Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

HEAT!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 06:24 PM
foreverNight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HEAT!!

OK I'm starting to get really upset. My t-maxx is overheating bad! Needles are at factory settings. I'm using 20% fuel and i have no airleaks. I dont know what else to do. Do i need a bigger cooling head? My temps are at about 310 f after like 2 high speed runs!
Old 09-10-2004, 06:39 PM
redheat8

Default RE: HEAT!!

werent we just talking with someone yesterday about overheating , well anyway 310 hell just run it , are you getting close to a rebuild yet? If your sure that you have everything tight and sealed ,carb h/s set at about 3.5 , l/s flush, 20% nitro , OS LC3 or MC 59 plug, shim in good condition, no binding, then just go for it, Im not saying beat your truck up but just have fun with it , I'm sure it's running like a crazed banshee, RED
Old 09-10-2004, 06:53 PM
foreverNight

I thought of just running it but, the head is really smoking! I took the cooling head off to clean it. Is it normal for lquid to come out where the head attaches to the engine? Its not ozzing out or nothing but there is liquid or fuel. I dont know how to rebiuld!
Old 09-10-2004, 07:09 PM
HelicopterPilot

ORIGINAL: foreverNight

I thought of just running it but, the head is really smoking! I took the cooling head off to clean it. Is it normal for lquid to come out where the head attaches to the engine? Its not ozzing out or nothing but there is liquid or fuel. I dont know how to rebiuld!
on the traxxas website there is a rebuild guide with pics if you having probs finding it pm me
Old 09-10-2004, 07:11 PM
AddictedtoRC

I had the exact same problem, I bought an oversized cooling head from acncm and it dropped my temps from 320 to 220F, mind you it still smoked from the head but it ran cooler. Eventually i rebuilt the engine and the problem went away, I thing there are alot of defective 2.5's out there. Best thing I ever did was put a different engine in my maxx.

2 maxx's
nitro evader
ntc3
xxt rc10T
losi gtx
Old 09-10-2004, 07:13 PM
HelicopterPilot

[link=http://www.traxxas.com/support/howto/trx_trouble_25enginerebuild.htm]Rebuild Guide[/link]
Old 09-10-2004, 09:24 PM
psycooclimber

ya you where talking to me about the heat. i am wating on the acncm head and i will post the results. it comes in an tuesday and i will post results on wedsday. my temps are 340-350.
Old 09-11-2004, 12:56 AM
foreverNight

it all started when i installed a ths racing pipe. Overheating off the bat! I reinstalled the stock and it still overheated! Hmm. iwas wondering if i forgot to put in the gasket on the manifold? I'll have to check later cuz I'm at work right now!
Old 09-11-2004, 04:07 PM
psycooclimber

keep us updated please.
Old 09-11-2004, 06:32 PM
foreverNight

OK i got home from work around 4:30 am and took off the stock header. I noticed right away that the header came off VERY easily. It wasnt a snug fit on there! Could that have caused an airleak=overheating? I reinstalled the ths racing pipe and header that came with it. This one fit snugly, and i tightened
the bolts tight. I went to bed and when i woke up i went outside with my t-maxx and ran it. It overhaeted again but i messed with the hsn for awhile for about half a tank. Finally i got it set rich and no more overheating! Temps didnt get past 275. And stayed around 240-260 on average. I think maybe the first time i nstalled the new pipe i didnt tighten the bolts tight enough. As for my stock header, the first time i tried to take it off I really had tug and pull on it and i may have pried it a little making the hole wider.? Anyway, I did 3 high speed runs back to back and the temp didnt get past 275. I think I'm ok now. But, I'm still getting a new cooling head! any suggestions on a cooling head? I've been looking at this one-----> http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXEMN8&P=ML
Old 09-11-2004, 07:01 PM
psycooclimber

on wedsday i will post the results of my acncm head.