RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Toy-Grade RC Products (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/toy-grade-rc-products-498/)
-   -   New bright rockcrawler LR3 battery question (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/toy-grade-rc-products-498/8697526-new-bright-rockcrawler-lr3-battery-question.html)

fasty=) 04-19-2009 11:12 PM

New bright rockcrawler LR3 battery question

Hey guys i'm new to this forum, found out about it from a member on rockcrawler.com :)

I just have a few questions,

When i bought this 1/10 new bright rock i found out the battery pack was weak and useless. I've heard that i can upgrade the battery pack to 1000ma, 1600ma, or even 2400ma as long as its 9.6V. so today i went out and bought 2x 1000ma battery packs and a charger for $40. I was hoping to get at least 1600ma but the 1000ma came with battery charger so i thought i should give that a shot first. Would upgrading to 1600ma be really worth the money? I've also looked around ebay and found a 3800ma battery, can anyone tell me if this one will actually work on my R/C?

http://cgi.ebay.com/9-6V-3800mAh-bat...3286.m20.l1116

- Thanks!

Creepy Crawler 04-20-2009 08:52 AM

RE: New bright rockcrawler LR3 battery question

Fasty, welcome aboard! As long as it's 9.6v, you should be fine. The more mAh's you have the longer your run time and you should always try to find the most mAh's when buying a new battery. Are your current 1000 packs nihm or nicd? How much run time are you getting out of them? You could also try to hook your batteries in parallel (http://www.zbattery.com/Connecting-B...es-or-Parallel) by buying/building a Y cable and mount one battery in the stock location and one out front for more weight over the front axle. That way, you can disconnect them to charge them because if your charger is like mine, I can only charge up to 8 cells. Keep us up to date and check out some of our other post in here, you may get inspired as I did...

texx 04-20-2009 09:04 AM

FASTY ..
Welcome to our new forum ..[sm=thumbup.gif]

Creepy Crawler give you very good advice ..

3500 mah is very very good ..

Installed two batteries in parallel ( pos/pos .. neg/neg ) double your runtime, ..

but does not give more strength to your crawler ..:)

Creepy Crawler 04-20-2009 09:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I drew a picture to kill some time and give you an idea of a parallel battery connector. Keep in mind that the tamiaya type plugs are very high resistance and as it's been said before, switching to Dean's plugs is the way to go, although I haven't done this yet myself. I stand corrected, this is a corrected version of a Y cable for parallel connections.

yaleforscale 04-20-2009 02:14 PM

good to see you made it over fasty welcome , your in good hands here with these guys , thanks for joining us ,,:D:D:D:)

adrians3109 04-20-2009 02:25 PM

hi mate, welcome to the forum. For my LR3 i got a custom made 8cell 2800mha battery and since it did not fit in the battery compartment, i stuck it on top front part of chassis. Left long wire so i can leave it permanently in place even for charging without the need to take off body.

KE4QPF 04-20-2009 06:16 PM

ORIGINAL: Creepy Crawler

I drew a picture to kill some time and give you an idea of a parallel battery connector. Keep in mind that the tamiaya type plugs are very high resistance and as it's been said before, switching to Dean's plugs is the way to go, although I haven't done this yet myself.

I think you're going to have problems with that diagram as you're creating a series circuit with the way those plugs are wired up. The wiring should be positive-to-positive, negative-to-negative. That green wire is going to fry your stuff. Take a look at my rig. It runs on AA/penlight batteries. 2700mAh and running strongly.

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/d...k/88cba4c0.jpg

The rule of thumb...

To increase the voltage, wire things in series... positive-to-negative

To increase the amphereage, wire things in parallel... positive-to-positive, negative-to-negative

Take a look at my example above. Each AA battery only gives 1.2VDC, so to up it to 12VDC you place the 10 cells in a series circuit. From that point, you run parallel feeds to all your 12VDC items. Also note, I have overvolted my 9.6VDC rig. This will provide more torque to the motors without having to gear them down. Basically, when the motors pull juice from the battery, there will be less of a critical voltage drop in the battery below the tolerance of the motor's specs. This is where the NiCd packs that come with NB rigs fail constantly. There's such a voltage draw coming from the motor, the voltage drops to below 7.2VDC and the battery becomes cruddy. Since the NB battery packs only yield about 600mAh, there's no sustainability to keep the cells from discharging quickly.

fasty=) 04-20-2009 07:22 PM

Do you guys maybe have some kind of tutorial to do all this? Pretty overwhelming as this is my first time and i would like to learn more but taking easy steps wouldnt be bad. Do i need to purchase anything to do all this and where to get them? I prefer to buy them at some shop instead of ordering them online. If i do need to buy things for this can someone provide a picture of the things i need? That would definitely help. I'm also looking for more flex, i've seen a few topics on this but is it easy to do? Sorry for all the questions but you guys are helpful :)

Btw the 1000mah battery packs are NI-CD and i purchased a 1600mah battery pack which is NIMH

texx 04-20-2009 08:39 PM

For you fasty=)

two batteries in parallel

http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p...parallel-1.gif

two batteries in series
http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p...x/series-1.gif

fasty=) 04-20-2009 09:27 PM

wow thanks! Do you know where i can get these? Possibly the source or something like that? And how do i connect them if the battery pack is wrapped in some black casing? Do i need to take the battery apart?

- Thanks!

KE4QPF 04-21-2009 12:30 AM

ORIGINAL: fasty=)

wow thanks! Do you know where i can get these? Possibly the source or something like that? And how do i connect them if the battery pack is wrapped in some black casing? Do i need to take the battery apart?

- Thanks!

You can go to your local RadioShack and purchase these:

RC 9.6V Battery Pack Connector Repair Kit

http://rsk.imageg.net/graphics/produ...160040w345.jpg

$3.99
Model: 23-445
Catalog #: 23-445
However, you're going to need more than a pair of pliers and some strippers to make a good, solid connection... although, that method would work. You'd need to invest in a soldering iron and gain some skills there. You're still going to need to purchase 2 of these to get a Y-cable out of it the way you'll need it.

What you're seeing posted by texx are Dean's plug Y-cables. They're a little more expensive, and a tad harder to come by here in the states unless you've got a REALLY good hobby shop around town.

These are REALLY hard to find pre-fabbed as most people make them on their own. Manufacturers are leary in making these kinds of cables for fear of rocket fuel scientists blowing themselves up, to wiring these things to their chargers like dumb-dumbs and starting a fire. This is probably going to be your first GOOD test in DIY.

Also, DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT, pull ANY of the cells of packaging apart on your battery brick. Bad things happen when you do that as everything is compressed togehter for a reason. It is usually to build a series out of the cells to bring them to the required voltage. Pulling this wrapping off will most certainly break your connections between the cells, and you'll be left with trash as a result.

Let me try to 'shop up the connections so you have a tutorial.

Give me a few minutes while I work some magic... BRB!

KE4QPF 04-21-2009 12:55 AM

Here's how to use the RadioShack connections listed above in a parallel Y formation to double your amphereage using the battery pack(s) you displayed from eBay...

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/d...F/f89fdab8.jpg

Notice... all the red cables get tied together and all of the black cables get tied together. These connections will plug directly into the socket connections on your battery leads. There is no need to modify the battery. The example I show would hence give you a whopping 7600 mAh.

KE4QPF 04-21-2009 01:16 AM

A final note... you'll find that NiCd batteries will yield much poorer results than NiMH. I would recommend NiMH for any build you do. NiCds have an inherent problem whereby as they age, they tend not to charge back up to their full potential due to the cells crystalizing on the inside... in layman's terms... "The Memory Effect." When this happens, the battery slowly loses power potential and will appear as though you can only charge it up to a certain level and that's it. NiMH does not have this effect as the charging of the cells and the cellular structures within them are completely different, thus elminating the dreaded memory NiCds get after a while. Good NiMH batteries will continue to hold up to 90% of their full potential charge until they hit their life cycle end. Hope that helps. If it doesn't, just go to Wikipedia and read up the article Rechargeable Batteries.

fasty=) 04-21-2009 01:26 AM

Wow okay thanks man that helps alot! Those red and black lines you drew connecting the battery, do they need to solder those on?

I have to say thanks cause that took alot of work! :)

On another note has anyone found a way to fix the steering problem on these things? They dont seem to have much power and i cant steer very well, on videos i;ve seen everyone seems to have no trouble with steering. Weak motor?

KE4QPF 04-21-2009 01:28 AM

As for flex, here's a quick refresher tutorial to add DuraTrax shocks to a New Bright...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8701062/tm.htm

EDIT: It was easier just to start a new thread for easier access to others.

KE4QPF 04-21-2009 01:30 AM

ORIGINAL: fasty=)

Wow okay thanks man that helps alot! Those red and black lines you drew connecting the battery, do they need to solder those on?

I have to say thanks cause that took alot of work! :)

On another note has anyone found a way to fix the steering problem on these things? They dont seem to have much power and i cant steer very well, on videos i;ve seen everyone seems to have no trouble with steering. Weak motor?
The solder points would be where the dots are. The battery and the connectors have wires running out of them already that you can exploit. I doubt you'll need any extra cable to pull this off. There are butt connectors on these items from RadioShack you can use to crimp everything together, but don't trust a crimp connection. EVER! Just remember, red-to-red, black-to-black, and you'll be fine.

yaleforscale 05-08-2009 06:40 PM

good advice don ..:D:D:D

KE4QPF 05-08-2009 08:22 PM

I'm wondering if he took it since he's been quiet since 4/21/2009.