RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Toy-Grade RC Products (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/toy-grade-rc-products-498/)
-   -   Topmaxx Jet Panther (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/toy-grade-rc-products-498/11632820-topmaxx-jet-panther.html)

vintageshack 09-24-2016 11:16 AM

Topmaxx Jet Panther

1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys, I just bought this car for my son, and it seems to have a bit of potential for a toy grade rc! I can't find much about it,but has anyone here done any kids on one of these? Seems like hobby grade shocks would fit quite nicely on it! Maybe even a brushless motor.. Here is a pic of ithttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2182735

RustedRC 09-24-2016 02:10 PM

Hey vintageshack. looks like a cool toy man.
it does look like hobby grade shocks would fit and maybe even some good tires. i'm not sure going brushless would be a good idea but if you want to go for it. if it was mine i would stay brushed but upgrade to hobby electronics, get a better ESC and run it on lipo power but with caution because there is a good chance the gears are plastic and can melt from the power increase. you could even put some LEDs in those light buckets for nighttime runs. you should open it up and see if there is room for a servo up front. it kinda looks like the steering is setup on the rear of the front tires. if so the servo may fit pretty good.

vintageshack 09-29-2016 09:06 AM

I haven't had it apart yet because my son plays with it every day! This thing is fast!! I'm not sure, but its possible it has a brushless motor to begin with! The battery seems pretty good too.. a 1300mAh 9.6v Lithium Ion that holds its charge for quite a while! It definitely needs better shocks though, as the current ones just pogo the car when it goes over any bump.. Tires are a must too.. its good on the gravel, but not so much in the grass.. The radio is a 2.4 ghz instead of the usual 27 or 49 MHz ones you get in the smaller cars..

RustedRC 09-29-2016 03:57 PM

cool sounds like you got something good to start out with.

toracer 10-01-2016 11:31 AM

Here is my Topmaxx upgraded with hobby grade electrics. Traxxas sterring servo, Dynamite speed control, 2.4ghz radio, 7.4v lipo batyery. You can use a tamiya rearend, and convert all the hubs to hobby grade, then you can bolt the wheels on too. Cost wise, it really isn't an worthy investment, though for the beginner it is a learning experience.

vintageshack 12-28-2016 05:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2194769
I decided to try the hobby grade shocks and they fit perfectly! Well, semi perfectly.. I had to remove the plastic cover from the motor to clear the shock.. These are nice because they are adjustable.. With the stock "shocks" the rear was bottoming out all the time.. I will definitely look into upgrading the bearings too. The rear wheels are pretty loose already..

collusionbdbh 04-16-2017 07:59 PM

I was wondering if you did anything further with this? I bought the same car for my son and it does the job just fine apart from the play in the rear axles/hubs, which are just terrible. A plastic axle in a plastic carrier with no bearings or bushes. I have seen some metal axles that look like existing dog bone drive shafts would fit but I have yet to find any bearing Carriers that I am sure would fit. If anyone has replaced the axles I would love to know what parts they used.

vintageshack 04-16-2017 08:24 PM

No I didn't end up doing anything with the rear yet.. It really needs something back there tho! There is way too much play.. I know if it had actual bearings there it would improve this car so much!

RustedRC 04-20-2017 01:37 AM

You might be able to use some washers to tighten it up some.

vintageshack 05-17-2017 01:25 PM

I tried using washers on the back wheels and it tightened it up quite a bit! It makes a difference in performance as well!

RustedRC 05-17-2017 06:04 PM

That's awesome. glad to hear it worked out.

Smiff 24 12-28-2017 07:41 AM

Just checkin in on the topmaxx project, any updates ?
I like modding the toy grade rides myself when projects come my way !

vintageshack 12-28-2017 08:03 AM

Sorry! No updates at this time! I may try to get a set of gripper tires for it eventually but it has been working pretty good lately!

Smiff 24 12-28-2017 08:45 AM

Hey that sounds good, still havin fun with it !
Also the shocks look great !

Santacruzhobby 01-14-2018 03:20 AM

Hi Vintageshack

I have to replace the rearshocks of the topmaxx jet panther, because they got broken.
Can you tell us which shocks exactly you used on the picture, that you have posted on the 12-29-2016?
What is the correct length for replacing the shocks?
Thanks for your help.

vintageshack 02-24-2018 04:10 AM

Hey, sorry for the late reply! I ordered these from amazon.ca: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
If the link doesn't work, they are 4 inch long shocks for a 1/10 scale buggy

collusionbdbh 03-29-2018 10:50 AM

I have actually ended up getting one of these each for my boys, the second one was on a massive sale and only cost me $40. They both have washers in the rear now and that helps a lot to remove the play from the rear wheels. I feel like it will probably come back with more use though as that plastic hub is pulled tighter against the carrier to remove the play. For now they are so much better but the tires wear pretty fast and I feel like at the point they wear out I actually might try to find a hobby grade kit that I think I will be able to make work with the electronics in these cars with some alteration and rebuild them. Something like the Turnigy SCT 2WD 1/10 Short Course truck kit from Hobby King. (I am not allow to post a link). I will have to post pictures if/went I end up doing that.

I also have a LiteHawk rush that I might do something similar with since within 30 mins run time with that car I have had to spend about $70 already on replacing broken parts. It seems like if you just look at that car wrong it breaks.

Finnurb 03-30-2018 11:32 AM

Hi. Do you guys know where I could find spare parts for this car.

I just broke the thing that holds the front swingarm.... my son was not happy.

collusionbdbh 03-30-2018 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Finnurb (Post 12417654)
I just broke the thing that holds the front swingarm.... my son was not happy.

I think you are talking about the shock tower where that top front control arm attaches. Not that it makes much difference because I don't think spare parts are available at all for these. Depending on how it is broken I would try to repair it by using a pin or staple as dowelling and gorilla glue or JB weld.

Otherwise you could beat me to my plan of using the electronics in a cheap hobby grade kit as I was talking about above.

BrendonC 04-24-2019 12:15 PM

Apologies

... for bringing back an old thread.

I just bought a TopMax Jet Panther yesterday afternoon. After charging the battery for a few hours I took it for a test run. About 10 minutes of running it back and forth on the pavement and on my gravel driveway I noticed the steering wasn’t working properly. Anyway, the steering is broken and I want to upgrade to the Traxxas but I don’t know what to get.

I’m a mechanic and engineer by trade so I have a grasp on how it all works but I have never done any work on any RC cars so I’m not familiar with the specifics as far as parts are concerned.

I paid $70 for the car and don’t mind spending that much again on it for some decent upgrades if it will make the car last for a few years.

Any help on part numbers or Amazon links for the correct steering servo and linkage ( I’m thinking Traxxas 2075 kit? ), shocks and hubs would be gratefully and eternally appreciated.

rclovermvp40 07-31-2019 07:55 AM

awesome car ! love it

vintageshack 08-10-2019 11:32 PM

A little update on the jet panther.. I'm pretty sure it got wet or something because all does now is sit there and shudder.. I really liked how this car handles so I'm thinking I'll borrow my flysky gt2b receiver from my boat and get it back on the go.. Brushed motor for now, but I still haven't ruled out replacing it for a brushless yet! Oh yeah, the rear tires are bald now too! haha

vintageshack 08-17-2019 07:38 AM

I lied.. the rear tires have been fixed.. I just forgot about it! Just came across this pic from a little while ago! Thats strips of rubber attached to the tires with lockwire! Sadly I didn't get to try out how it works because the radio is on the fritz now...https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...885665b0f4.jpg

[email protected] 01-14-2020 08:21 PM

Busco ruedas Topmaxx Jet Panther

Dónde puedo conseguir las cuatro ruedas del carrito me urgen por las mias fueron dañada por un automóvil

NICKCONRAD21 04-07-2020 04:09 PM

Replacing steering gears

has anyone had to replace the steering gears at all, if so I’d love to know what I’m looking for to order! A few teeth are busted off one of the gears. I tried posting a picture but it said I need to make 10 posts before I could include picture.. I only had about an hour of use before my daughter Took over and had some nasty collisions with the curb and apparently lost... any help would be great for replacement parts! Thanks in advance.