Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

New to the hobby

Old 03-26-2005, 01:53 PM
skywaterbanjo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the hobby

I like tinkering and fixing. I have a bunch of hobbies but RC is something I've wanted to do for a long time (don't have the patience to learn airplanes or helicopters). I live in the woods and am thinking a 4wd truck is the way to go. I haven't investigated the local hobby club in the very small community where I live (in the mountains).

My question: Do you think the Revo is too much of a truck to start with? What else do I need to buy in addition to the truck? I'm looking for something 'easy' to learn but has a lot of growth potential. The $450 - $500 is pretty much my price range.

How much risk to I run buying a used setup?

I'm pretty convinced I want to go with a nitro instead of electric.

Thanks
Old 03-26-2005, 01:57 PM
HPIDUDE

Default RE: New to the hobby

if you like tinkering and fixing then traxxas is the truck for you! you will also need to buy some fuel{duh} a glow plug igniter, a fuel bottle, batteries for the transmitter, and spare parts for when it breaks, also the revo comes with a rechargeable reciver pack, w/a charger
Old 03-26-2005, 02:50 PM
RSprinkel
My Feedback: (3)

I would also buy a nice Failsafe and a Throttle Return Spring for safety. Both items will stop the truck from going astray when the receiver battery packs die in mid run. GET THEM, has saved my truck a few times.

Old 03-26-2005, 03:51 PM
RenegadeRevo
My Feedback: (1)

As far as buying used... it's obviously not as safe as buying new, but... do your homework. One thing to remember is... if the engine wasn't broken in correctly, you just have to go get a new piston/sleeve... or a new engine. For a Revo, the things that will be extra besides the truck in RTR form... batteries for the radio, a 7.2v battery for the ez-start, a charger for the 7.2 battery... Nitro fuel... and extra glowplugs. If you are looking for used, I have one for sale, it's been used, but it was broken in correctly, and well-maintained. BUT it comes with everything except for fuel, and a Ni-Cad battery charger.... check it out... in my signature.
Old 03-26-2005, 09:08 PM
smitty4
My Feedback: (4)

are you wanting nitro? electrics arent bad check out the emaxx you have to charge batts. but if you have 3 sets of batts you can run for about an hour easily
Old 03-26-2005, 10:10 PM
itspuddingtime00

I started out with a revo and the learning curve was pretty rough for me. Make sure you do a lot of research on nitro RC. After I broke it in I leaned it wayyy too much and ended up fading the anodizing on the cooling head because it got so hot. All you need for a revo is fuel and a fuel bottle, extra glow plugs, 7.2v battery and charger, and I'd also get aluminum shock rod ends and spare A-arms because those are frequently broken.
Old 03-27-2005, 09:53 AM
skywaterbanjo

I took the leap and ordered the Revo. I'll let you know how it goes for others considering the Revo.

Thanks for the input from everyone.
Old 03-27-2005, 09:55 AM
HPIDUDE

good luck[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 03-27-2005, 12:20 PM
Afterburn1
My Feedback: (1)

lmao, I jumped into it head first by gettin a revo too. I had a Duratraxx axis that I got given to me, had to get a new engine. Ran that for a couple of weeks and then lost it in a bet. lmao, got a revo. Best bet I ever lost........................................