Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Revo vs Savage: now what?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 07:51 PM
DeepEastKilla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Revo vs Savage: now what?

Well this subject has been beaten to death over the years. Savage or Revo, Revo or Savage? once upon a time i had my mind set on what i would get, that was a while back and now im looking again.

I do the standard looking around and bring up the Savage page and then off to look for the revo. Everything looks fine on the traxxas side and then i go to look at the Savage x 4.6. WHAT THE HECK!? what is this!? well it appears as if savage has changed up their game! Im not to pleased with the confetti body, but it looks like it comes with 2.4ghz, now thats alright, but under further inspection it looks like they changed up the suspension system and everything!

The savage had a fierce reputation for down right indestructibility so all these "upgrades" have me a bit concerned. one of the biggest changes i noticed was the shock system. they got rid of the 8 shock system and went with a "big-bore" 4 shock setup. now idk but to me it would seem like you loose a certain amount of durability right there. i would think it would make bending shock shafts a whole lot easier being that there isnt 2 shafts to stop any torque or movement. overall it seems like they are updating to become more like the revo.

So i ask, does the savage still hold that special spark that made it so much better in so many peoples eyes? now that they have given nearly everything needed to run strait from the box is the value still worth it? most of this will be speculation until the savage is released in april i am sure but id like to hear some other peoples thoughts on the subject, so spew fourth.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:24 PM
MPevine11

Default RE: Revo vs Savage: now what?

Revo any day!
Old 03-19-2011, 08:27 PM
ReaperGN

Many vehicles run only 4 shocks. And the most extreme Maxx's only use 4. So unless they are very cheap it should offer better performance. As to the rest I am not sure.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:02 PM
jbooker82
My Feedback: (4)

They did not change any susupension. It is just anodized a different color. It has the big bore shocks that use a larger daimeter shock shaft. The big bores are a sweet upgrade. They are the same ones that have been out on the savage flux.

Same savage toughness, new color scheme, better big bore shocks, tougher differential gears, and a better radio.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:04 PM
bigdogkanicsar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO it depends on what you want to do with it.
revo sits a ton lower than the savage and handles a lot better.
savage can take a beating like no other and not really meant for racing but more for bashing.
revo is more for racing but not as much for bashing annd can't really take a massive beating like the savage in comparison.

to me revo and savage are in two different classes.
so, it really does depend on what you want to do.

i'm not sayin that if you have the cash for the upgrades either or can't be turned into a basher or racer but again it takes money.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:06 PM
moezer

ORIGINAL: MPevine11

Revo any day!
ur alot of help to the OP wow.

OP the only reson they upgraded or changed the way the savage X is becuase hpi wants to keep all its profit to it self. If you buy a savage X the normal one and upgrade it from buying the parts from a hobby shop then the hobby shop is making some money from the parts that you buy.

By hpi doing all these upgrades is taking all its costs to it self, and it doesnt want to share it with 3d party sellers thats what i think.

This way you might save a little $$and HPI gains$$ by getting its costsback from making the truck and + the profit that it sells it atthat way the Hobby shops will only gain $$ from when they sell the truck, or parts that break after wards.

And a revo shouldnt be called a monster truck its a beefed up truggy
Old 03-19-2011, 10:38 PM
ReaperGN

Real truggy's run circles around the Revo. It should be called a failed Truggy.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:35 PM
bigdogkanicsar

both trucks are decent in their own field.
i'm no traxxas lover by any means but if i had to have one the revo would be it.
i am a hpi fan though but still there are pros and cons to both
Old 03-20-2011, 03:40 AM
pure speed:]

reeper do you even own a Revo? The revo is a monster truck not a truggy fool. I dont see y how people brake bulks must b landing 20 foot strait down on the nose lol, ive done a 15 foot nose dive an no problems. The revo meets and exceeds my bashing needs 20-30foot jumps nothen brakes except 4 the occasional rear cvd pop out of the diff cup or rod end. so in my oppion the revo out performs the savage and bet my os.21 drinks ALOT less fuel and is faster
Old 03-20-2011, 04:03 AM
Mclovin350z

ORIGINAL: pure speed:]

reeper do you even own a Revo? The revo is a monster truck not a truggy fool. I dont see y how people brake bulks must b landing 20 foot strait down on the nose lol, ive done a 15 foot nose dive an no problems. The revo meets and exceeds my bashing needs 20-30foot jumps nothen brakes except 4 the occasional rear cvd pop out of the diff cup or rod end. so in my oppion the revo out performs the savage and bet my os.21 drinks ALOT less fuel and is faster
What are you callingHIM a fool for? Moezer called it a truggy.

With afew simplemods a revo can become as tough or tougher than the savage. It will always be faster and handle better....it is nothing like a truggy.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:40 AM

ORIGINAL: Mclovin350z

What are you callingHIM a fool for? Moezer called it a truggy.

With afew simplemods a revo can become as tough or tougher than the savage. It will always be faster and handle better....it is nothing like a truggy.
[/quote] I said that to reeper hes said it should be called a FAILED TRUGGY LOL
Old 03-20-2011, 05:12 AM
megamaxx

i have owned both,both kick ass ,so buy one and bash the crap out of it
Old 03-20-2011, 09:57 AM
dodgedude780

They Bigbore susp is just as durable as the 8shock setup. IMO aluminum shocks are better anyways as then you only have to worry about bending shafts and not cracking the body.
Other than that they didnt change much on the new RTR 4.6.
By the older RTR, it will be cheaper, has the nicer body, the same engine, and purple come off in minutes with oven cleaner.

Can your revo do this?
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2Ekc7BGglM[/youtube]
Old 03-20-2011, 10:56 AM
DeepEastKilla

Thanks for all the great replies everyone, ill try to just throw some of my thoughts back.

@ReaperGN - yes it does seem the standard is the 4 shock setup but i had always thought that the old setup savage ran was a major part of why it could take those massive hits. unfortunately i have owned neither so this is just speculation coupled with what i have read over the years on various forums.

@jbooker82 - im not sure what you mean by saying they did not change the suspension, seems to me moving from 2 smaller shocks on each side to one larger is quite the change. Like you said they are an upgrade tho, i just have to wonder what type of shafts they use. I know traxxas has the standard shafts and then the big bore Tin shafts that are supposedly much stronger. i have bent the original shafts on my 2wd slash with VXL /2s.

@bigdogkanicsar - i have to agree with everything you said. I will post a video showing the type of stuff i do with my slash vxl (2wd). this would be my first nitro. I really dont have anywhere/anyone to race but i do like speed runs or just speeding around in a specific pattern. The revo does sit a lot lower, giving it that better handling everyone loves but it seems that it also has the adjustability to raise up the ride height and put it in somewhat of a "bashing mode" being able to handle bigger jumps and such. As far as upgrades go on my slash i have done quite a few, most of them do to wear or breakage of parts. I usually end up replacing with rpm or other "upgraded" parts when it happens but the durability of the savage would possibly bite that issue in the butt.

agreed with your second post also...

@megamaxx - LOL, now its just that whole getting the money to buy it issue : )

@dodgedude780 - You are probably right. agreed that the older on is probably a better deal. and JESUS! i dont think id ever abuse mine that bad but it would be nice to have that durability. BUT! look at the breakages at the end, your still buying parts anyway.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:05 AM
dodgedude780

You will always be buying parts, When you build a basher you need to consider what you are willing to have break. You need a weak spot. I set the dogbones and shock shafts as my weak points. They are cheap, easy to find, and easy to replace. The reason the savage can take massive jumps and survive landings is the TVP design. Its very rigid. The trucks frame bottoms out before the shocks do, and the Twin Vertical Plates hold everything solid.
As for the 4 BB shocks, they are much betterfor handling, and have a thicker shock shaft, but I still prefer the 8shock setup myself.

I've seen revo's take abuse close to that and fare almost as well, but not quite.

It takes a lot of time to turn a Savage into a Competitive racer
It takes a lot of time to turn a Revo into a competitive basher.

Both trucks are strong in their own way, I would say figure what you want to do and by the truck that fits those needs

@Purespeed, Im not trying to start a flame war, but I have YET to see a Traxxas Revo or T-maxx take the beating my savage's do. Yes they are faster on the track and out handly me in many ways, but I run savage amongst a club with 15 Revo owners, and not One of them ahs out bashed me yet. and no. None of them are stock
Old 03-20-2011, 11:11 AM
DeepEastKilla

Great points, thanks again for the clarification.

btw i guess i always assumed it would be bad to have the truck bottoming out before your shocks did, but if you think about it i guess it makes sense that it would wreck the shocks and break more parts if you have all that pressure pounding the smaller points instead of spread throughout the entire chassis!
Old 03-20-2011, 12:46 PM
rc awesome

I would get the savage IMO it's better
Old 03-20-2011, 12:49 PM
bigdogkanicsar

ORIGINAL: DeepEastKilla

btw i guess i always assumed it would be bad to have the truck bottoming out before your shocks did, but if you think about it i guess it makes sense that it would wreck the shocks and break more parts if you have all that pressure pounding the smaller points instead of spread throughout the entire chassis!
as horrible as the sound is of a chassis smackin the ground while landing a big air jump, it's less costly to scrape a chassis up as it is to break a-arms, shocks, shock towers, hinge pins, CVDs, steering knuckles, hub carriers, etc.
imo , the perfect set up would be to have the chassis hit and bottom out vs the wallet terminator set up.lol
know what i mean?
Old 03-20-2011, 12:52 PM
DeepEastKilla

LOL, i know exactly what you mean. decisions like these are TOUGH!
Old 03-20-2011, 12:54 PM
rc awesome

ORIGINAL: bigdogkanicsar

as horrible as the sound is of a chassis smackin the ground while landing a big air jump, it's less costly to scrape a chassis up as it is to break a-arms, shocks, shock towers, hinge pins, CVDs, steering knuckles, hub carriers, etc.
imo , the perfect set up would be to have the chassis hit and bottom out vs the wallet terminator set up.lol
know what i mean?
Yeah, but after a while that chassis hitting the ground hard is going to cause some damage

Old 03-20-2011, 01:03 PM
bigdogkanicsar

ORIGINAL: rc awesome

ORIGINAL: bigdogkanicsar

know what i mean?
Yeah, but after a while that chassis hitting the ground hard is going to cause some damage

replacing a chassis every once in a great blue moon isn't near as costly as it is to replace all the other parts i mentioned almost every time you run
Old 03-20-2011, 01:44 PM
djyjrlz

really when landing from massive jumps in a savage all you are impacting is the skidplates, which when plastic just bend and flex without breaking. i have had my 2004 savage for the last 3 years and it has served me well. the only real thing that has failed was the engine which sadly died after nearly 15 gallons. £60 later and a brand new SH 28-p3 and its good to go for at least another 8 gallons of fuel.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:36 PM
hydroboy
My Feedback: (1)

Revo is the only Traxxas I'd consider buying, with that said my Savage has been ungodly tough. I have broken it but it was always from taking it way past the limit. put the motor and mount plate right out the bottom once! But the thing took years of abuse before that happened and it was a cheap repair! Savage if you want to get stupid with it!!!
Old 03-21-2011, 03:27 AM

HPI = $$$ costly Traxxas= $ cheep... repairs that is, cost me 10bucks just for some HPI diff cups ??? idk what do you guys think? Is HPI parts more expencive?
Old 03-21-2011, 09:50 AM
dodgedude780

but you break way more on a revo when trying to bash like a savage.

Its a trade off, its always a trade off. More speed and handling with less durability
More durability with less speed and handling.

Racer - or - Basher

Mind you, the 2009 and 2010 australian national races went to a Savage, highly modified, but still a savage

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.