Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

picco 26 max

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 10:49 PM
the savage killer
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default picco 26 max

ok got my new picco 26 max today for my revo. I can't get it to stay running to break it in and it is very eratic. i have broke in several engines and never had a problem any ideas???? also does anyone know where the needles shoyuld be to start by turns im not real keen on trying to find 1mm past flush

thanks for the help
Old 07-22-2006, 08:47 AM
nitroracer20

Default RE: picco 26 max

if all the needles are set for breakin and its running erratic...you probably have an airleak. It has been VERRRYYY common in these engines. Picco needs to reall get their act together.
Old 07-22-2006, 11:05 AM
lax195
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: nitroracer20

if all the needles are set for breakin and its running erratic...you probably have an airleak. It has been VERRRYYY common in these engines. Picco needs to reall get their act together.
Yep, first thing to do to a Picco .26 Max is to seal it. The engine is pretty much never going to be tuned at 100% effiency without being sealed.
Old 07-22-2006, 02:51 PM
revo2006

lean the hsn out a bit the picco comes set too rich even for break in, air leaks are everyones answer to any problem, i have had 2 picco 2 os's and a few 2.5r's and never had an air leak in the motor.
Old 07-22-2006, 07:36 PM
the savage killer

it is an air leak it is leaking from the front bearing on the crank is there any way to reseal that? this is the second one with the same problem. picco has a recall on them though

http://ofna.com/recall.html
Old 07-23-2006, 12:20 AM
lax195
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: the savage killer

it is an air leak it is leaking from the front bearing on the crank is there any way to reseal that? this is the second one with the same problem. picco has a recall on them though

http://ofna.com/recall.html
New bearing.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:14 PM
xfsketch

I calle Ofna and faxed them my reciept for the motor and they sent me a new block with bearings pre-installed for free next day air. They rock!
Old 08-02-2006, 11:38 AM
xfsketch

I put the picco block they sent me together and I still have an air leak! I did the test to see if the front bearing was still leaking it it was. Just how much air should comeo ut of that bearing? if no air should get out then Ofna sent me another faulty bearing. I am going to seal the motor with copper RTV tonight and see if that fixes my problem. Ill check my gas tank too while Im at it.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:39 PM
bennyblanco

its going to leak but not that much!!! how did you test for airleak?
Old 08-02-2006, 05:57 PM
the savage killer

i got a new case today and it is fixed!!!! To test for an air leak i put a short piece of fuel tube on the carb and covered the exhaust and carb port with my fingers. i put a lil soapy water where i thought it might leak and then blew through the fuel tube if it bubbles or blows the water off there is your leak. if it is sucking air you can also spray wd-40 on it when it is running and when ever you get to the leak it will suck it in and kill the engine
Old 08-02-2006, 06:47 PM
bennyblanco

ok thats sound good, so you fix the leak!!!! nice!!
Old 08-03-2006, 07:09 AM
xfsketch

Ive been trying to fix an irratical idle on my picco 26 max (Xfsketch)

I used the new block and bearing OFNA sent me and did the air leak test with the same outcome as the original one. I could feel the air come out of the bearing area while blowing through the gas line plugging other ports.

I took another look at mine last night. The gas tank & lines are fine. I sealed the backplate, head, carb, pinch bolt & header. I used copper RTV and I spread it in very thin covering layers so it wouldnt squirt out the ends when I tightened the bolts back down. I hear you are supposed to let it sit for 24 hrs before starting the motor just to be safe. I waited for a few hours and thought a quick start shouldnt harm it.

I started it and it seemed better but was still idling different than it should. I just got this motor a gallon ago and it always had an off sounding idle. I am running wildcat 30% It idles low to high back down to low which is why I figure Air leak. I will start it when I get home tonight and see how it sounds. Anyone know why my idle would fluxuate like this with an engine, lines and gas tank sealed?
Is 30% fuel the kulprit maybe?

sorry to jump in on someones post I should have started a new thread I appologize.

Old 08-04-2006, 01:53 AM
KWR

xfsketch,

I am right there with you. I purchased a Picco .26 Max and from the get go its idle and ability to run was all over the charts. A friend of mine who is very experienced with tuning and upgrades to his Revo worked on mine and got it to run a little better. An example was irratic idle.. many times after giving it throttle and then putting on the brake, the motor would continue revving sporaticly. This was definitely indication of an air leak.

After performing the leak test it was apparent that the front bearing was to blame. I called Ofna and they sent me a new case with front bearing and a new carb as the original one had a dent in the neck from the locking bolts being installed wrong...I had the parts the next day. Ofna has great customer service but the new case did not help any...it is still running poorly. I only have 2-3 tanks through the motor. I will be returning the engine to my LHS and getting an OS .21 VZB which will for sure out perform this Picco .26 even on its best day. It's quite a bit more money for this set up, but I have seen the Revo with the OS .21 VZB also running a FOC kit and single servo steering...I have yet to see any other modified Revo or monster truck run as fast as this combination.

Hopefully Ofna will get this problem figured out.

Kevin
Old 08-04-2006, 11:50 AM
xfsketch

Kevin,

Man Im sorry to hear that you couldnt get your motor to run right either. I dont know anyone who is good at tuning and my LHS wont accept returns for nothing especially after I sealed the motor with RTV. This motor has nice power and speed but I have yet to get it to perform consistently at low temps. I got through break in with no problems and then my one way bearing went out. ever since I replaced the bearing I have been witnessing high temps after a half tank of fuel it leaned out badly. Even after I changed the block to the one OFNA sent me, Im still having bad idle. I read aot of posts on people having problems with this motor. I want to remain optimistic but its getting harder and harder to do. If I cant get it to idle and run right soon I will have to use locktite on the front bearing. I dont know what else to do.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:56 AM
xfsketch

was it worth it really? When I decided to get a .26 motor (medium block) my LHS guru told me I would no doubt spend an extra $400 upgrading the tranny diffs and drivetrain. I was ok with that as long as it was going to rip! But now I wonder if I opened the wrong can of worms. I got rid of my TRX 2.5 cause it was a PITA to tune right. Granted I am still learning theres a fine science to tuning. I still think I got the general idea. I figured bigger motor= less it has to work to move the truck meaning lower temps. Like I said in the last reply, I will try to remain optimistic because Ive read of people who love this engine. Maybe Im just overlooking something. Or maybe this engine was a horrible waste of money. We'll find out soon enough. I will keep you all posted.

TJ
Old 08-04-2006, 04:53 PM
the savage killer

send the block back again i went through 2 before the 3rd one was right and no problems since. Something else to check is on your high speed needle take it off the carb and make sure the whole on the fuel inlet is lined up with the hole on the needle. when i moved it to make it work for my revo it wasn't lined up correctly and wouldn't idle at all. i lined it up and all was good!
Old 08-04-2006, 08:37 PM
KWR

After two cases I threw in the towel. My LHS/Marty's Hobbies gladly took back the motor and even the Ofna Revo/Picco engine mount along with other purchased items and then sold me an OS .21 VZB for a smoking price. I also ordered the RD Racing starter box and then purchased the BB conversion kit from Qoncepts directly and picked up HPI Savage 3 shoe clutch and clutch bells.

This Revo is going to haul some serious tail. For anyone going back and forth on which is the best motor...I'll just say that there is nothing else to my knowledge that has the broad power band, especially into to 40,000+ RPM range that the OS .21 VZB has. I can't wait to hit honest speeds of 50-55mph.

I wish you the best with your Picco issues; I know they are a good company that make good motors but have just run a ground with the Picco .26 Max. Call Ofna and talk to Jeffery at ext. 233. He was so helpful and got the parts I needed out immediately. I would explain your situation and your frustration and see if you could send them the whole motor and have them dial it in. Marty's was willing to send my motor out today, have Ofna fix and confirm proper running ability and get it back with in a few days...that is customer service. Call Ofna and see what Jeffery can do.

Kevin
Old 08-07-2006, 07:42 AM
xfsketch

Thanx guys for your answers and info! I will just have to send the motor in, its probably the best idea as you guys suggested. I have been over all satisfied with OFNAs cust. service as they did send me a new block out pronto. Im sure they will get the issue fixed. I will also check my HSN and see if it is properly lined up. THank you all.
Old 08-14-2006, 01:01 PM
xfsketch

Ok Guys I didnt send my motor in yet because I was waiting on OFNA to send me another block & bearings. I got their package today. They sent me two new blocks and bearings this time! I am keeping my fingers crossed hoping one of these will solve my problem. I took my maxx out saturday and tried again to get it to run rich and cool with no luck. It has amazing power but I just cant get it to hold the tune and run in the 240-270 range. I know its the front bearng because I have already sealed everything with RTV, Checked HSN to see if it is out of line and made sure all fuel components werent the cause of the air escaping. I will keep you all updated. Tonight I am going to go for it and hopefully report back with a smile. CYA
Old 08-15-2006, 08:59 AM
xfsketch

First off I appologize for hijacking this post. but I figure no harm was done so I will continue in case others have been following.

Ok I put the first block of the two they sent me together last night. seemed better. I did the air leak test with a good result. I dint seal the motor with RTV when I reassembled it but I figured I would see if the air leak was better first. When I started the motor up the idle was no longer irratical, it had no bubbles when I sprayed soapy water on the front bearing. I took it outside and ran it around the yard. Here is what I set my needles to. HSN flush, LSN 6 turns out from closed. I saw this in a thread, someone said their picco ran best set this way. I have a venom on board temp gauge and even when I set the HSN extremely rich I could watch my temps rise to 270+ I turned the motor off before reaching 300F but for the life of me cant figure out why it would be doing this? I see little air bubbles in the fuel line indicating that I might still have an air leak. It will start and idle fine for a small while and then die. I did the pinch test and the piston and sleeve are still fine. While driving it the front wheels were off the ground alot and speed was good. Do I have my LSN set too lean? Is 30% nitro my problem? Does anyone have any suggestions to offer?
Old 08-15-2006, 01:34 PM
ridinthedunes

I think it's your thread now ......guess dude should just start another and hope nobody steals that one.....

post 8 times apologizeing for stealing the thread
Old 08-16-2006, 08:14 AM
xfsketch

I seen he resolved the problem so I figured it would be ok. Ill start another thread. APPOLOGIZING<<<correct SP
Old 12-23-2007, 10:19 PM
jwsav

you need to be running 20% in that motor! backplate is where most of the leaking is happening in these motors around the shaft, not the oring!
Old 01-01-2008, 01:43 AM
jwsav

who did you talk to at ofna? i tried to get them to send me bearings or block with bearings and they said i had to send the motor back to them, ????
Old 01-01-2008, 02:17 AM
revo-nation

PICCO .26 NOTES

1. Never sealed from factory
2. Hard to break in
3. Not the easiest to tune
4. Will not hold a tune for sht
5. Breaks con rods and bearings all day

I would go with the rb 523 or the os .21 or a sirio .23 motor so head back to the lhs and start talkin.

P.S. you get what you paid for like $150

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.