Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Stampede 4x4 upgrade dissapointment

Old 10-04-2015, 04:03 AM
h22a4
My Feedback: (50)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stampede 4x4 upgrade dissapointment

So I have been working on my stampede 4x4 for quite some time now upgrading everything I could and I am a bit disappointed with the outcome. I have complete xo1 axles diffs hub carriers rpm arms MMP Kershaw 2400kv motor traxxas big bores proline road hawgs. I converted it to a 4x4 rustler because I liked the look and most of my friends run rustlers. I am geared 54/20 I believe running 4s and it just is not that fast top end the get up and go is there but not the top end I am not sure how much larger of a pinion will fit. Just looking for some input.

Last edited by h22a4; 10-04-2015 at 04:55 AM.
Old 10-04-2015, 07:04 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have a 370 gear ratio now. That is why you have a lot of torque off of the line with a low high end speed.
Putting a larger pinion on will make it worse. Either a larger spur and your existing pinion or your existing spur and a smaller pinion for higher speeds .
Old 10-09-2015, 09:44 AM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
You have a 370 gear ratio now. That is why you have a lot of torque off of the line with a low high end speed.
Putting a larger pinion on will make it worse. Either a larger spur and your existing pinion or your existing spur and a smaller pinion for higher speeds .
Actually the 20/54 gearing makes for a pinion/spur reduction ratio of 2.7:1, the diffs have a 2.85:1 reduction ratio for a 7.68:1 total reduction ratio. Plug that in with 4s, 2400kv, 3.5" tall Road Hawg II tires and you get a 48mph theoretical top speed before any tire ballooning is factored in. I'd say in reality your pretty close to that as you should have enough power to achieve very close to max theoretical motor rpm. As for your statement about pinion/spur sizes you are incorrect. A larger pinion will increase top speed while a larger spur will decrease top speed.

Back to the OP. It's a little unclear as to what you're looking for but it sounds like you're looking for more top speed. If that's the case have a look in the manual (online at Traxxas.com) for the truck. In it you'll find what gearing options will fit the truck. Smaller 52t and 50t spurs are available if you can't fit a larger pinion. Just be sure to watch you're temps anytime you make a gearing change.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:20 PM
h22a4
My Feedback: (50)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was shooting for to speed but have decided to go back to the original idea of a bulletproof basher. So on go the trenchers and hello 3s. Thanks for the input if I decide to switch back I will go for a smaller spur and maybe some xo-1 tires.