Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

New Traxxas Classic, nothing but trouble

Old 09-10-2021, 06:40 PM
loves nitro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Traxxas Classic, nothing but trouble

I just received my new Traxxas TMaxx 2.5 Classic today, now I have experience with nitro engines on my planes, and an HPI Savage 4.6, granted I donít have the knowledge that some of you guys have.
But since the truck is brand new I read the whole manual cover to cover, and followed every procedure by the book. after I got the Antana on and batteries in the transmitter and receiver, and charged the battery for the EZ start, I trimmed up the steering, filled the fuel tank with Traxxas 20% nitro, put the EZ starter in the socket. Both lights on the EZ start were green and I started cranking the engine. It took a while cuz itís a new engine and the fuel had to get to the carb, but it started. I noticed the idle was pretty fast, but the manual says to break it in first, then tune, so I didnít touch any carb adjustments. I ran it at 1/4 throttle for a 2 count then stopped it and started again, just like the manual says, but when I stopped the truck I had to keep the brake applied in order to keep it stoped. After about 1/4 tank of fuel I noticed it was getting sluggish and smoke was coming off the top of the engine. I immediately shut it down and waited for it to cool. Then I tried to start it again and it cranks well but wonít start, I performed the after run ordeal, again by the book. Since this is a new truck I think the best thing to do is call Traxxas tomorrow. I know theyíll walk me through some things to try, and I really hope we can resolve the issues, but I just got a bad feeling Iím gonna have to send the truck to Traxxas, I donít base that on anything but my lousy luck.
But itís a shame when you read the manual, follow it word for word by the book and still it doesnít work right, in this case not at all. If we canít get the situation resolved over the phone and I have to send the truck back pay for shipping plus pay for the repair as theres no warranty Iím gonna be pissed, but thatís the rules of the game, sometimes you win, sometimes you loose,
Paul

Last edited by loves nitro; 09-10-2021 at 06:52 PM.
Old 09-11-2021, 04:45 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

You must adjust the carburetor once the engine is started to get the engine to build heat. Those out of the box carburetor settings are ONLY to get the engine started. You do NOT break it in at those settings despite what the (horrible) instruction manual states. Furthermore, Traxxas fuel is junk and I would advise against further use of it. It has too much oil and not a good oil blend ratio. Try some Blue Thunder or Trinity Monster Horsepower fuel with 12% oil. Traxxas fuel has about 16% oil and it really only useful for the first 3-4 tanks of breaking in time. The high oil fuel will lead to one way clutch bearing slippage when starting and it will also lead to hot operating temperatures.
Old 09-12-2021, 05:05 PM
Slimpicken5

Have you replaced the glow plug yet. if not try that. I went through 2 glow plugs from break to about 5 tanks of fuel after break in. I am on my 3rd glow plug and it is on its 10+ tank.

Last edited by Slimpicken5; 09-12-2021 at 05:08 PM.
Old 09-12-2021, 07:36 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

I forgot to mention - you need to be getting the engine temp to at least 200įF, and then run the snot out of it. Donít do the babying it forever and drag out running it stupid rich. Lean it down until it will maintain around 200įF after a few good WOT runs. Donít be afraid to hit WOT for a few seconds. As long as the engine is warmed up good, it is actually good to do. Your engine should run exactly like this example below. Skip to 0:55 to ignore my rambling. This engine is a 3.3 modified, but a 2.5 isnít much different and will run very similar. Use a medium heat plug and a GOOD fuel with 20% nitro and 12% oil and you should be good to go.
Old 09-13-2021, 04:47 AM
loves nitro

Thanks so much for the info, I called Traxxas Saturday, the guy said to turn the high speed needle 1/8 turn counter clockwise to richen it up. But I canít try it until Traxxas sends me a new heat protector( the plastic thing that fits on top of the engine cylinder ) the guy said not to run it until I get that, I got no idea how that came off unless it melter off, but I think if that happened Iíd see melted plastic all over the engine, and there is none.So I guess Iíll try that but the thing is also idling really fast, can I turn down the idle while breaking it in?
Old 09-14-2021, 06:34 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

You don’t want to run stupid rich and you don’t need the head protector to run the engine. Don’t believe everything Traxxas tells you - their break-in instructions are incredibly wrong and frankly, incredibly stupid. There’s a reason the 3.3 notoriously splits conrods. Break a tight engine in cold and you will likely have problems.