Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Traxxas Revo 3.3 Engine Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 06:38 PM
Henriquesafar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traxxas Revo 3.3 Engine Upgrade

Hi guys.

1st.. sorry for the english...

2nd... i sold my RC Nitro Revo 2.5 12 years ago. Last month i have decided to buy a new one and bought the Revo 3.3.

3rd... now... i bought some Robinson Racing gears and want to make a ROCKET on acceleratio AND topspeed. So... first step is to upgrade my engine.

I have read a lot... BUT... many good brands that everybody remmend are out oof the market. (New Era Mounts, Picco .26 max,.....)

what we have... Traxxas BigBlock kit, Robinson Racing transmission gear, center diff, rpm arms and +-200 bucks...

what we need... a good engine that fits well (i would like to keep pull start or rotostart) and just a little modifications on stock car structure..

What do you recommend?

Thx
Old 03-02-2018, 04:24 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

If you can build the truck’s driveline strong enough, go with a Novarossi Legend 28-8. Comes as a rotostarter or a Pullstart. Use a Nova 9886SS pipe in it and a conical manifold - 41032 is popular. This engine is pretty brutal though - a modified Legend tosses my 13lb 1/8 LST2 around like a rag doll. If you want balls out craziness, get a modified one. Stock they run $190 from Novarossidirect.com Modifieds run about $300 from TheNitroShop. Picco is a wonderful engine too, but more expensive than a Nova and make the same power.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:52 PM
Henriquesafar

I got it... do i need Bigblock kit for this one? Do i need to move transmission?

Its more expensive LRP .30 and. 32. Do you know if they fit?

one less expensive option is Dynamite .28 Mach 2 Big Red, and it will be around 150 bucks.. (easy replacement parts)
Old 03-05-2018, 07:11 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by Henriquesafar
I got it... do i need Bigblock kit for this one? Do i need to move transmission?

Its more expensive LRP .30 and. 32. Do you know if they fit?

one less expensive option is Dynamite .28 Mach 2 Big Red, and it will be around 150 bucks.. (easy replacement parts)
You will need the big block kit to fIt a standard big block engine.

Forget about the LRP and the other engines. Compared to the Nova, the rest is junk. And I *used* to use the “junk” and loudly advocate for them. Not anymore. I’ve seen the light. It’s not all about saving a buck anymore. Quality stomps price for me these days.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:16 AM
Henriquesafar

Hi!

I got it... so it will be a good choice.

Last questions....

1) Do i need to buy new Air Filter? (I have the stock Traxxas one)
2) Do i need to buy a new Exaust Pipe? (I have the stock Traxxas one, and it is TOO expensive)
3) Does this Novarossi Exhaust Gas Cooler really works? (better runt time and lower temperature) amainhobbies novarossi-exhaust-gas-cooler-nvr36000
4) Can i use TRX3.3 Engines flywhell, clucht, bearings.....?
5) Its hard to find genuine NovaRossi glow plug for 25 to 40 degrees celcius. Do you recommend any other?
Does this
I just found NovaRossi 28-8 with ROTOSTART. But... i found Novarossi Pull Start System .21-.28 (NVR22812). Does it fit on this engine? (I prefer PullStart)
My wish list:
1) Novarossi RexLegend 28-8rt (Rotostart)
2) Traxxas BigBlock Kit TRA5360X
3) RRP Gears (Wide Ratio)
4) Traxxas Center Diff
5) Traxxas Rear Breakes

Anything else to make it work?

Thanks a lot
Old 03-11-2018, 07:05 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by Henriquesafar
Hi!

I got it... so it will be a good choice.

Last questions....

1) Do i need to buy new Air Filter? (I have the stock Traxxas one)
Yes you need a bigger air filter. Motorsaver are very good.
2) Do i need to buy a new Exaust Pipe? (I have the stock Traxxas one, and it is TOO expensive)
Yes, you need an appropriate pipe AND header for the bigger engine.
3) Does this Novarossi Exhaust Gas Cooler really works? (better runt time and lower temperature) amainhobbies novarossi-exhaust-gas-cooler-nvr36000
I do not know if it works.
4) Can i use TRX3.3 Engines flywhell, clucht, bearings.....?
No, you should use a 1/8th scale clutch and flywheel as it will handle the power much better.
5) Its hard to find genuine NovaRossi glow plug for 25 to 40 degrees celcius. Do you recommend any other?
Is get everything from NovarossiDirect.com. They have plenty of glow plugs as well as engines and support parts at great prices.. Use C6TGC glow plugs.
Does this
I just found NovaRossi 28-8 with ROTOSTART. But... i found Novarossi Pull Start System .21-.28 (NVR22812). Does it fit on this engine? (I prefer PullStart)
. Pullstarts break too often on big block engines. Stick with the rotostarter. If you get the priming down to a science like I have, it usually takes only one pop past TDC to get it to fire and run
My wish list:
1) Novarossi RexLegend 28-8rt (Rotostart)
2) Traxxas BigBlock Kit TRA5360X
3) RRP Gears (Wide Ratio)
4) Traxxas Center Diff
5) Traxxas Rear Breakes

Anything else to make it work?

Thanks a lot
Hardened steel transmission gears and diff parts would be highly advised. I suspect the Legend 28-8 will eat the Traxxas truck for lunch if you don’t go crazy beefing up the driveline.