Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Help with t maxx

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 04:40 AM
jbofky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with t maxx

I had a traxxas stadium truck about 25 years ago when I was a kid. Sold it to get a Lost LXT with a nitro conversion kit. It never ran right and I gave up. Then 12+years ago, I ran across a used tmaxx at an estate auction. Knowing how expensive they were new, I paid $75 for it and thought I'd fix it pretty cheap. Life happened and it never got looked at.

My six year old son is buying a rock crawler and I figured I'd dig my old tmaxx out and get it going. Sent it to a hobby shop with my wife yesterday and the guy said it wasn't worth fixing but he'd give me $40 for it. He said the engine is locked up. Its a .15. What do you guys think? Is it an old design that I can't get parts for anymore? Would I be in deeper than what it's worth?

Last edited by jbofky; 01-04-2018 at 04:59 AM. Reason: I accidentally deleted a portion
Old 01-04-2018, 05:00 AM
jbofky

I know it's going to be hard to answer my questions without pictures but I can't figure out how to add them.

Last edited by jbofky; 01-04-2018 at 05:02 AM. Reason: trying to figure out pictures
Old 01-04-2018, 06:05 AM
jbofky

It's doubtful that I'll figure the pictures out. But just to give you an idea of what I'm dealing with, the front shock tower is broken, all shocks are leaking oil, there's loose wires hanging, duct tape around the battery pack for the servos, he said the engine's locked but I may be able to use penetrating oil to free it up. And I don't know anything about the transmission or differentials.
Old 01-06-2018, 04:19 AM
RCaeroguy
My Feedback: (4)

thinking about the parts it needs and most likely a radio system, servos, Rx battery, ez start battery & charger (unless it's pull start). You might be into it for a couple hundred bucks....
A new T-Maxx 3.3 with TSM is around $500ish. Your call.
Go through it and make a list.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:16 AM
Smiff 24

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most of the issues your talking about can be fixed and worked thru... theres a lot of youtube to walk you thru most
if not all of it.
As far as the locked up engine, its probably due to solidified fuel gumming up the inside.
there are several ways to go about freeing the engine up and cleaning out the gunk,
loose wires....does it have the ez start system on it ? (what are the loose wires going to or coming from)
Like RCaeroguy said, go thru it and post more detailed questions and pics when you can, and well try n help !
Hopefully it wont be a lot of $$$$
Old 01-22-2018, 04:18 PM
ponyXpress

I restoring a old t-maxx from 2000 and it's not that easy to find parts. I recently decided to repair it and install a new motor. In my case, everything is working good, except the motor.

Now that I'm in this about $400, (half in repairs for bent out-dirves and the other half for a new motor setup), I question if it wouldn't be better to just have started over with a new truck. At the end, I do not think I will save any money or certainly not going to save time.

Good luck!