Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

motors

Old 06-19-2006, 11:35 AM
BXMaxx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default motors

hi. i was just wondering if anyone can tell me how u know if your motor is going bad. i have a nitro 4tec and a 2.5 tmaxx i sometimes have problems starting it when the motors gets hot. the motors are about 5 years old and probably had about 4 or 5 gallons through each . thanks
Old 06-19-2006, 11:50 AM
Quickywd01
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: motors

Well one of the ways you can tell is if you can easily turn the flywheel through the compression stroke when the engine is cold.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:36 PM
Eat_My_Dust

If you can still turn your engine over even when it is flooded with out your starter cutting out, you might want to think about rebuilding it. by how many gallons you have ran through there, it sounds like you might need to put a new piston/sleeve in there.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:20 PM
beelzebubishere
My Feedback: (1)

Intentionally flooding your engine, and trying the electric starter, can be a road to disaster.
As Quicky said, if you can easily turn the engine over by the flywheel, with your finger tip, COLD, it's worn out. If your engine shuts off unexpectedly, and you can perform this same test with the engine HOT, the piston and cylinder is most likely a good candidate for a sleeve "resize," at about 1/3rd the cost of a new sleeve and piston......
Old 06-19-2006, 04:04 PM
BXMaxx

about how much does the piston and sleeve cost because if its about the same as getting a new motor i guess i will have to save up after i buy my new phone.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:07 PM
BXMaxx

i just checked the fly wheel i could turn it pretty easy but when it gets to the top it gets harder but i can still turn it with th tip of my index finger.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:08 PM
Quickywd01
My Feedback: (3)

Do you know what resizing is? Or pinching. The sleeve is soft metal so you can squeeze it back to a tight fit around the piston so it will be like new and will require you to break it in again. It will be like a new engine. Kliff can do it for 15 bux shipped.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:24 PM
BXMaxx

i know what it is its just i dont really like the 2.5 so i wouldnt buy a piston and sleeve anyway but i might decide to do that and just buy a new motor for my tmaxx and leave the 2.5 in the 4tec bc its fast enough.