Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

converting older emaxx to brushless

Old 07-03-2016, 07:21 AM
Ewadz3006

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default converting older emaxx to brushless

I have an older emaxx. I think the esc is messing up, the one battery doesn't seem to be working. it has voltage going to the esc, but it doesn't make a difference if its hooked up or not.
My options are finding a new esc or maybe switching to brushless. For brushless, what all will I need? Is there a kit that you can buy? I'm not looking for ridiculous performance. I want it as fast as it is now, a little more would be great, but i don't want to dump a bunch of money into this thing to handle more power. What would it cost to just do a basic brushless switchover?

I don't race or anything. and just drive it around the yard for the most part. I let the nieces and nephews drive it.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:50 PM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Double check the connectors on the esc and battery, make sure they're making good contact.

If you have a 3906 Emaxx you're better off sticking to brushed, in which case I'd look for an EVX2 esc. Going brushless on that truck can be problematic. If you go with a 1/8 system on 4s like you should the power will kill the ENTIRE drivetrain. A 1/8 system on 3s would be easier on the drivetrain but you lose efficiency and knowledge base as very few go this route so you'll be on your own. Some claim good luck (motor temp wise) with 550 4 pole SCT systems on 3s and with the 2spd it can work out ok with proper gearing. Keep it geared for under 30mph if you go this route and monitor temps carefully. The drivetrain is still going to be near its limit at this lower level though.
Old 07-06-2016, 02:30 AM
Maxximize

Take a look at the Hobbywing Quicrun WP 860 Dual, it's about the cheapest brushed dual ESC there is. I've seen them in Clodbusters and many other old school dual motor trucks. It only has one battery lead, but you could run 2 6 cell packs with a series adapter. I'm not sure how well it would handle the stock motors with that kind of voltage, though. Most the clods run old mod motors with one end bell reversed for the second motor, but they are generally 540 mod motors with around 23 or more turns. You're best option is probably to find a EVX2 off Ebay and just run the stock motors. The drive train would likely handle more mild brushless motors, but the ones I'm thinking of aren't made to handle higher than 7.4 volts, so they would likely be slower than the stock 21 turn Titans are.

All that said, the issue you're having could just be the battery connectors. Those Tamiya connectors are just about the worst ones you can get, and it's very likely they aren't making good contact anymore. I've had them melt on me many times in the past. Now days I convert my ESC's to Traxxas connectors before I even run it if they have the Tamiya ones on there. Clip them off and try some of XT-60 connectors. Those are pretty cheap, but still work much better than the Tamiya ones do and they're very easy to solder. If it still doesn't work and your stock ESC is dead, you can de solder the XT-60 connectors and re use them later. You can try hot wiring the batteries directly to the ESC after clipping the Tamiya connector off as well to test it, but I prefer not to do that. If you end up getting the EVX2, you'll have to solder some Traxxas connectors on your existing batteries or change the ESC over to XT-60 or XT-90. Whatever you end up doing, it's in your best interest to not use the Tamiya connectors.
Old 07-07-2016, 07:18 AM
Ewadz3006

Originally Posted by Maxximize View Post

All that said, the issue you're having could just be the battery connectors. Those Tamiya connectors are just about the worst ones you can get, and it's very likely they aren't making good contact anymore. I've had them melt on me many times in the past. Now days I convert my ESC's to Traxxas connectors before I even run it if they have the Tamiya ones on there. Clip them off and try some of XT-60 connectors. Those are pretty cheap, but still work much better than the Tamiya ones do and they're very easy to solder. If it still doesn't work and your stock ESC is dead, you can de solder the XT-60 connectors and re use them later. You can try hot wiring the batteries directly to the ESC after clipping the Tamiya connector off as well to test it, but I prefer not to do that. If you end up getting the EVX2, you'll have to solder some Traxxas connectors on your existing batteries or change the ESC over to XT-60 or XT-90. Whatever you end up doing, it's in your best interest to not use the Tamiya connectors.
I actually have lightspeed connectors on it. And i was thinking the same thing but I checked voltage after the connector and voltage was there. I may take the esc itself apart there may be a bad connection. Most likely I will buy a evx2 and go with the revolver 700 motors. if i want a little more. I'm cheap though and I just have this so my friends and family can play with it. it really doesnt do too much for me.