Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Stampede XL-5 Questions

Old 10-03-2011, 04:18 PM
gagallagher04401
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stampede XL-5 Questions

Hello

I have a 6 year old nephew who loves RC, like me, but my 1/4 scale hpi is to much for him LOL
I want to get a couple of trucks we can go together and have fun with his uncle.

I am thinking the XL-5 version of the stampede

1. it is completly water proof
2. it has the 50% mode (littel guy has a heavy finger LOL)
3. Have heard the stampede can take a beating (it defintly will)

I want good run time!!

What is typical run time on these trucks stock? I am not interested in brushless, this is something for him and I to do and have fun in all enviroments. LOL
I want to get good run time. because I do not want to have to buy a million batteries.

Everyone mentions lipos, but I have heard a LVC alarm does not work with the XL-5 ESC.

Looking to make this this as painless and simple as possable with him.

Thanks
George
Old 10-03-2011, 05:42 PM
james_bl2003

Default RE: Stampede XL-5 Questions

The stampede is a fun truck. My son love his. It definitely takes a beating and you can go with the stock brushless stampede and it's still waterproof. He runs his off regular nimh batteries even with it being brushless its still stupid fast but you can do training mode on the esc. I highly recomend it as a starter truck plus now you can get it as 4x4.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:07 AM
gagallagher04401

Which version of the truck would be the most reliable?

Which version would get the best run times?

Remember little kids are impatient when something breaks, they can't understand why they have to wait for it to be fixed. and they don't want to stop, so less battery changes would be nice. rather not have to have a million batteries on hand.

I also need to thnk about price, looking at getting two, one for me and him. I can't spend a fortune. LOL

Thanks
George
Old 10-04-2011, 04:09 AM
LaTuFu
My Feedback: (1)

A 1/16 stampede would be a great starter truck.  Put it in training mode and he'll stay out of trouble. 

But I imagine he'll only stick with training mode for one or two runs.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:30 AM
gagallagher04401

They do not make a 1/16th scale stampede...... do they?
Old 10-04-2011, 06:43 AM
james_bl2003

there's only one size of the stampede. I prefer the brushless over the brushed personally. I've had alot of problems with traxxas brushed motors. But as far as 2wd or 4x4 thats up to you. the 2wd is cheaper than the 4x4 one but the brushed one is cheaper than the brushless. My son beats his truck hard and it seldom breaks since i upgraded his brushed one to brushless. As far as batteries if you go with lipo batteries and something like a 2s lipo with a 5000mah rating you'll get tons of run time compared to the similar sized nimhs. Then the onyx 245 charger can charge dual lipos so your not waiting on batteries to charge as much. Anyway you go the stampede is a great entry level truck that you both will enjoy for quite awhile.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:50 AM
LaTuFu
My Feedback: (1)

Blaaaaah.  My apologies.  I was thinking 1/16 Revo or Summit but was looking at the thread title when I was typing.

Summit with training mode if he's likely to run in the yard for the most part, Revo with training mode for more versatility and hopping up to speed freak later if you want.

But if you're sticking with the pede, I can't argue with you.  Brushed or brushless, 2wd or 4wd, they are fun trucks.  A great beginner truck, too.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:23 AM
scoobs92

the pede is a great starter truck my son started out on one and still has it and is now passing it down to his little bro but it will be a couple before he drives it the brushed is perfect for a 6year old bl is a bit too much even on 6cell for a kiddie and even the titan should last a bit without a adult beating on it lol
Old 10-04-2011, 10:56 AM
gagallagher04401

My biggest thing is run time. What is run time on a stock RTR 2wd brushed version with the stock nimh?

Can I use a 2S 5000mah battery on the 2wd brushed version? If so what about a LVC alarm?

If I could just get a like two batteries that would give 40 min or so of run time per battery would be ideal. I think a 2s lipo would do that.

Thank for the help
Old 10-04-2011, 11:46 AM
james_bl2003

You can run lipos on a brushed truck they make low voltage alarms u can just plug into the balancing plug on the battery then they let out a loud whistle once the battery starts getting low
Old 10-05-2011, 11:22 AM
indianrc

ORIGINAL: gagallagher04401

My biggest thing is run time. What is run time on a stock RTR 2wd brushed version with the stock nimh?

Can I use a 2S 5000mah battery on the 2wd brushed version? If so what about a LVC alarm?

If I could just get a like two batteries that would give 40 min or so of run time per battery would be ideal. I think a 2s lipo would do that.

Thank for the help
the stock XL-5 camonly take 9.6V and no lipo,but there is an XL-5 with LVD avilable on traxxas website