You can add up to 12 pictures at once.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:04 PM
Brushlessed

OOOh duh. Thanks!
I have posted a pic that you posted, but I edited it to shopw whats wrong with my sled. The bars where the arrows are pointing are catching on the drive spurs on the track. Whenever I go over a chunk of ice, it catches. I also noticed that the track binds a ton in powder. Are you having these issues? But Its an easy fix. I am going to cut them out and replace them with bolts and nuts slightly higher in the suspension.
Alex

Name:	Sq48435.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	1721197  
Old 02-01-2012, 05:24 AM
TechyJoe

You need to fix your suspension as outlined on page 1 if you are still using the stock suspension. This will remove most of your issues such as track slip and binding. I run my snowmobile mostly on flat snow (which we have little of) so I can't say I have experienced the binding you described.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:19 AM
sumrcruz

I made one into nitro . Put a traxxas pro 15 in it and up grtaded the suspension . It took a long time but looks awesome .

Name:	Rp44749.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	1721994  
Old 02-01-2012, 10:43 AM
sumrcruz

Here's some of the engine pictures . I got the exhaust and motor to fit perfect under the hood , made it look like a real snowmobile .

Name:	Db84554.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	205.4 KB
ID:	1722016   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65795.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	1722017   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz67765.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	1722018  
Old 02-01-2012, 11:00 AM
sumrcruz

I installed some new LED lights through out the sled and got the exhaust to come out the bottom.The rear and front suspension has also been upgraded with Traxxas parts . I made a pair of ware bars ( scags ) out of some 1/8 inch galvanized wire .

Name:	Tr49400.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	1722024   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36249.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	1722025   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd83089.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	1722026   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jd88507.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	1722027   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87858.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	1722028   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24230.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	1722029  
Old 02-01-2012, 02:45 PM
Brushlessed

Oh awesome! Thanks Joe!
Looking really good sumrcruz!!! I wish I had the time/tools to make the mods you described!
Old 02-01-2012, 03:53 PM
TechyJoe

sumrcruz

Awesome job man! Quite the little club we have going on here.

I love the belt drive system. Would you mind sharing more info on the parts you used for that?

You also did a great job on those upper and lower links.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.