Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

cracking tyres

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 01:44 AM
indianrc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cracking tyres

I have just got some new rims for my Stampede,when I removed the tyres(by boiling) from the old rims it went all right for tho first 2 but in the other 2 the part of the tyre which was in the rim cracks in some places and a line was visible throughout(which was probably the old ca glue).So,what went wrong that the tyres cracked?please help me out.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:01 PM
ReaperGN

Default RE: cracking tyres

Are you really out in India? If so the tires probably got dry rotted. The glue probably made the tire very stiff on top of being dry which made the tire crack. What tires were they?
Old 12-18-2010, 11:12 PM
indianrc

yes buddy I am really in India.I live in a city called Nagpur which is in Maharashtra.
How could the tyres be dry cuz i boiled them to get them off the rim and i also boiled them for a minute after geting them off the rim?
Old 12-18-2010, 11:36 PM
ReaperGN

Any tire that becomes overly dry will loose strength. Then combine it with glue and it losses even more strength. Chances are all that all that was holding your tires together was the glue. So when you tried to remove them you destroyed the bond. Really old tires will do the same thing. If you want I am sure you can find the same tire or you could upgrade to something better.
Old 12-19-2010, 03:56 AM
cooldriver385

I usually use a utility knife to cut the tires of and rip the part that glues to the rim out. Then if there is any rubber left I just get some sand paper and sand it off. But boiling is probably a quicker and easier process. Even then, when I buy new tires, I get new rims.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:05 PM
nitrostam
My Feedback: (1)

if you want to be able to remove tires you need beadlock
trying to un glue tires is a very stupid idea which leaves you with messed up tires and wheels half the time just buy new one
Old 12-21-2010, 04:31 AM
indianrc

What do you exactly mean by "dry"?is it like running in dry conditions or dry while removing.
And my tyres weren't old either the were used just for 5 months.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:14 AM
only1battman

dry meaning storing them in low humidity conditions probably like where you live.  it removes all of the water molecules from the glue and the rubber of the tire.  for the glue this is ok but for the tire this will dry out the tire and and it will become stiffer and more prone to ripping.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:23 AM
indianrc

is there a way to prevent it?
thanks buddy