Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Stampede: Getting back in after 10 years

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 08:42 AM
mitchnc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stampede: Getting back in after 10 years

Hey everyone!
I'm about to be a Stampede 4x4 owner. I ordered it today.
My last RC was a Rustler about 10 years ago. The 5-minute run time of NiCad turned me off and I sold everything.

I'm excited about the new battery technology and the Stampede has features that would have been expensive upgrades back in the day (ESC was a luxury).

Looking forward to checking out everyone's mods and getting back into the community.
Already drooling over the blue aluminum parts.

I guess I'll start reading through the threads to find out what the initial must-have mods are.
Old 08-06-2017, 04:09 AM
MongoPete

Hi,

How did you decide? Is it VXL? I want a pede to run with my son's slash but I can't decide which option to get! I know I just want to bash and have fun, but I'm worried that 2WD won't handle rough terrain and snow well. With 2WD, I'm worried that if I go VXL or upgrade to brushless later on, it will require mods to handle the power and be drivable.
Old 08-06-2017, 04:34 AM
mitchnc

I read lots of reviews!
I didn't go with the VXL just because I wanted to keep the cost down.

I chose the 4x4 because I have 5 acres with lots of crazy terrain. I'm not as interested in going 50mph as I am in driving along the creek bed or over rock piles.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:09 AM
mitchnc

I just ran it with the GPR 5000mAH LiPo. 40 minutes of play time!
That's nothing like the old days.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:50 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by mitchnc
I just ran it with the GPR 5000mAH LiPo. 40 minutes of play time!
That's nothing like the old days.
Amen brother!

You will find almost endless amounts of aftermarket parts for your platform. I'm not much of a monster truck pursuits, but if I were, the Stampede is always a good call.
Old 08-10-2017, 01:21 PM
mitchnc

I probably won't even use the included NiMH. For $35 I'll just get another GPR LiPo and not have to remember to change the low voltage detection on and off.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:08 AM
Jim85IROC

A few years back, I got back into RC for the same reason. I'd sold off my stuff back in the late 90s because the battery life sucked, and the vehicles didn't have the power to go through grass, which is where 90% of my usage was. Years later I was visiting my college buddy, who was smart enough to keep his RC. He'd gotten into flying planes, and showed me what his same RC could do with one of his 2S lipo batteries. That was all it took for me! I bought a used Stampede 4x4 and quickly got hooked.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:48 PM
TRAXXIAL

The brushed 4x4 is a great choice! Mine started brushed,and with a 2s lipo (gensace 50c 5000mah) it was a lot of fun! The first upgrades I would recommend are an RPM front bumper and Traxxas aluminum shock caps. My RPM bumper has taken many hard impacts and has saved the truck from damage. The stock plastic shock caps will eventually pop off the shock bodies when landing a jump and it's not cool. The aluminum ones are great and I have had no issues with them coming off.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:29 AM
Jonbass

I bought a 2WD brushed stampede for my son (and a slash for myself) and I am really happy with it. I also bought the proline sand paws rear tires because we are primarily driving on snow. The stampede does really well in th snow. Much better than my slash. As a starter package, it is great and I don’t think he will need to go brushless.

i agree about the bumper. The first day he ran on full speed mode he ran into a tree and the little bumper shattered (it was -20C). I ordered a rpm slash bumper as most parts are interchangeable between the two and the slash bumper is wider.