Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

motor for my t-maxx

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 05:21 AM
russ81072

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default motor for my t-maxx

Ok guys here is the question,I want to replace the 3.3 in my maxx with something different, I like the truck just not the motor. what is the best motor to get that woukd be a direct bolt on without changing much that will hold a tune better than the 3.3, I am not looking for a racing motor, just one that is better than the 3.3 any suggestions?
Old 06-10-2013, 01:16 PM
russ81072

Default RE: motor for my t-maxx

I guess no one gets on the forums anymore, that stinks, this was a good place for help and info. but lately no one has been on here

I am just trying to get some advice about a different motor for my t-maxx.

Old 06-10-2013, 01:34 PM
NOVAMEGA

That losi 3.4 small block is a super powerful motor (it'll flip a savage) ... Then there's the dynamite mach 2 .19.... OS .18 or .21..RB has a motor..I know there's a few others I'm leaving out
Old 06-10-2013, 01:52 PM
russ81072

Thanks nova, I have two 3.3 motors with weak compression and I was just trying to find something different to put in it

all I did it seemed was tune the 3.3 every time I wanted to run it. my savage doesn't need tuning hardly at all

I tuned the savage last april, pulled it out two weeks ago and it was running great. I like both my trucks but it seems I am working on the maxx more that running it. I will check into those motors you mentioned. I did read that the dynamite mach2 .21 had backplate issues tho, did they fix that?

I have no idea what to do with two 3.3 motors, unless I try to rebuild them. I have rebuilt real motors for cars , but never a nitro motor. Can't be very hard seeing as how its a one cylinder motor.

Old 06-10-2013, 01:53 PM
russ81072

I remember when I first joined this forum it was busy as heck around here, now it seems to have died out a lot around here on RCU.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:38 PM
NOVAMEGA

Yeah it's slowed down a bit.. I just started using a Mach 2.21 in my savage. It's only a gallon old but so far it's not leaky. I told myself I was going to seal it after a gallon but I'm just going to leave it alone for right now. I'd recommend a Mach 2 .21.
There is a direct drop in from them also the Mach 2 .19t. from video I've seen it looks pretty powerful to.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:22 PM
silverman1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you do get the mach it is very simple to seal it. Look at one of squirrels videos, it is a 10 minute job with the motor being out of the truck. Use high temp rtv copper sealant. I had lots of problems blowing up the 2.5's. I never had that issue with any other rc motor except except the super tigre .27 total and complete junk!!

Good luck
Old 06-12-2013, 11:04 AM
russ81072

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the help. I did see the Mach2 .21 and the .19 on line, they are a little cheaper than the 3.3. I don't know, maybe the 3.3's might need to be sealed. I never tried it. I have squirrel as a favorite in my youtube account, i'll give it a look and see what he has on his channel.

I was going to go with the losi 3.4, but I think it needs to be custom fit to the max, so i'll just go with the mach2 motors. the .19 mach is suspose to be a direct drop in, not sure about the .21 mach tho. my t-maxx is just my back yard basher so I don't need any real fancy expensive motors, besides my stepson plays with that truck a lot. he wants to learn about my hobby so I am teaching him as much as I know.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:45 PM
chaosrchobbies13

I know its an old thread. But has anyone heard of any new drop in engines going to be produced for the tmaxx. Picco, sirio, well pretty much of all the drop ins are discontinued. Been waiting on the picco .26 piston and sleeve to come off back order just to find out its not gonna happen. Not really ready to live off $260 os. Engines plus the modding expense. Has anyone heard anything on a new drop in???? I hope the tmaxx doesn't die after a decade. I love giving the Revos a hard time at the track.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:57 PM
russ81072

I have been looking at the dynamite mach2 .21 and the mach2 .19 for my maxx. the .19 is a direct drop in for the max, but if you are looking for a high performance motor than ask supertib or foxy, they are the motor guys around here.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:36 AM
Valgath

ofna picco maxx .26
Old 06-14-2013, 02:34 AM
russ81072

That's a nice motor valgath, but its a little out of my price range right now. just looking for a good motor that wont break my bank.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:23 PM
chaosrchobbies13

Since 2002 when I started I've ran a lot of engines from the the pro .15 to the picco .26 but wow there's no rebuilds out there for them. I like the motor but can't play or race waiting for rebuilds or parts to show up on the bay again. Just curious if these manufacturing companies making drop ins for the maxx are going to be coming out with something new or is the beloved tmaxx gone after so long. Guess I'm gonna have to find a way to purchase like 5 picco, os 21tm, or sirio .27 just to stock up until something gives. I haven't ran a mach yet may have to try one and see what its about. Just looking a real good engine to drop in the maxx to keep the revos with rbs tame at the track lol. Anyone here's of anything coming out with parts availability please post. Ill never closet the maxx but when all there is "discounted" and the 3.3. Well hell I can't say.  Lol
Old 06-14-2013, 09:51 PM
russ81072

ok, I bought the dynamite mach 2 .19t for my t-maxx. when I get installed and broke in I will give an update on how I think it runs. suspose to be a direct drop in, we will see.should be here by Tuesday or Wednesday.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:00 PM
chaosrchobbies13

I'd appreciate it russ. I have went out and bought another OS today. Figure I'd send it off and see how she plays in the maxx. Modded .18tz should be pretty nasty without the damaging effects and the backflips lol. I'd like to know about the mach though my sons 2.5 has had it bought a lot off fleabay and out of 7 engines sorry 12 they were all TRASH. Granted I sell on there too but junk is junk and should be left there not to use as a profit builder. Ok enough with the rants.. let me know russ thanks again.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:23 AM
russ81072

I got mine off ebay too, we'll see how it is. I got it from a hobby store that sells on there. I usually do not buy anything unless its from a top rated seller. all the rc stuff I got from ebay so far has been good quality stuff, first time buying a motor tho, should be interesting. hopefully it will be here this week and I can get it in and broke in and then I can give my report on it. i will be updating soon.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:11 PM
russ81072

So dynamite did not fix the issue with the starting system not fitting properly on the back of the motor. they susposedly updated the back plate on the motor, but the one I bought did not work. So I sent it back and I am waiting to get my money back. Once I get the money back I will try and find something else for my t-maxx or I might just order a new 3.3 from traxxas.