Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Crap.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2004, 04:05 PM
ATFNegotiator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crap.

Well after a fun day of driving, I decided to attempt a jump.. However the snow kind of drifted the car too much to one direction and well, it landed underneath a car. I took it out carefully (it bounced out after it hit the tire) and now the Tmaxx doesn't move :| It moves just slightly. I noticed while the car was off, I put on full throttle and the engine would rock a little. I didn't see a broken engine mount, so i'm going to try tightening all the screws. however when the car is running and i throttle it it, the car would make a high pitch "wheezing" noise as if everything was spinning, there was just no Tire movement. I'm hoping, just because of the impact, a screw or two just budged loose and I can just tighten everything. Also I need recommendations on a new plastic or metal spur gear, because mine looks like a bent up waffle.
Old 02-20-2004, 04:28 PM
Deandome
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Crap.

I must say that this is a sad, yet silly post!!

Um...if you're spur gear is a "bent up waffle" whatinthehell are you doing trying to even start the engine, much less make it "go"?!?!?

You wanna mess up the clutch, one-way or any of a myriad of other parts in the engine-to-tranny pathway? If you're spur was so sickly damaged, you might have also damaged the clutch, slipper plate (which is probably the reason it won't move!!), shafts, bearings....who knows (maybe even your engine's crankshaft!!)!!

You gotta take out the motor, check the clutch, take the spur/slipper mechanism apart & look at EVERYTHING in that general area of your poor 'lil Maxx. Dunno what to look for (I probably wouldn't!)?? Bring it to your shop or track & take it apart with someone who know's what's what.

Sorry for your loss!! Good luck!

Dean
Old 02-20-2004, 06:00 PM
ATFNegotiator

thats the thing, theres no close hobby shop that knows what theyre doing. So basically i just run it until something goes wrong :| Then i ask for help, thats the only way im going to learn about the truck, so bare w/ me pls :\
Old 02-20-2004, 06:10 PM
Deandome

Hey, I've never taken apart any of my truck's "guts", so I'd be in the same boat you are.

I was only ribbing ya' a bit because your post was very logical & topical, but then you drop in the "bent waffle" as a sidebar at the end!!

That IS why it won't move!! Don't start your engine till you remove it & inspect it, along with all the parts it's hooked up to. You probably snapped a few (all?) slipper clutch pegs, as they are designed to protect the engine & clutch during crashes and/or when you land a jump & your wheel revs don't match up to the speed at which your truck is travelling. The slipper mechanism is built AROUND your Eggo spur, so it's surely messed up somehow.

So go dig up your exploded parts chart from your T-Maxx file & start your autopsy

Dean
Old 02-20-2004, 06:28 PM
wakbrdr

the spur gear will wobble when it is not spinning fast, it the slipper clutch bearing, once the motor starts to spin it it will straightin up, Im guessing thats whats wrong with that. If the spur gear spins, check to see if the front/rear drive shafts are spinning, if they are most likely your tranny isin't hurt, try this and tell us what happens
Old 02-23-2004, 05:13 AM
mgreen

it sounds like you broke your forward gear in the transmission. Will it go in reverse?
Old 02-23-2004, 09:21 AM
allen0622

There's a great hobbyshop up my way, I just got my T-Maxx before x-mas and they've helped me quite a bit. I have also taken stuff apart on my own just because I wanted to know all I could. The only part I haven't touched yet is the tranny which I will check out as soon as my spider chassis gets here. The place is about an hour drive for you but there's some great outdoor racing starting this April with a big event once a month and racing (Monster Madness in July rocks!) every Fri. Sat. Sun. check out the webcam on a Friday night for indoor carpet offroad racing with jumps. www.rcmadness.com East Windsor CT. Any good bashing spots down your way?
Old 02-25-2004, 04:55 PM
ATFNegotiator

ORIGINAL: mgreen

it sounds like you broke your forward gear in the transmission. Will it go in reverse?
They both work, barely, Itll go into foward and reverse, but when i lightly apply the throttle, it just make a high spinning noise, and barely crawls foward or backwards, maybe the gears are just knocked out of place? I really dont feel comfortable opening up my tranny, but i have to, i have to. Should i look for any springs or something to keep my eye on, if somethings going to pop out and im gonna lose?

Also, Theres no where in Stamford thats good to drive the tmaxx, Big beach, Not a huge fan of paddles :x I do have a pretty good yard which im NOT allowed to dig up, so it leaves my friends front yard and the street. Otherwise, i don't have any friends that have rc cars.. and well, no courses, stores, or even good public places where people wont call the cops.
Old 02-25-2004, 10:03 PM
rcmtdriver2000

The steel spur gear will not break,but the insides of your tranny will. The plastic spur gear is meant to be a weak point to the drive train to prevent damage to the tranny and drivetrain. They are inexpensive throw-away parts. I have the RRP steel spur gear and I'am taking it out this weekend because it's simply not worth it. If anyone wants it let me know,hahahaha.
Old 02-25-2004, 11:29 PM
jefx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, the slipper clutch is the adjustable "weak point" that will keep your tranny from damage, not the spur gear. There is nothing wrong with a steel spur.
Old 03-06-2004, 08:37 PM
ATFNegotiator

Ok... after doing some extensive ripping apart, i noticed that my spur gear's teeth seemed to have been worn down alot. and there was a lil lip on ea gear, as if the engine had been slowly "beating" so to speak on the teeth, instead of fitting inbetween the teeth. Could this be a problem for running? (Im sure it is. but just wanted to make sure) I'm going to get a metal spur gear, but does anyone have any recommendations?
Old 03-06-2004, 08:55 PM
coupedit03
Banned

Robinson Racing Double slipper kit
Old 03-07-2004, 03:04 AM
Dr. Krass

ORIGINAL: ATFNegotiator
They both work, barely, Itll go into foward and reverse, but when i lightly apply the throttle, it just make a high spinning noise, and barely crawls foward or backwards, maybe the gears are just knocked out of place?
Well, it's happened to me more than once... Sounds like you broke an engine mount and the spur/pinion mesh was changed, resulting in the pinion grinding against the plastic spur, wearing away the spur teeth (the "high spinning noise" you heard), and that would be why it's just barely crawling forward and backwards. You'll probably need at least a new engine mount and a spur gear which should be only like $15-20 depending on where you go. Like jefx said, there is nothing wrong with a steel/metal spur gear however, if you mesh the plastic spur correctly, aviod really nasty crashes, and tighten up the engine mounting screws periodically, the plastic traxxas spur gears should last a long time. IMO, you'd be better off just getting a nice strong engine mount so this doesn't happen again. good luck
Old 03-07-2004, 09:40 AM
R/C Madman

DO what needs to be done! Replace the spur gear! After doing this and looking over everything give it a try. It won't move very well if the spur gear is shot!LOL You should go through the truck before it breaks if you don't have LHS or someone that knows what they are doing. It's hard to know how things should be when it's a big steaming pile!LOL[X(]
Old 03-07-2004, 10:28 AM
ATFNegotiator

Yeah, the engine mount was broken before, But I Fixed it, and it worked after that, i guess i didn't see much damage to the spur gear, however. After the crash, I noticed that the engine was loose (Some screws loosened up) So now I'm pretty sure i know what happened. The engine eventually vibrated out of place, and the clutch bell just ground it down. Well, now I'm off to find good places to find a Robinson Metal Spur Gear? Anyone have one that they want to sell, or know of a good place that has them for decent prices?
Old 03-07-2004, 10:45 AM
R/C Madman

You said that you don't have a LHS right?? Then just get one at WWW.TowerHobbies.com or one of the other big online hobbie shops! I have one on both of my .21 Maxx's and my Stampede and I even have a few extra. They work great and last forever. Make sure you have the mesh set right.
Old 03-07-2004, 10:50 AM
ATFNegotiator

When you say the "mesh set right" what are you referring to? The pegs? or having the teeth line up correctly?
Old 03-07-2004, 11:09 AM
R/C Madman

I am talking about the spur gear and the clutch bell not being to tight or to loose. Use the plastic that the spur gear comes in to get the right fit.
Old 03-08-2004, 01:42 AM
wheels ground
Banned

not crap jesus!

His time with Him that stopped;
its time for Him to carry out His Fatherā€™s will.
He said Heā€™d drink this cup.
Heā€™s told them all along that He would go;
they could not follow Him,
but Heā€™ll be back for them my friend.
And now He sweats these drops of blood
and He prays ā€œtake this cup from Meā€
but He knows thereā€™s no other way.
His Fatherā€™s will, He said Heā€™d take your sin,
your shame, your place upon that cross of pain and die for you.
Thereā€™s no way to repay all the pain he went hrough for you.
His reason- simply his love. Its time to see the truth-
understand thereā€™s nothing you can do.
His reason- is simply you.
It was all for, it was all for you.
He bled and died for you.
We live by grace through faith alone with Jesus Christ
who died to set us free through change; our flesh can give.
You know that even if you were the only one He died for,
that means only your sins drove the nails.
Thereā€™s no way to repay all the pain He went through for you.
His reason- simply His love. Its time to see the truth-
understand thereā€™s nothing you can do. His reason- is simply you.
It was all for, it was all for you. He bled and died for you.
It was all for, it was all for you. He bled and He died for you.
No time to hesitate my friend. No time to second guess His love.
Thereā€™s nothing else that you can do. He already gave it all for you.
All for you. All for you. All for you. All for you. Simply you.

It was all for, it was all for you. He bled and died for you.
It was all for, it was all for you. He bled and He died for you.
All for you. All for you. All for you.
Old 03-08-2004, 02:09 AM
wheels ground
Banned

Ephesians 2:8 By grace you have been saved, through faith and this not from yourself, it is a gift of God

1 corithians 2:2-4 For I resolce to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified. I came to you in weakness and fear, and with much trembling. My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration ot the Spirit's power"

John 6:44-51 No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws them, and I will raise them up at the last day. It is written in the Prophets: They will all be taught by God. Everyone who listens to the Father and learns from Him comes to Me. no one has seen the Fatherexcept the one who is from God; only he has seen the Father. I tell you the truth, one who beleives has everlasting life. I am the bread of life. Your forefathers ate the manna in the desert, yet they died.But here is the bread that comes down form heaven, which you may eat and not die. I am the living breadthat came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, they will live forever. This bread is my flesh, which i will give for the life of the world."

John 6:61-65 Jesus said'"Soes this offend you? What if you see the Son of Man ascend to were he was before! The Spiritgives life; the flesh counts for nothing. The words i have spoken to you are spirit and they are life.Yet there are some of you who do not belive." For Jesus had known from the beginningwhich of them did not beliveand who would betray him. He went on to say'"This is why i told you that no one can come to me unlessthe Father has enabled them."

2 Corithians 5:16-21 From now on we regard no one form a wordly point of view. Though we once regarded Christ in this way, we do so no longer. Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, they are a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come! All this is from God, who reconciled us to Him through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation: that God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting men and women's sins against them. And He has comitted us the message of reconciliation. We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore you on Christ's behalf: Be reconciled to God. God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in Him we might become the righteousness of God.

Isaih 55:11 "' My word... will not return to Me empty'"
Old 03-08-2004, 06:58 AM
ATFNegotiator

Thanks wheels ground .... [sm=drowning.gif]
Old 03-12-2004, 06:41 PM
ATFNegotiator

Ok, tried a new transmission, still no luck, the spur gear is fine now. Still making that high pitch spinning noise... Anything else? :|