Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Alternative screws for Bulkheads/Braces

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 03:59 AM
drdenny
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Alternative screws for Bulkheads/Braces

Nice idea, as well as the one by Jefx. I'm gonna wait before I add Al to this truck, so drilling might be the solution.
Old 05-30-2004, 06:26 PM
StampedeRacer09

ORIGINAL: allen0622

yeah, those friggin bumper screws annoy the hell out of me. Everytime I take the bumper off at least 1 or 2 of them are bent, I even broke 1 off in the bulkhead brace, ugh that was a pain to get out. Anyway I bought 20 of em off this site cost like $5 they have stainless steel and zinc plated steel, I have no idea which would be stronger

FWIW, the zinc plated steel is MUCH stronger than Stainless. I have a screw kit for my stampede that is zinc plated steel, and it is very good. Zinc plated steel looks much better too. The steel under the zinc is also hardened BTW.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:23 AM
schmism

I love the idea of drilling out the bulkhead brace and bolting both sides together. Seems im bending/shearing off bumper screws every week.
Old 06-01-2004, 10:44 AM
allen0622

Wow this is an old post. Actually since I asked that question they've told me the black oxide is the strongest. I was going through those screw pretty much every week too, but they're cheap enough so I just bought a couple packs from www.hobbycamp.us and change them everytime. Those screw are absorbing alot of force and I'd rather change those than bulkheads all the time.
Old 06-01-2004, 12:49 PM
fhm101

I've been cross drilling my front and rear braces for a couple of years now and have had zero issues with bent screws or broken bulks. You can use an M3 by 50mm with a nut but you can't mount the bumpers with this. The only way I've found to cross drill and use the bumpers (I've done this for several friends) is to get a length of M3 threaded rod and cut it to length and nut it on both ends. I don't run bumpers on my race trucks so I just use 50mm grade 12.9 capheads with nylocks on the other end and it works great. Here's a pic of the rear bulkhead brace on the race truck I'm currently building. The second pic gives you an idea of how clean the modded rear looks compared to the stock front. The front will receive the same treatment as the rear as soon as my Ti skids arrive.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30123.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	138464   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68422.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	138465