Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Break-In???

Old 11-22-2005, 08:59 AM
HornsBsbll5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Break-In???

Just got my Revo!!!!!!!! Any tips for break-in? What and What not to do besides read the owners manual and watch the DVD? I was told not to put WD-40 in the engine cuz it gums it up??? Any tips would be extremely appreciated! Thx!
Old 11-22-2005, 10:43 AM
plaidfish

Default RE: Break-In???

w/ a traxx-ass mill....DO EXACTLY WHAT THE DVD SAYS TO.....and use ARO after every time (just to be sure) and every time your engine stops turn th eflywheel till the piston is free.....after that I'm sure the search feature can give you more info than your lil head can absorb right now after coming off the euphoric high of revo owning.....
Old 11-22-2005, 06:20 PM
cmh284

I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, but did you even open the manual? I have never seen clearer break-in instructions on any other model in the past 20 years. They even have them listed on a tag on the fuel tank! Not to mention a DVD that spells it out for a 3 year old.

Just follow those instructions EXACTLY. It takes time, it is boring, but that is how you do it?

Did you buy this Revo new?
Old 11-22-2005, 06:42 PM
rockNroll=ASP=

ORIGINAL: HornsBsbll5

I was told not to put WD-40 in the engine cuz it gums it up???

I think the guy in the Traxxas video uses WD40.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:50 PM
DaveG55

Traxxas actually reccomends using WD40 for the after run procedure.
Personally, I don't use WD40 for that. It has lots of good uses but I prefer to just use ARO.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:04 PM
alvinl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to agree with DaveG55 on this one. Even though Traxxas says to use WD40 for ARO, I would not use it. I have sprayed my motor and carb out with it and use it to clean some parts, but I do not feel it protects or lubricates enough to be used as ARO. It will disperse moisture, but it also evaporates much to quickly. If you are running your truck daily, WD40 may not cause any problems. But when you go to store it for a couple weeks or more, use the real stuff.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:18 PM
HornsBsbll5

Yes I have opened the manual. I read it twice and watched the DVD 3 times just to be safe. By the way it is Brand Spankin New and I just wanted some advice from personal experiences maybe the way I worded it made it sound like I didnt read it or watch the DVD but I dont wanna step on anybodys toes or sound like a u no what.
ORIGINAL: cmh284

I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, but did you even open the manual? I have never seen clearer break-in instructions on any other model in the past 20 years. They even have them listed on a tag on the fuel tank! Not to mention a DVD that spells it out for a 3 year old.

Just follow those instructions EXACTLY. It takes time, it is boring, but that is how you do it?

Did you buy this Revo new?
Old 11-23-2005, 06:11 AM
nusti

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

before you run it check if the carb fully opens when you pull the trottle on the tx. Then look how far you have to pull the throttle to let the carb open for 1/4 and 1/2. You will have to remove the airfilter to look in the carb.
Get a temp gun to check the engine's temp so it doesnt get to hot.
Everytime the engine stops make sure if the piston is at BDC, especially when it has to cool down,you can make a little scratch on the flywheel where that point is.
Shut the engine down before the tank is empty so it will never run too lean. Personally I would never shut the engine down by pinching the fuel line, I did that in the beginning and after 1 gallon my engine was fried. I made a couple more mistakes that caused it, but pinching was sure a part of it ...just put a finger on the exhaust (be carefull, it can be hot) or holding the back of a plastic handle from a screwdriver, or something similar, against the flywheel (the best way)

For tuning the low speed needle just let the engine idle after a high speed run. If the revs go up after a few seconds richen the LSN a bit (steps of 1/8 or 1/16th turn), if the revs go down lean it, also in very small steps. You will not have to do this until the break-inn is completed.
Everytime you adjust the LSN you will have to make a couple if high speeds runs, then check again until it's right.
After the 6th tank still be carefull not to run it at high speeds more than 5-10 secs and make sure you run it on the rich side.
Check the temp regulary and tune the engine when the tank is half-full.
Everytime you start running the Revo take a few minutes to let the engine warm up with little burst of throttle, then start to tune it.

Mistakes I made: too long full throttle and high revs, I didn't take time to let the engine get to operating temp, I drove with a loose slippercluth and overrevved the engine and more.....take your time and don't make the same mistakes as I did and you will have a long time of fun with the original engine.

English is not my native speech but I hope that it is clear and drive safe
Old 11-23-2005, 06:43 PM
cmh284

Like I said, I wasn't trying to be a jerk. I actually just broke my Revo in this week so I can't say if I made any mistakes or not.

Just do exactly what they say (except possibly the WD-40 part, I am not a fan of WD-40 in or on my vehicles).

Just take your time and take it easy. The worst thing you could do it push it too much. Better to be conservative than aggresive.

That first tank takes about 30 minutes to run when you are only using 1/4 throttle so make sure you have plenty of time.

Also, the last 3 tanks are supposed to be done back to back without cooling time in between. This takes well over an hour to complete so again, make sure you have plenty of time and sunlight available.

I have been involved in breaking in 2 Revos in the past month. Both of them would occasionally die during the full throttle portion of the break in. After applying full throttle, the engine would begin to slow and then die. As far as I can tell, this is normal due to the rich mixture settings. Don't let it concern you. The problem went away on its own after break in and tuning was completed.
Old 11-24-2005, 03:03 PM
HornsBsbll5

I didnt mean to make you feel guilty or nothin but anyways, I just finished break in on my Revo too. I am EXTREMELY happy with it and I didnt have to hardly move the factory setting! I was surprised that I didnt, I thought I would have to be tuning for a good 25-30 min tryin to get it right but it runs GREAT! Thx for all the tips!