Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Alternative screws for Bulkheads/Braces

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2004, 08:24 PM
drdenny
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternative screws for Bulkheads/Braces

Well, I was out beating the heck out of my SportMaxx today, and ended up breaking both bulkheads after jumping up a steep ramp. The jump went fine until I bounced my Sport off the garage in mid air. Anyways, when I took it apart, all of the screws in the cross-braces which hold the bumper mounts on were bent like pretzels. Does anyone know if they manufacture alternative after-market screws for the cross-braces. I know they make all sorts of braces and bulkhheads but was wondering about the screws.
Old 03-13-2004, 09:08 PM
mrjason82

Default RE: Alternative screws for Bulkheads/Braces

my LHS gave me some screws that were fine threaded and they were the biggest pain putting them in. the stock ones are more of a course thread but I just used an electric screwdriver to put them in...almost stripped out the heads of them
Old 03-13-2004, 10:34 PM
jefx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you buy new Traxxas bumper mounts they come with really fine threaded screws that are a total pain, instead of the stock coarse threaded ones. I don't know why that is. It takes an electric screwdriver just to get them all the way in.

So I pretty much just said the same thing as mrjason82.
Old 03-14-2004, 06:01 AM
drdenny

Yeah, I noticed that because I had bought braces and they came with the black cap screws. I tried to put them in, but thought they were too long, and ended up using the original ones. I'm kinda in agreement with others that if I use Al B-heads, that something else will break because this is no longer the weak point. Maybe I can wedge 1/2-13 bolts in there for added strenght(Ha Ha).
Old 03-14-2004, 10:15 AM
allen0622

yeah, those friggin bumper screws annoy the hell out of me. Everytime I take the bumper off at least 1 or 2 of them are bent, I even broke 1 off in the bulkhead brace, ugh that was a pain to get out. Anyway I bought 20 of em off this site cost like $5 they have stainless steel and zinc plated steel, I have no idea which would be stronger but. I got the stainless ones and I know they are definitely stronger than the stock screws, I have bent two of the stainless ones so far though, compared to all 8 of my stock ones bent is pretty good though and I bash alot harder now. My scew kit is one of the best things I've ever bought. kit off ebay for $12 and the plastic case for $3 at the fabric store...umm I was there with my girlfriend she needed thread.

hehe, forgot to put the site addy http://rc-u.com/Merchant2/merchant.m...de=3x25SSPRHST
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21732.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	111271  
Old 03-14-2004, 10:32 AM
drdenny

Thanks for the info. Do you know the sellers ID from Ebay?
Thanks.
Old 03-14-2004, 10:46 AM
drdenny

By the way, is this where you guys always break the Bulks?

Name:	Rp42600.gif
Views:	11
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	111279  
Old 03-14-2004, 10:52 AM
allen0622

LOL, that's a bad one dude. but yes that's where I break, never both before though ususally it's only 1 side for me, that had to be a hard hit, or it had to be cold outside. the plastic gets very brittle in the cold. this is the seller I got my kit from tsim712 their eBay store is named HobbyCampus and the website is www.hobbycamp.us

I plan on getting these bulkhead hybrids, it says you don't even need bulkhead braces they're so strong.
http://www.2coolrc.com/bulks.html
Old 03-14-2004, 11:38 AM
jefx

I've broke mine there before, as well as ather places.
Old 03-14-2004, 12:58 PM
ATFNegotiator

This is what i bought.
[link=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3167832915]asdf[/link]
if the link doesnt work, item: 3167832915
Old 03-14-2004, 01:10 PM
rcmtdriver2000

I drill mine out and put 1 nut and bolt all the way through each hole. Even the bulkhaeds where they attach to the chassis are nut and bolt. No problems since then. Now if a bolt bends I take the nut off it and clip through the bolt with a pair of linecutters and add a new bolt. I'am using metal bulks now and had to do something about broken screws in the threads.The truck is user friendly for repairs now.
Old 03-14-2004, 04:18 PM
drdenny

Thanks for the info. It was both a bad hit, and yeah, it was cold outside(around 30). Should have known better, but I hate to see it sitting in my garage!
Old 03-15-2004, 12:42 AM
rdmonster

You leave your maxx in the garage.[]Mine has its own special place inside where I can talk to it and tell it that its a good truck LoL!!!
Old 03-15-2004, 03:57 AM
drdenny

My Sport is in the garage because it's covered with stuff that the wife wouldn't allow even near the front door. My T is down stairs in my finished basement. Nice thing is that I'm building a "Hobby Room" downstairs for my Maxxes. Just started laying it out. Hopefully I will have it done in about a month or so.
Gonna have multiple bench tops, and lots of receptacles!!!!!!
Old 03-15-2004, 04:55 AM
Diesel Racing

Hey Jefx, and co.
LOL I was reading about broke bulk heads and bent screws! I had my fill today at my bro's house! I tore the whole front end right clean off! (lol) I forgot to take a pic of it, but it was hideous! My tx .18 is running very very good! That sucker flies! I had the time of my life today! I got a saw horse and laid a piece of plywood down for a ramp! Oh My! (lol) That was totally awesome! I was catching 7-8 ft airs and my furthest landing was about 33'8'' ! It was insane! All my buddies and I were laughing our heads off! It is amazing how you can control it in the air! Just like a motorcycle! I did a backflip no problem! It was awesome! Then....dum dum dum (lol) I wanted to do a front flip....(lol) didnt quite work! I hit the brakes and the front just drilled the ground! It was history! I tore up my ft bumper, both skid plates, ft. bulkhead, ft shock tower, both body mounts! CHA CHING! I bought some integy piggies today, but haven't put em on yet! Well, time to go shopping online! I'm gonna buy the integy suspension kit, cause I'm gonna need the other parts eventually! Time to go buy a DVD camera and make some videos! Yatake care, later all! Diesel Racing is closed for repairs!
Old 03-15-2004, 11:15 AM
vtraudt

I can recommend this set. Lots of screws (get rid of the philips) in stainless for the money:
25 EA 3mm x 14mm Socket Head Cap Screws
25 EA 3mm x 12mm Socket Head Cap Screws
25 EA 3mm x 16mm Flat Socket Head Cap Screws
25 EA 3mm x 12mm Flat Socket Head Cap Screws
25 EA 3mm x 10mm Flat Socket Head Cap Screws
25 EA 3mm x 8mm Flat Socket Head Cap Screws
25 EA 3mm x 6mm Flat Socket Head Cap Screws
25 EA 3mm Washers
25 EA 3mm x .5 Nylon Insert Lock Nuts
25 EA 5mm x .8 Nylon Insert Lock Nuts
2 EA 2mm Hex Keys
2 EA 2.5mm Hex Keys

Was $20 on ebay from

http://stores.ebay.com/UNIVERSAL-FAS...SERVICE-SUPPLY

Name:	Zx71904.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	111638  
Old 03-15-2004, 01:53 PM
allen0622

there's no 25mm bulkhead screw in that set.
Old 03-15-2004, 05:45 PM
drdenny

Well, after another run with the new Bulks installed, I decided to hit the ramp again, and ended up breaking one of the lower control arms, and bent the hinge pin. Now I'm out of service.(Had the bulks on hand). Looks like I will have to go with RPM arms for this truck as well. What about the hinge pins? Should I upgrade them also? I really have to wait for warmer weather, but my as well fix up the Sport while the front end is disassembled.
Old 03-15-2004, 08:11 PM
drdenny

Now I really did it! Upon a further inspection, look what I discovered! So, now it's a basket case with multiple broken items.

Name:	Qo41326.gif
Views:	10
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	111810   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93334.gif
Views:	14
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	111811  
Old 03-15-2004, 10:48 PM
allen0622

Nice! more power! You could probably still use the 2018 servo or get another for like $6 on the Bay. With the one tab those fullforce servo clamps http://www.fullforcerc.com/images/ServoClamp1.jpg might be a little ghetto but it will function for your throttle. Just stick something underneath the other side. Exactly what did you do to cause so much damage? I broke all 4 tabs off the motor mount while breaking in my motor, wasn't even hard a hard hit, drove into a flat sided curb. Didn't break anything else just the motor mount.

Gotta take it easy in the cold.
Old 03-16-2004, 03:53 AM
drdenny

I was jumping off a steep ramp, and nailed the garage(right next to the ramp) a few times. Of course my steering was messed up with the broken a-arm, but kept driving it until I realized that the truck did not go where I wanted it to go. Ended up hitting a lawn roller (filled with water) at full speed! I wish I could figure out how to get the VHS-C tape on my computer to show you guys.
Oh well.
Funny, I never hit a thing with my T!
Old 03-16-2004, 04:37 AM
Diesel Racing

yeah those lawn objects really jump out in front of you! I was doing that too so i decided to go to a empty field, grass wont hurt (lol) later
Old 03-16-2004, 03:39 PM
GVFD29

I bought a kit from www.ufss.com .... or something like that from ebay....ships great....check it out.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:55 PM
skippydippy

I just ended up drilling the plastic out along with the bulkheads and putting 2 long pieces of heavy duty rod through it and nuts on the ends worked great till i went to aluminum bulkheads.
Old 03-17-2004, 11:57 PM
jefx

I have long titanium skids that stretch out past the bumper, so I recently removed the bumpers and mounts because I don't need them anymore. Now my bulkheads won't break there anymore.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.