Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Help to absoulte newbie!

Old 11-17-2010, 05:11 AM
HogarMNE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help to absoulte newbie!

Iown electric model of Grand Chirokee monster truck, but it is far too slow, underpowered, undertorqued and battery life is too short, so it's destiny is that it waits until my kids grow up a little more so they can continue enjoying it. Anyway, with a lot of googling, Ifound something that Ilike a lot (at least the way Isaw it on the internet) - Traxxas T-MAXX3.3 (w/2.4GHz radio). As Iam living in a country far far away, and all RCpurchases can be done only via Internet with all the problems you might imagine (high taxes, slow delivery time,etc,etc), Ineed help with following:

Iwould like to order RTR model that includes all Ineed and will be needing to run it for a while (batteries, charger, fuel, spare parts, etc)
So, please, if it is not big job, give me a list of P/Ns Ineed to order in order to be fully equipped to run it and repare most frequent issues.

THANKSin advance!

EDIT:Iforgot to ask regarding fuel, is it a mixture (nitro)that Ican make by myself, or it have to be bought somewhere?Thanks again!
Or if somebody can suggest another model of RCtruck that is better.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:44 PM
ReaperGN

Default RE: Help to absoulte newbie!

The first thing is I don't know how easy it is to get fuel delivered. A lot of companies wont touch nitro. Now you could make it yourself but the hassle and difficulty out weigh just buying it. If you have never had a nitro engine and a hobby shop is not close I would suggest electric. That way you don't have to spend more time on the bench than running the truck.

Here are a couple quick questions.

Do you need to have nitro?

Do you want a monster truck or something smaller?

What do you want to do with the truck?

What is your budget?
Old 11-17-2010, 05:16 PM
osidebro

check out tower hobbies or rc superstore as a beginning. they can give you a list of all needed items. some times they also have the manuals on line. this can help you with any maintance parts. also they sell fuel on line. have fun!
Old 11-18-2010, 12:08 AM
HogarMNE

ORIGINAL: ReaperGN

Do you need to have nitro?
Not necessarily. Iam not looking to race, but to have enough power to be able to go through rough terrain. My current model (well, it is more a toy) can be used only on asphalt/concrete surface and go vert slow, although it look very much capable of something else - it is Grand Cherokee monster truck. Also, nitro will provide more "indenpendence" and much much much shorter "refill"time. But, as Isaid, Iam open to any advices.

Do you want a monster truck or something smaller?
Ireally like monster trucks

What do you want to do with the truck?
Just having fun on/off road. Much more interested in ability to go through rough terrain than to race. And it would be nice to have reverse

What is your budget?
I'd say 400-500EUR (500-700US$)

Old 11-18-2010, 02:41 PM
ReaperGN

Well today electrics are faster and offer a lot more power. With a good battery you can expect around 45 minutes of run time on one charge. The downside of electronics is that you pay the money up front where nitro is payed over time. I would look at the Traxxas E-Maxx or Summit. They would both be good for what your after. I believe the Summit does about 35mph and the E-Maxx does about 45mph. If you get the brusheless E-Maxx you get speeds of 65+mph depending on your battery. Both trucks are water proof and for normal use are almost unbreakable. With some upgrading they can become almost unbreakable even while doing huge jumps. If you go brushless with lipo battery's figure about 130 dollars for the charger and about 50-200 dollars depending on which battery you choose.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:38 PM
HogarMNE

Ihave notice on example of E-MAXXthat brushless model is almost twice more expensive than the brushed one. Is it really worth, as the price of brushed one is quite acceptable? And it comes with everything included. Is the price difference really worth it?
Old 11-18-2010, 11:51 PM
ReaperGN

That's up to you. In comparison the brushed is sweet but the brushless is BAD ___!!! The brushless has a few upgrades and is a lot faster. The motor setup on the brushless costs about 300 dollars so there is the price difference. You could buy the brushed one and upgrade later. Or buy a used one and upgrade right away or find a cheap brushless one on ebay. Both are really good trucks but its like comparing dodge viper's. The SRT10 is one of the best sports cars of all time but the ACR X is the best sports car of all time.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:13 AM
HogarMNE

Should Iupgrade brushed with LiPO batteries and if so, what kind of batteries/pack Ineed?
Old 11-19-2010, 12:35 AM
ReaperGN

You could but brushed motors really don't like lipo battery's. You would also have to buy a lipo cutoff to run lipo in the brushed truck. Your best bet is to stick with 7 cell nimh battery's. Dynamite and Trinity make some of the best. And unless you upgrade to brushless I would work on other things like the chassis.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:10 AM
bigdude191

go with the summit , its the most versatile rc monster truck on the planet . also very very big.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:13 AM
HogarMNE

As Icould find info on the net, there is 1/16 brushless and 1/10 brushed. Is this correct?
Old 11-22-2010, 05:27 PM
ReaperGN

That is correct in a way. The 1/16th summit is just a revo with a different body and longer push rods. It has none of the features that make the summit cool. And the larger summit is cool as long as you don't mind speeds around 30mph.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:32 PM
ohiowoodsrider250r
My Feedback: (2)

a brushless 1/10th e revo will give you full value for you're dollar here's something i wrote on it here on rcu awhile back the smaller scale trucks seriously limit what you can do and where you can do it.

HANDLING the e revo long famed for its great handling the e revo is a muesum of everything right in the rc world since the beginning its a buggy its a truggy...and a monster truck its a crossed cross over he he ..the e revo takes corners almost as well as a expensive racing kit with all the benefits of a big monster truck. the E revo doesn't need a groomed area to run..it can do almost everything my atv can do. remember the e revo has racing in mind and can be set up as a race truggy to be alot of fun both on and off the track.

Suspension This more than anything else truely sets the revo family apart from anything on the market. You can just look at a photo, I don't need to tell you the basics.But heres a word on how well it actually works. At each wheel you have over 6" of articulation. Thats a soda can and a piece of 2x4 under any wheel plus a bit more than even that. Yes its a racing monster truggy rock crawler cool huh? I can run my e revo fast in a rough field watching the wheels being flung violently into the air while the chassis stays reasonably level....Quite a sight actually and it makes this a great climber in addition to being a racer and an extremely fun basher. the shocks are aluminum bodied and come with a set of pistons to slow down the dampining effect if needed. Also the shocks are completely protected from stone chips as per their location up in chassis.

PARTS AVAILABILITY the e revo shares many parts with the 3905 and 3908 e maxx t maxx and entire revo / summit line up. if needed you could upgrade either or both diffs with summit lockers all e revo parts are sold on ebay dirt cheap everyday should you actually manage to break something. iv'e reccently looked into a savage flux and noticed this open flea market of parts doesn't so much exist for the the savage and driveshafts were 22.00 bucks plus shippinf for 2 i can get a set of 4 at that price for my e revo plus e revo driveshafts come with a rubber boot to seal the sliders from dirt and mud. these are plastic for both models,

CONS TO OWNERSHIP ..Jealous savage owners heckling you about their aluminum chassis. While this might seem where the tables start to turn think again, part of the reason for the e revo's bewildering ability to take so much abuse is that evey part of it is engineered to absorb the blunt force trama of your cruelity with a smile. This foresight can also be seen even in the way that the e revo's skid plates are mounted designed with room to move against one another to take serious impacts. However if i NEED to be objective about this here goes....the motor mount is not the best design iv'e ever seen to say the very lest...your big brushless motor is forced to hang on the e revo mount by two little screws with no rear support at all. if you like to launch your e revo off massive jumps reportedly it flexs so much that your spurr and pinion lose contact and tend to eat spurr gears as a result, I have never had this problem but i do big jumps not massive ones. The limits are reasonable here but it was a stupid way to mount a motor. Battary trays are to small for 4s 5000mah packs..Just 2 more friggin MM. I could have twice the runtime dam you traxxas!! i honestly tried to think of more cons...I did but i can't think of anymore, its mostly very well thoughtout more durable than i expected it to be and thanks to all the ebay sellers battling it out for customers parts are cheap.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:20 PM
Jgaff2

I would suggest emaxx brushed version. It is less expensive than the brushless version, and should do fine. It is a monster trucklike youwant, and electric is much less of a hastle than nitro unless you are experienced with nnitro.It is very fun,butwith the brushed motors you have to clean them about one every 10 runs(atleast I do).
Old 11-24-2010, 03:09 PM
mlwgf8
My Feedback: (8)

If your looking for a good nitro that won't break down much i would go with the hpi savage.  Not to knock the T-maxx, I love it but it does break down alot until you replace the stock parts.  The savage chassis is made mostly out of metal making far tougher when you bash it.  My friend bought the T-maxx and i did all of the maintence on it.  Personally the savage out runs the T-maxx when it comes to bashing and racing.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:25 PM
Chopped02

You really cannot go wrong with the Savage, E-Maxx or E-Revo. They are fun to bash around, they can take some decent abuse and the parts are readily available.

I am more of a nitro guy than electric but, in your situation, I would recomend going with an electric (brushed or brushless). Having nitro shipped to a remote area can be a pain in the rear end. If you can get someone to ship it to you, it will likely be expensive.
Old 11-25-2010, 12:24 AM
ohiowoodsrider250r
My Feedback: (2)

chopped you have them listed in entirely the wrong order lol  and i would go with electric if i were you. there are no practical advantages to nitro none at all. but a list of disadvantages to nitro "objectively speaking" nitros are always in need of a retuning.  they are also less powerful and responsive than brushless electric. not to mention you'll be hounded by more 10 yr old kids when going out in public areas. you'll also find yourself welcome in less public areas do to the noise and smell of the nitro motors.  you're car will smell like nitro on the way home from being kicked out of those areas as well. consider that a nitro to electric converison kit is offered for most popular models but you'll never find a electric to nitro kit. at least i haven't seen one. they are more of a novality these days.     
Old 11-25-2010, 07:35 AM
phmaximus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hummmmmmmm, How come has mentioned the revo 3.3? Ive got 2 Nitro cars/truggies & 3 brushless car/buggie/truck.
Yeah we all know how good brushless is, trust me im a fan, But it has its time & place

From what ive found.... Brushless motors have a stupid power bands, The high kv motors that hold the speed generally have to much torque down low, causing excessice wheel spin & wheelies, thay are uncontroalble when u go full throttle from take off... depending on the motor sometime u have to baby them off the line (this is when a nitro is faster thay have a smoothe power delivary) & can still have this problem at say 1/2 there top speed.
Yeah its cool to show mates how crazy thay are but whats the point of having a really fast r/c car is u have to baby it to PLUSS 45km/h.
Ive allso noticed electric cars seem to be weaker, Nitro cars in general are stronger.
& one of the other thing ive found is brushless motors do ware out the drivetrain faster, no doubt about it.

Here is a video of my Baja King, Its hard to tell but it now does 107km/h & I exploded a tyre showing a mate what tyre balloning is. In this clip it had the punch setting set to the lowest & was geared for a top speed of 87km/h & running a 11.1v lipo
In the vid there is a few times when i Floor it, but most of the vid is 1/2 throttle. When i floor it u can clearly see how uncontrollable it is.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xNlVuntoDg[/youtube]

Honestly the most impressive car I own is my Revo 3.3, ultimatly its not as fast as my Baja King, but it can eat it up around a track. but honestly its fast enuff for its size (check youtube for them) & i havent had to replace anything mechanical on it for over a year, It just keeps on going, one of the best part ive even run it at the track for around 2 hours No probs at all. no way would a electric car do that with out 10 batterys. with the nitro providing ur radio gear batterys aint flat u can keep racing/bashing & this has been well suited fo me if i go for a drive with friends to race a bit.. & I dont have to worry about my batterys going flat in 20min like my brushless ones

And if u are looking for something that will kill most other off road trucks around a track look at the revo... it has won awards for a reason.

But if u are bashing in carparks, roads or back yards then maby go brushless.

But if u wanna go that 1 step closer to nearly unbrakeable
Have a look at the HPI Baja 5t or 5B
There exact chinese clone is heaps cheaper and have the same reviews. & the copy ones are in ur price range, JUST
Might be more suited to u Because thay use Petrol & u just add oil to make it 2 stroke & its easy & it cheap to get petrol, and u can get it anywhere
oh and the 2stroke sound is good, & u cant beat there sheer size

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWuFzN0JTVE[/youtube]

This will be my next r/c car
Old 11-25-2010, 02:18 PM
HogarMNE

Thank you all for your tips &suggestions. From what Isaw here, Iwill probably go after brushed E-MAXX. Is there any suggestions what might be changed out from the box on this model, how it is maintained, etc. Thanks again!
Old 11-25-2010, 04:16 PM
chazm.x

Welcome from Michigan! Since you are newer tor/c,any maxx truck is perfect. They are easier to workon, the parts are cheaperand more available (might be diiferent in Yugoslavia, but you can get pretty much anythingyou need off eBay.com or towerhobbies.com).
For the E-maxx I'd go and get the brushless/waterproof edition. You'll end up driving her with the brushed motors and wantto go faster,it's inevitable, plus if you do hit the occasionalpuddle, you dont have toworry as much about ruining those expensive electronics.You can still run the Nimh packs with the BLsetup, and I'd recommend it at first until you get usedto how everything works. Then youstep it up to the Lipo packs. Night and day differencewith power. You do need a special charger to charge Lipo, but worry about getting the nimh first.
Next I'd upgrade the suspension. The traxxas big bore kit havethe strongest shock shafts and have better feel than stock shocks.Stay away from aluminum parts,(it's a personal preference and cheaper)! I have RPM A-Arms, RPMshock towers,Lunsford titanium hinge pins and turnbuckles.Titanium is lighter and stronger than steel, but it's a little more expensive. RPM's parts aresome the strongest parts made (IMO).I use stock bulkheads and haventbroken them sinceI changed toTi. (the less weight on the truck, thebetter chance survivngan accident)The main problem with the stockparts is when youcartwheel, jump,or bump somethingpretty good they tend tobreak, especially the towers, bulkheadsand a-arms. Knock on wood, butI've had some pretty goodsmashes andthe OEM parts wouldhave definitely broke, where these parts I dont have to worryabout that as much.
Thereare so many things you can do to these trucks, butwith this being said, do more research on this forum and take notes on what other people have done/recommended. Everyone does things differently, and one way will bebetter than the next. Have fun andenjoy your newaddiction