Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > Traxxas Monster Truck forum
Reload this Page >

Traxxas T MAXX- So far so bAD!!! Help please!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Traxxas T MAXX- So far so bAD!!! Help please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 08:47 PM
SillyStvie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traxxas T MAXX- So far so bAD!!! Help please!!!

Ok so I am a total newbie. I came on here and got some advice from people as far as what Ishould get and I ended up getting traxxas t maxx 2.5 and one of my buddies bought the same thing. With that being said, last night we BOTH had the front driver side tire fall off while breaking it in and we couldnt find the silver pins that fit into the bolt to convert the power to the wheel, so back to the hobby store we went today..... And today after another 20 minutes of running problem #2 happened................. I used the reverse, then tried going forward and its stuck in neutral. Ive tried both reverse and forward and nothing will engege. Ive tried engaging it both while running and turned off and still nothing. Iam a little frustrated to say the lease. So if any of you guys have any advice please HELP
Old 02-28-2012, 08:55 PM
SillyStvie

Default RE: Traxxas T MAXX- So far so bAD!!! Help please!!!

Please explain this the most simple way possible. Because like I said I am a newbie
Old 02-28-2012, 09:15 PM
TheKennyKiller
Banned

Sounds like the gear selector might be stuck. I'm not familiar with the T-Maxx but many moons ago when I had a Revo 3.3 I remember the reverse was a nightmare so I installed a forward only conversion kit and gave up on reverse.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:36 PM
SillyStvie

Damn... The reverse was one of the reasons I went with the T MAXX.... This is irritating and stressful. How much will that cost?
Old 02-28-2012, 10:55 PM
TheKennyKiller
Banned

Give the linkage for the gear selector a little wiggle, might work. Does the servo do anything when you try to put it in reverse? Might even be the servo playing up. From memory the forward only kit was pretty cheap, around $15 maybe but if you like having reverse it might be worth while figuring out whats wrong. It can't hurt to take the tranny apart and inspect it if you're comfortable working on your truck, just make sure you take note of what gears go where. Here is an exploded view if you decide to give it a go.
http://traxxas.com/sites/default/fil...ion-2008_0.pdf
Old 02-28-2012, 11:23 PM
SillyStvie

OK so after a little closer inspection I noticed that the "spur gear" has some teeth that are chewed up pretty bad. The smaller gear coming out of the motor that looks like it should power the sput gear is turning fine, and does not appear to be damaged at all. So any ideas what would cause the spur gear to get tore up like that after only an hour or two at the absolute most? Are there any useful tips or things i need to pay attention to while replacting the spur gear? And while I am replacing that spur gear are there any other common upgrades that I should do while I am at it?
Old 02-28-2012, 11:59 PM
TheKennyKiller
Banned

There are a few reasons why the spur gear can get eaten up like incorrect gear mesh, landing a jump with the throttle on and if the slipper clutch is too tight. Check your manual when your replacing the spur for how to set the right gear mesh and how to adjust the slipper clutch.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:15 AM
SillyStvie

ok I will do that when I get the new one. Hopefully that is all it is. The gear coming out of the motor is spinning properly but the spur gear isnt at all. but if I try to spin it with my hand when the motor is going then the spur gear takes off for a second..... Is that normal symptoms for a spear gear going out? I just want to make sure that the spur gear is my only problem.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:36 AM
Snook Man

Hard to say if there are any other issues other than the spur gear, but if it has chewed up/missing teeth it needs replaced.

Since you are a newbie I recommend picking up a few spare spur gears. Until you have a little experience with setting the mesh between the clutch bell (gear on engine) and the spur correctly you will probably chew up a few.

Don’t forget to swap the red friction pegs in the old spur into the new, or get new friction pegs.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:53 AM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Better yet why don't you take it back to the hobby shop and see if them can help you with your issues..
Old 02-29-2012, 09:49 AM
pyromatic177

Or just sell it like i did with mine LOL
Old 02-29-2012, 11:06 AM
chriz2388

I also debated selling my nitro t-maxx 3.3 I have two e-maxx well my brother hasn't used it in 2 yrs so its basically mine which is the waterproof one and the other is brushless. Most of the time I only use my brushless just because of how easy it is and the power is just ridiculous. I use the other maxx for anything with water mud or especially deep snow. But there is somehing about nitro that keeps me from selling it may be the smell and the noise and all the attention it gets. I always have little kids coming out to watch it go up and down the street and in my front yard. But nitro has its headaches with always tunning it and ignitors and the price of fuel is always going up. Since your a newbie I would recommend may be trading in your nitro for electric just so its easier and so you can drive right away.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:44 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: t9dragon

Better yet why don't you take it back to the hobby shop and see if them can help you with your issues..
exactly.... my first thoughts, did he check anything before its first run, like wheel nuts, screws....????
Old 02-29-2012, 04:08 PM
silvermansteve
My Feedback: (2)

op, you might not like to hear this, but nitro cars and electrics too, debatably to a lesser extent are from time to time going to have some issues reqiring parts replacement, tweaking and tinkering. these things do not run like refrigerators or washing machines. nitro especially is not for people averse to engaging in mechanical tinkering. not that it's so terribly difficult, but you're going to have issues arise.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:22 PM
SillyStvie

I dont mind working on them and putting time into them. Thats the main reason I want with nitro and not electric. But since I am new to all this i figured it cant hurt to get some advice before i start making my own guesses as to problems.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:47 PM
Max_Power

SillyStvie. First replace the spur and anything else you can see that is visibly or obviously wrong. If you have a good hobby shop that sold it to you they should be able to help you out. If not search youtube there are a lot of instructional videos. Traxxas phone support is also helpful. As far as reverse first thing I would do would be to take the body off and without the engine running move the selector and see if you can see the servo(you can identify which one with the manual) moves. Don't tear into the trans if the servo doesnt move as it is likely a servo/radio issue. this will help you seperate a internal trans problem from a control(radio/servo) problem. Let us know what you find. Are your batteries fresh or charged?

Does anyone but me get tired of hearing people say "just sell it" , or "sell it and get a x"?....are these just kids who did'nt have to work and earn the money to buy their models?, ...Or do people just give up that easy? I've been in RC of some sort for 25 years and can say 99% of models will work fine and are boatloads of fun if you take your time to learn how it works and follow the directions. I hope newcomers realize that half of the advice on the internet is posted by people who read it posted by another person and probably neither of them even have a model. Sick in there Stevie...The T-maxx is a great truck and will payoff with tons of fun once you get past the small learning curve! Millions sold and still in production proves it! Have fun! Todd
Old 02-29-2012, 10:20 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i whoop the crap out of my 1999 T-maxx with a ported trinity picco .15 (around 1.5hp) and have only busted a spur, a knuckle and a 13yr old diff.

install RPM arms and deactivate the reverse system and its ready to go,(i rippped out the servo and bent the linkage to fit in a hole and press against the gear changer (a little mickey mouse but works a charm) no need for reverse.

these are not the best, fastest or most durable trucks out there, but they are cheap to fix and parts are everywhere, and once RPM arms are on there it rarely breaks.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:14 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hummm i actially fitted reverse to my revo platnium... & havent looked back... very usefull

here is one use

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuqtpyT-UsI[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zfBKTk3VaE[/youtube]
Old 03-04-2012, 03:53 PM
dspaeth4

I had the same thing happen to me on my tmaxx and it turned out to be the slipper clutch was way too lose hope this helps