Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > Traxxas Monster Truck forum
Reload this Page >

TO T MAXX OR NOT TO T MAXX...that is the question

Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

TO T MAXX OR NOT TO T MAXX...that is the question

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2003, 11:23 AM
td_enterprise

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: TO T MAXX OR NOT TO T MAXX...that is the question

Gator8, by front and rear end, I mean the suspension assemblies, not diffs. Everybody knows they are worthless. I listed putting in 1/8 scale diffs. As for the dominator, on a smooth track, I agree, the suspensions are not needed. That is why the Mugen XR hybrids are doing so well. BUT, on any tracks where the suspension is actually used, the suspensions cannot be dismissed. I have seen numerous pirates and dominators run, and they just bounce, they don't actually drive through the rough stuff. The only guy that did any good with one, was one of our local 1/8 pro class drivers, and even he couldn't get the suspension to react to the track so it actually soaked up the bumps. The Maxx suspensions are far more forgiving than the limited short travel dominator suspension, and thus easier for people to drive. I don't think that is too far off base, but again, it's my opinion, and maxx haters won't agree with any of it, just because.
Old 11-10-2003, 04:33 PM
jrtoons

Here's a short post that isn't hard to read-

ANYONE that spends more than $500 on their toy truck is an IDIOT.

END.

My opinion and you can't take it away from me - [:-]
Old 11-10-2003, 05:32 PM
The Boss

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi renegadeRC, sorry if I missunderstood you BUT!, if you were refering to "stock suspension assemblies", again, using "stock suspension assemblys" to save money on a JT havoc hybird is a waste of time and defeats the purpose of building a "race" quality kit, again they are worthless as the stock diffs are as far as strength goes..

On the topic of "suspensions", how much worse do you think a DOM suspension is considering both the T maxx and DOM use the SAME length shocks??? (front and rear), which by the way, Dominator shocks would be a HUGE upgrade on the t maxx kit, fact is the stock suspension on a DOM is just as good if not better than the t maxx suspension. The t maxx uses (pivot balls) on its ends which is NOT! proven to be better/stronger than ANY hinge pin/c hub design. One place any (pivot ball suspension) has more problems with is, its suspension (TORQUE TWIST). The t maxxes pivot ball ends can cause as much as DOUBLE! the suspension twist as conventional hinge pin/C hub designs and this is a FACT!. In my opinon It is NOT the best design for a offroad suspension. From what I understand "pivot ball suspension technoglogy" came from the onroad racing car world to make for quicker ajustments, not because it is superiour to others.

BTW, in one of your other posts you mention (MRC/Tamiya) as not having good suspensions as others because there are no pro-line suspension kits for them. How I see it is the Tamiyas TC suspension is BETTER than the t maxx suspension BECAUSE... it does NOT use a "pivot ball" end suspension, so it is NOT subject to the same suspension (torque twist) which can help cause suspension parts breakage.

As far as MRC and the NTK goes, I would suggest to you that the factory stock suspension on the MRC ntk is far beyond what the stock suspension is in a t maxx and was designed for racing right from the start. In other words... it does NOT! need to be upgraded with a pos expensive pro-line kit and the STOCK MRC ntk suspension can deal with ALOT MORE ABUSE than that of the t maxx. Look for your self, this vid clip was a new STOCK $350.00 rtr MRC ntk that we were breaking it's engine in working it's suspension AND this particular kit also has the extra heavy weight of a onboard 7.2 sub C 6 cell battery pack onboard it to. http://www.nitroextreme.com/cars_tru...s/jump_two.mov

OOPS! lol double post
Old 11-10-2003, 05:38 PM
DCLXVI

I heard you the first time...
Old 11-10-2003, 08:08 PM
bubbafien
My Feedback: (1)

gigy, which parts? EVERYTHING mentioned was fact. not one was an opinion.

i am out, this is stupid, people do not know what they are saying and just pulling **** out of the air just to say it.

t maxx owners just walk away!
bubbafien
Old 11-10-2003, 11:38 PM
The Boss

ORIGINAL: bubbafien
bubbafien

Thats just so funny to me lol, don't you mean (swim away), maybe the new t maxxes should come with snorkels LOL J/K

T MAXX LOYALISTS GOING DOWN WITH THE SHIP!!! j/k
Old 11-11-2003, 03:05 AM
Sigmun

The whole point of gator's first post, is to tell people something, not to offend or argue. If you confident of what your maxx is capable of, there is no need to come up here to argue. I think he made a great point too.
I don't own a maxx or savage, just a dom.
Old 11-11-2003, 03:39 AM
Threat2U

I purchased my T-maxx in the summer of 2000.
It has got so many gallons run through it I've lost count. Over 15 I'm sure.
True it is on engine number 3, now sporting a Traxxas 2.5. (Great motor for it).

Sure I've had to replace parts for one reason or another.
$1000 over the years including a O.S. engine, fuel and glow plugs at $3+ a pop. Sure.
That is expensive in hindsight, I suppose.

Yet I feel I have gotten more than my moneys worth.
"MORE BANG FOR THE BUCK", Guess I was lucky and didn't fall for the upgrade you are trying to warn us all against.

gator8 "15+ years and owning many/most r/c products at one time or another".
And you don't understand the appeal of the T-maxx and upgrade ability!
Not the sharpest tool in the shed are you. That is ok, we understand. You've explained it to us.

I also own other trucks and buggies and my on-roads.
Sure my T-maxx isn't the fastest. (my fusion is ;-) .

Am I a "T-MAXX LOYALISTS".
Well I own one and I am happy with it. Very happy.
Will I defend my ownership of it. Obviously. But not for the sake of Traxxas or T-maxx, they hold their own in sales and popularity.
I defended it for fun. Same reason I bought it.
You (gator8) perceivably attack the T-maxx and all it represents for the attention, because your opinions sure are self-evidently stupid.
Hope you are enjoying this, this is the attention you are begging for. (Hey look at him, he's got an opinion he know is controversial).

And to trash talk the hybrid builder is more evidence of your stupidity.
This is a hobby, its all about hop-ups, hybrids and creativity.

Question was, You don't own a Super-maxx do you:
"I could buy/build a SM toy truck any time I want, I choose NOT TO!"
SO YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. But, you think you do, and that makes it ok.
You "choose" not to. And you can't stand it when others choose different.

So, somebody wants to put a .21 on a truck designed around a .15. Let them its their choice!
So they want wider, taller, shorter, faster. Let them its their choice.

gator8. YOU WIN!! You convinced me..
You are the Poster child for anti upgrades.
gator8, The RTR boy with NO OPTIONS. Cramming his idea of what is good for you down your throat!
"I am saving them from themselves" they will all want to upgrade, the fools!
"You'll get sucked into buying crap." Follow me, your poster boy for outta the box no options!

Myself.. I want Options, Upgrades, Improvement parts, Hybrids, I want this hobby to grow and if Traxxas rules the 1/10th RTR's
for another year that is fine with me. I want more startup companies making more parts for all those content T-maxx runners.

Pick a side gator8, your ship is sinking.
"I like the new t-maxx and I think it is a good beginners entry level truck for some one that is just getting into the hobby and the fact is traxxas deserves credit because the maxx has brought many new people into this hobby and has helped make more interest for more M/T trucks. (kudos to you traxxas, you deserve it)"

If you are going to advise an "entry level" person towards the T-maxx. You'd better be prepared to back that when they want more out of it but don't want to buy another $800 toy. Maybe you could buy it back and re-advise them to the next level.

jerk.
Old 11-11-2003, 04:11 AM
TheMachine

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You still don`t get it do you ! The one main point that you choose to overlook is that when people want to run thier t-max hard they MUST buy upgrades, because it will continually break....its not a "choice" it IS a "Requirement".

BS this and BS that ! fine ! But facts are facts, and the T-Max requires the up-grades to reach the level of durability avaliable in other trucks straight off the shelf.

As for the SM stuff, more than 50% of people who end up buying SM CVD`s, diffs, tranny gears and even chassis and suspension parts do so because they MUST !... people defending the T-Max have already made that point for me with statements like "why buy 3 sets of MIP CVD`s when you can buy one set of SM ones that will last" !!!

If people had the choice of upgrading thier T-max to the nth degree OR not upgrading and just running the truck nobody here would be arguing squat ! BUT(in most cases, for most people..and EVERYONE who bashes/races hard) YOU DON`t HAVE A CHOICE.

However much you don`t like the points made by gator8, they are true and its pertenmant information often asked and requested by new members, they WILL be gratefull for hearing it and thus becoming better informed about the choices avaliable to them. Not everyone has an unlimited budget when it comes to this hobby...most are young and or only just able to afford R/C`n to begin with, I think its far more of a "bad thing" for peope to blindly encourage a product, full well knowing its "issues" but choose to still promote it because money will fix anything...with the aftermarket avaliablilty blah blah blah

Hop-ups, hybrids and upgradability are fine, people are entitled to spend however much they wish on thier trucks, what ever they may be, but the people sitting thier working on thier T-Max and wondering how they are going to pay for the broken parts.... wondering what "hop-up" may prevent this problem in the future, and being disappointed about not being able to play with thier toys would like to say **** you !

TM
The following users liked this post:
Lo picc (12-04-2021)
Old 11-11-2003, 07:06 AM
The Boss

Hi Threatend, I really don't know how to post back to your screwed up rant/spew post, but I will try... HOLY COW! you want to talk about jerks, you should look in the mirror lol. I hope you did not give yourself a stroke posting your VERY informative packed post lol. I am very happy for you that you are happy and feel that you got your moneys worth, it will make me sleep better at night knowing you are happy lol.

Let me try to explain it again... JUST FOR YOU... I DON"T CARE! LOL ...how, when, where, why, up, down, bla, bla, bla you or anyone else spends there money. SO maybe you should STOP trying to TWIST this thread into your own screwed up little fantasy in your head. Your post comes off like your a ranting lunatic yourself. Take some prozac. Anyway, what is it that I don't know?, besides you telling me I don't know what I know???lol.[sm=confused.gif]

I think you are lost in your own mind, the point of this thread is to make people think about... (bang for the buck) and (value for your money), now if you are happy, great! BUT!, you are not the only person with this toy, are you?, so just maybe there might be other people that don't see it your way, what do you think?, do you think it is possible? Do you think that I am the only one on the planet that has things to say about this product in a public disscusion forum? lol.

YES Threatend, 15+ years and I have never wanted to own ONE(1) R/C TOY that would cost me more than a grand each, because I like to have LOTS of toys lol (because I can run more than one at a time with my family) lol. But in your book I need to spend the money to own a SM so I will know what I am talking about right?. To me this is like saying, "how would you know what it feels like to be DEAD, have you ever been DEAD?". Are you sure your not the poster child for expensive R/C paper weights lol. You seem to be so upset about my posts that some one would think you work for Unlimited Enginering, especaily just to log on to confront me lol.

As far as showing stupidity and trash talking, your post far surpasses anything I could have typed, and for a person like your self to tell me not to preach or to push my opinons on to some one, your post comes off to me like your ??? Hitler (T maxx the superiour truck), again please take your own advise, Talking about craming CRAP?, your posts shows your an expert lol.

About the only thing I see eye to eye with you is quote "Myself.. I want Options, Upgrades, Improvement parts, Hybrids, I want this hobby to grow", I agree, I just don't want to feel like I have to spend $2000.$3000.$4000. or $5000. on one bloody toy truck to have a good one and I don't want to buy crap products that are pushed as race products that really are not.

'Pick a side gator8, your ship is sinking.
"I like the new t-maxx and I think it is a good beginners entry level truck for some one that is just getting into the hobby and the fact is traxxas deserves credit because the maxx has brought many new people into this hobby and has helped make more interest for more M/T trucks. (kudos to you traxxas, you deserve it) you are truly a master of marketing."
Quote "If you are going to advise an "entry level" person towards the T-maxx. You'd better be prepared to back that when they want more out of it but don't want to buy another $800 toy. Maybe you could buy it back and re-advise them to the next level.
jerk." , Sorry, I read this a few times and apparently you hit your head on the poop deck, because I compleatly missed your point. (good drugs? or what?)

Yes, I do understand the appeal and upgrade ability, I stated it did I not! lol, BUT! I find it B.S when a product that was NEVER designed as a RACE product is pushed as one with having to spend a few extra grand to get it there, BUT!, you seemed to of missed the boat on that one. If you had more substance/facts in your post instead of your ranting spewing crap at me, I could address your post better. Maybe next time take your underwear off your head when you post, it may help lol. j/k
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
btw, sorry this is such a usless post.
Old 11-11-2003, 07:59 AM
Sigmun

Yeah we have to take into consideration that there are also many people in this hobby that do not work/earn money because they are kids, or they have a common sense of mind.
If there are two products with the same price and different levels of durability/reliability (because it's what matters to me), of course i would pick the one thats more durable, so that we do not have to keep spending money......because actually some of us don't have that much money.....

It's just my opinion, may not even worth .02[]
Old 11-11-2003, 10:46 AM
G1GY

gigy, which parts? EVERYTHING mentioned was fact. not one was an opinion.

i am out, this is stupid, people do not know what they are saying and just pulling **** out of the air just to say it.

bubbafien

do some research buddy.
Seem's like all you have is internet research at the UE site and not real radio time at the track with various r/c's.

a SM WILL NOT BREAK LIKE A TITAN WILL! lets see some vid. of your truck running and how long it takes you to get it running. hope you have a lot a tape!
Even IF this where the case (which it is not!), a Titan will not rape your bank account like the SM will!

we do not NEED these products. we WANT our trucks to PERFORM their BEST. that is why we BUY our SM parts.
There are lots of other after market parts suppliers that don't bend you over at the check out! You missed the bus again junior, most expencive isn't alway's better!

UE products are not simply "RUN OFF" parts like other manufacturers. they are ENGINEERED to PERFORM better than stock and increase STRENGTH and MINIMIZE WEIGHT.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but the engineering was done by Traxxas and the parts where made out of another material by UE....THAT'S IT!! They did not invent the design. They tried to improve on what Traxxas had already done!

So bubbafien, it seem's as if your "facts" bear alot more resemblance to opinions and advertisment!

BTW
I think the whole idea of this thread was to let all the people that have been led astray by the "T-maxx fad(craze)" and the "high end hop-up(bling bling) groupies" know that there other great choices that give you more BANG for less BUCK. If you spent your money on a full SM...HOORAY FOR YOU!!!!!! Just don't fool yourself into thinking that it can't be beaten by a truck that someone only spent 5 or 6 hundred bucks on because you will be disapointed.
Old 11-11-2003, 05:32 PM
caseyddr
My Feedback: (13)

sigh people jus dont understand what you are saying gator8.. mainly the tmaxx lovers but still.
Old 11-11-2003, 06:06 PM
bubbafien

well now i know how ignorant you all really are.

the sm parts are ENGINEERED to work better, not "just made of a different material"

name a part better than ue. cant can ya?

and yes i have ALOT of track time. including a partial sm.

and my post was facts

bubbafien
Old 11-11-2003, 08:16 PM
The Boss

Hi, let me offer even another point of veiw, this veiw/suggestion may not be good for everyone BUT! it could/would be good for many others and just to repeat again, this is not ment to offend anyone with ANY expensive t maxx r/c toy, its just to offer another way to look at things.

ORIGINAL: Threat2U

This is a hobby, its all about hop-ups, hybrids and creativity.

"Myself.. I want Options, Upgrades, Improvement parts, Hybrids, I want this hobby to grow" , "I want more startup companies making more parts"

jerk.

If a person was going to spend possibly, $2000., $3000., $4000., or more on ONE!, (1) toy truck, why not just go out and buy tooling that you could make ANYTHING! you want for your toy. Just think of all the CREATIVITY you could gain by being able to make what you want when you want. Here at (House of Tools) I can buy a brand new combo "milling, lathe, drill" machine for $1500. CND which is about $1100. USD dollars (what will $1100. buy you from companys like UE?). You can even buy them cheaper used if you know where to look. With a combo machine like this you could make all the UPGRADE, OPTION, IMPROVMENT parts for any kit you like AND! you could make parts and sell them to all your freinds, you could even start your own small hobby COMPANY machining/making parts, just think of all the money you could make/save and how much help you could be to your fellow hobbyist. All your friends could be banging at your door for help to make stuff for them for r/c toys and even fullsize cars and bikes and would it not be cool to even learn how to do it?. I am suggesting to you that this is even a better bang for your buck or more value for your money than possibly spending a few thousand dollars on ONE BLOODY TOY truck.

Here is an add from my Local Tool Store here in Canada (this is a Canadian price), approx $1100 US dollars

I bought mine used here in the local (buy & sell) paper for $1000. canadian with a ton of extra bits, tooling and extra stuff

Have a nice day
Old 11-11-2003, 08:31 PM
G1GY

well now i know how ignorant you all really are.

the sm parts are ENGINEERED to work better, not "just made of a different material"

and yes i have ALOT of track time. including a partial sm.

and my post was facts

bubbafien

THIS HAS BEEN A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCMENT FROM U E!

BTW I thought said you where out of here? (Remember......T-maxx owners just walk away!?!)
Old 11-11-2003, 10:58 PM
bubbafien

you never answered my question.

name a part/company better......................

bubbafien
Old 11-12-2003, 01:44 AM
The Boss

PLEASE LET ME...

bubbafien

Hey bubba, MAN THE LIFE BOATS!!![sm=drowning.gif], don't get to full of yourself... some parts that are "better than" ue that ue uses, that ue does not make, are parts like the Ho Bao "OFNA" shocks, that they call "super shocks". Or other parts like the Hong Nor 4 shoe race clutch that again "OFNA" makes for ue. Or how about the ue 7.5 diff that again uses Ho Bao "OFNA" parts in them lol.[sm=drowning.gif] PARTS THAT COME FROM TAWAIN lol [sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 11-12-2003, 09:42 AM
td_enterprise

I'm no big UE fan, but I do like most of the parts. In partial defense, the shocks are actually designed for UE, as the kit contains some UE specified designs to it. It is an ofna part number, but it was made for UE, specially ordered by Ofna from Tawain. I spoke to Dave at Ofna about this a while ago because I wanted to buy the part number when I saw it in the parts list.

As for the T-Maxx suspension, I would like to see something stronger than pillowballs, but what I am referring to is the long travel arms. Those long shocks on the dominator are great, and excellent quality, BUT, the truck just doesn't have the suspension arms to support it. They may be heavy duty, but the arms are too far apart in the center and too short. My experience with suspension doesn't originate from RC's, but rather mx Quads. There is no substitution for long a-arms. That's why the old t-maxx with wide rims do not react like std offset rims with longer arms. It's all a geometry game. As for the UE suspension, the Racer X uses Buggy technology designed for monster trucks, which is an awesome design for RACING. I wouldn't go jumping a house with it though.
Old 11-12-2003, 04:18 PM
ExtremeRC

Ok i think I am gona input some things here. First off a sm is just a waste, I mean i own a maxx and have seen my friends sm and its just rediculous. Now i bought my maxx for 100 of my friend and since then i have spent 389 on all parts for it not to mention the deals i got from buddies at the hobby shop and i did a-arms, braces, towers, engine, mounts, turnbuckles, servo, radio, and some other things. Even though gator makes the point about the luring in of ppl to purchase upgrades for a t-maxx but if u know what you are doing and u race or bash hard most of these upgrades are worth it. After you do these things there I'm not gona say 100% chance nothing will break because everything has a breaking point but there is i would say a 90% chance that nothing will really break on a hopped up maxx. The other 10% obviously goes to diffs and engines and that sort of stuff. Again I am not starting a war with the anti T-Maxxers or T-maxxers cause I myself am one I just feel that you don't have to dump $3000 into a t-maxx to make it good.
Old 11-12-2003, 05:23 PM
The Boss

Hi RenagadeRC, SORRY[sm=lol.gif] the ue "super shocks" are NOT as special as you may think. It is a old shock design HO BAO used years ago on there own Pirate M series kits that came STOCK on many of the M series 8scale kits. HO BAO designed these shocks originaly for its own 8scale kits. HO BAO might have updated the shock, but the shocks were not designed only for ue lol.

This is my old Pirate M-3, do you notice the STOCK shocks it has on it, you will notice some simularitys to ue's "super shock" lol

As far as making the suspension work even better on the DOM, what some of us have done here is just to change the stock wheels/rims to a better offset rim from the NONG NOR (ofna) Blazer sst rim, which has a MUCH! better 50/50 offset than the DOM's stock wheels and it can/does make a diffrence in how well/fast the suspension responds. As far as "long arms" go, it would be easy and MUCH cheaper just to make a extended set of (lower) arms for the dom (for the guys that must have "long arms"), than having to spend the $big$ bucks for Pro-Lines over rated kit.

I am not impressed with the "racer x" suspension, on a t maxx it may be a big deal but in my opinon I think it would bend and stay bent or possibly bust if some one was to try to jump a house with it lol, but i have seen a 8scale buggy "house jump vid" on the web that the buggy (with a buggy suspension) did not break and continued to run and drive after the jump lol. Again if some one wanted a "racing suspension", why not just go and buy at kit that was designed as a racer and not have to try and convert a kit that was NEVER designed to be a racer lol.

I wonder how many guys with a $3000.+ sm would take it off their coffie table do this with it lol J/K

http://showcase.netins.net/web/isuguy/housejump.wmv
Old 11-12-2003, 06:42 PM
td_enterprise

Ok, let me rephrase a little bit, UE had Ofna take their super shock and change the dimensions to fit the T-Maxx sized suspension arms. That is where the Super Shock name came from. There is a different length body with different shock shafts. The overall look is very similar, and was based off of the super shock, but it is a new shock.
Old 11-12-2003, 09:03 PM
bubbafien

i already knew that and that was not the question.
it seems you people are beating around the bush, simply because you know i am RIGHT. not one company out their has any t maxx hop ups better than ue. period.

as for the racer x being durable. it is more durable than the next leading companies strongest, yet barely heavier than stock. and i can almost guarantee it would survive that. and IF would'nt their is the EXT for the big jumpers.
have you ever owned a sm product? all you say is it "looks" weak. you have no experience with one, so how can you judge?

so i am awaiting an answer, i will understand if it takes a really long time.....

bubbafien
Old 11-12-2003, 09:08 PM
tjmaxx

Who cares what other people do with there money. Chances are if they will drop $3000 into one truck they will drop $3000 into any truck. Most of the people that upgrade there trucks heavily do it for the fun and no matter what truck you throw out there the Super Maxx trucks are one of the best race trucks.
Old 11-12-2003, 09:54 PM
The Boss

i already knew that and that was not the question.
it seems you people are beating around the bush, simply because you know i am RIGHT. not one company out their has any t maxx hop ups better than ue. period.

as for the racer x being durable. it is more durable than the next leading companies strongest, yet barely heavier than stock. and i can almost guarantee it would survive that. and IF would'nt their is the EXT for the big jumpers.
have you ever owned a sm product? all you say is it "looks" weak. you have no experience with one, so how can you judge?

so i am awaiting an answer, i will understand if it takes a really long time.....

bubbafien
HUH??? LOL, YOU MUST be a SPOKESMAN FOR UE LOL[sm=bananahead.gif] what kind of glue are you snifing???[sm=lol.gif], I guess you are going to wait forever lol, because I sure don't know what the heck you are talking about lol

FACT IS the fantastic UE is using some parts/components for there kit that are made in the GOOD OLD... (UST)... LOL...U,S OF TAWIAN!!! DOH! LOL[sm=bananahead.gif], do your self a favor, learn how to read before you post lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.