Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Squishy Shocks!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2003, 01:44 PM
Starfox9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squishy Shocks!

When i push down the front of my SportMaxx the shocks are making a swishy sound...whats wrong? How can i fix it?
Old 12-28-2003, 06:07 PM
NitroNostrils

Default RE: Squishy Shocks!

Sounds like ya gotta re-bleed your shocks, meaning theres air bubbles trapped inside the shocks!!
Old 12-28-2003, 06:32 PM
wakbrdr

my tmaxx does that same thing, they work fine so i thought it was normal
Old 12-28-2003, 07:59 PM
Starfox9

***....they did a crappy job then...i just got this brand new and if its not in good working condition I WANT A NEW ONE!!! Even though im in the process of breaking it in...they should atleast give me supplies to fix it the *******s...
Old 12-29-2003, 06:30 PM
godlyone

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's OK man

Nearly ALL RTR's are mass produced overseas on fast moving assmbly lines. These assembly lines consist of people working in "some" factory for a paycheck, you can't expect these people to give a crap about how much oil or air is in your shock. It's a known and accepted fact that when you get an RTR that you should take the time to assure things are well lubricated and adjusted properly.

I have rebuilt many shocks from many companies, I hope that I have seen it all. I have opened up really nice, top-end OFNA shocks and found pistons with flash (excess plastic material) in some of the piston holes. I have opened up numerous Tamiya, Traxxas and HPI shocks and found many to be half full, or half empty, either way.

Another common issue is differentials and transmissions. I have pulled brand new diffs apart and not found a drop of grease or any sort of lubricant, I have opened some and found a smear of grease in an area furthest away from any component requiring it. Same with the Trans.

Back in the day before "RTR" this was never an issue because we built our cars and they were only as good as we built them. If ever there was an issue related to how they were modeled together, it was our own fault. As for today's mass produced RTR's, think of it this way, if you were stuck in a factory in some third-world-country and getting paid very, very little to assemble toy shocks, how much would you care?
Old 12-29-2003, 07:30 PM
NitroNostrils

Whowww and thats scarey knowing that 1:1 cars are massed produced[sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 12-30-2003, 12:48 AM
Starfox9

I just took off the front two shocks and yep....half full/half empty...what wt. oil is good for the T Maxx shocks? And how the hell doi get to the back two shocks in the front...Thanks!
Old 12-30-2003, 01:34 AM
godlyone

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stock silicone oil weight is around 35 and is good for highly bumpy terrain. If you want to start jumping, consider something heavier combined with heavier springs. The stock shocks should be able to hold 40 - 50 weight or so before you start blowing the caps off on hard landings.

All shocks come off the same, the only difference is measurable by patience.

When you fill your shocks, be careful not to introduce any more air than possible. Make sure the shaft is all the way to it's down stroke and once filled near the top, slowly work the piston up and down. While moving the piston up and down you might try turning it clockwise and counter clockwise as you go up and down, this seems to help catch more air bubbles. After you do a few shocks it becomes pretty easy and the pay-off is totally worth it. When you are finished filling up the shock and you are sure most, if not all of the air is out of them, when assembled they shouldn't make the "squishing" noise anymore. Careful, the diaphragm in the cap is easy to wad up and mutilate while screwing the cap on.
Old 12-30-2003, 01:39 PM
Starfox9

Ok thanks for the info! I think ill finish breaking it in then change the oil...
Old 12-30-2003, 06:17 PM
yamahamoto22

how do i bleed my shocks?
Old 12-30-2003, 06:22 PM
parker426

pull the piston to the bottom, fill with oil and work the piston up and down until there is no more air, make sure not to bring the piston up to high so it will suck air. after all the air is out fill the rest of the way up with oil and your done. They are not high quality shocks so you will allways have a little air in them.
Old 12-30-2003, 08:53 PM
yamahamoto22

i need more details...im a dummy at this stuff

(havent had it long)
Old 12-31-2003, 09:41 AM
Unstable

here is a how-to
[link=http://www.rcpics.net/view_feature.php?featid=10]http://www.rcpics.net/view_feature.php?featid=10[/link]

another on specifically t-maxx shocks.

[link=http://www.misbehavin-rc.com/pit-lane/shocks/es-disassemble.asp]http://www.misbehavin-rc.com/pit-lane/shocks/es-disassemble.asp[/link]

you dont have to do the whole disassembly with the new shocks... just the part about the shock oil.
Old 12-31-2003, 03:14 PM
Starfox9

I was up three hours last night trying to oil them...turns out i was putting the oil in the wrong side!