Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

TM523 air filter

Old 01-16-2011, 08:32 PM
maxx024

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TM523 air filter

I just installed a TM523 in my tmaxx. I started break in but noticed it wouldnt go more than 10mph max. My LHS said it was because the engine is really tight and it's cold out so break in will take awhile. I went with that and continued to run. After 7 tanks it still will not go any faster. I decided tonight to make sure the throttle was opening all the way so I removed the air filter. As soon as I removed the air filter the engine seemed to just "wake up". Without the air filter the engine just SCREAMS like nothing I've ever seen. With this I fogured the filter was jacked so I switched to a brand new one, same deal. I am using the air filter and housing I had on my Traxxas 3.3, does this not allow enough air for this engine? If not what should I be using? One of those large motor saver filters? I can't even begin to explain how insane it was after I took the filter off it was like night and day. No I did not drive it around like this and I only ran it for around 30 seconds.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:28 AM
nitrojimbo

Default RE: TM523 air filter

Keep the filter on. I'm pretty sure it's just super rich. It should be for break-in. Once you start tuning it, it should pick up speed.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:57 AM
ArloRogers
My Feedback: (1)

I run a TM523 in a Revo, love it, and it requires a larger air filter than a traxxas engine.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:23 AM
maxx024

Arlo,
What do you run for needle settings? I know factory is 6 and 5 and it's still super rich. I have run 10 tanks through it now and I want to start tuning it. I put the 1/8 scale motor saver filter on it and it runs a ton better now but still isn't opening up. I almost feel like I should start with break in time now that it's actually opening up a bit and heating up. Any ideas?
Old 01-20-2011, 11:29 AM
ArloRogers
My Feedback: (1)

It really depends on the weather. In warm weather with it dry out I run around 3 to 3 1/2 on the HSN. I live in WV so we get some pretty good swings in the weather temp from morning till night.This causes several retunes as the day goes on. I use a temp gauge to ensure that I do not over heat my engines and for reference only after tuneup. I tune by site and sound. There has to be enough oil in our adjusted mix to cause smoke when it burns or we damage the engine for lack of lubricant. Make High speed passes and 1/8 turns clockwise on your HSN until you reach best performance with good smoke. I personally run a touch on the rich side with a slightly higher idle. I find that I have fewer stalls that way. I never hear much about it, but I mark my flywheels at BDC (Bottom Dead Center) and ensure that the engine cools in this position ONLY. My engines seem to last longer that way.