Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

How Do I Lower My T-Maxx??

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 11:48 AM
charlieboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Do I Lower My T-Maxx??

Can anyone tell me how to lower my T-maxx, i want it to stand as low as my revo or almost as low. I have already moved the lower shock pins to the outermost
mounting holes but i think its still too tall and sometimes roll over when i take corners at high speeds.
If there's anyone who has managed to lower their Maxx considerably please feel free to share the info!!
Old 03-06-2007, 01:45 PM
-EXTRA-

Default RE: How Do I Lower My T-Maxx??

depends which version you have,i have the 3.3 and theres mounting positions on the top of the shock if so move it into the center hole,i would recommend offset rims and street tires if you dont wanna flip thats what im doing.Some people tie zip ties around there A arm and body mount so it will sit lower you can try that.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:52 PM
tommythecat
My Feedback: (2)

Put the shocks in the inner most mounting hole on the shock towers and the outermost hole on the a-arms. Make sure you don't have any preload spacers installed. Other than that, zip-tying the a-arms is the only other way to get it lower. You can install limiters in the shocks, but all they will limit is the travel, they will not directly affect static height, unless you put in enough to basically eliminate all downtravel and then keep going.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:29 PM
gettnbetter

You'll also need to install an aftermarket anti-roll bar because the Maxx has no anti-roll built into the suspension at all. You can fell it by rocking the Maxx chassis side to side. Do the same with your Revo and you'll see what I mean.

You can put some 50w oil in the stock Maxx shocks and it will improve the handling quite a bit too.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:15 PM
charlieboy

ORIGINAL: -EXTRA-

depends which version you have,i have the 3.3 and theres mounting positions on the top of the shock if so move it into the center hole,i would recommend offset rims and street tires if you dont wanna flip thats what im doing.Some people tie zip ties around there A arm and body mount so it will sit lower you can try that.
Oh my maxx is the 2.5, it only has one mounting hole at the top of the shock mount. I use all terrain tires becuase i race dirt, but i'll try the offset rims suggestion and see how those improve handling. But won't the offset wheels create a problem with the steering, i heard wide tires kill steering servos and offset rims is pretty much the same as putting on wider tires. I Don't like that zip tie idea at all but thanks for the tip anyway...............
Old 03-06-2007, 03:29 PM
tommythecat
My Feedback: (2)

The 2.5 should have three mounting locations on the shock tower, unless you have aftermarket shocktowers. RPM's only have one hole and many aluminum ones also only have one hole, but the trx 2.5 stock ones have 3.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:37 PM
dude7422

you could do smaller stocks say AE RC10GT shocks how low do you want to go
Old 03-06-2007, 03:42 PM
charlieboy

That sounds good, i'll try one of the RC10GT shocks and see if it'll fit! I want it as low as the stock revo or just a bit higher!!
Old 03-06-2007, 04:22 PM
running_gag

Traction roll is caused by too much traction. one of the cures is lowering the truck. if you dont want to use the zip ties there really isn't any other way. you could use less camber, or adjust your toe so that you loose traction.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:24 PM
-EXTRA-

ORIGINAL: charlieboy

ORIGINAL: -EXTRA-

Honestly i havent tried them yet,so i wouldnt know if they cause problems i havent heard of any causing any servo problems.
Oh my maxx is the 2.5, it only has one mounting hole at the top of the shock mount. I use all terrain tires becuase i race dirt, but i'll try the offset rims suggestion and see how those improve handling. But won't the offset wheels create a problem with the steering, i heard wide tires kill steering servos and offset rims is pretty much the same as putting on wider tires. I Don't like that zip tie idea at all but thanks for the tip anyway...............
Old 03-06-2007, 08:27 PM
crazy maxx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would drop to the lowest setting and chop the springs
Old 03-06-2007, 10:13 PM
Shadowhunter985
My Feedback: (5)

if your running on dirt, get as low as you can. then put street tires in the back and you all-terrain in the front. I have tired it and really like it. it gives good traction but not to much to flip it in turns. it also allows you to slid the read in turns too
Old 03-06-2007, 11:22 PM
running_gag

He doesn't want to run street tires in a race. he'll never accelerate out of the turn. It just occurred to me, are you trying to keep up with revos in the turn? thats not gonna happen. the revo just plain handles better. the only way your going to beat a revo is by out driving it.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:32 AM
charlieboy

ORIGINAL: running_gag

He doesn't want to run street tires in a race. he'll never accelerate out of the turn. It just occurred to me, are you trying to keep up with revos in the turn? thats not gonna happen. the revo just plain handles better. the only way your going to beat a revo is by out driving it.
Ha ha ha you're a smart guy, you guessed right. I think i'll try chopping off some of the springs or simple get shorter springs, hows that?
Old 03-07-2007, 01:52 AM
Dil

well just drop in some shock spacers inside the shock, i think thats what they are called, you will have to completely disassemble the socks however,, and they will limit the downtravel of the shock, so u will have a lower ride!!

however make the spacers to the exact length you dont wanna be removing it over again, cut and chop and get em to the perfect lentg, but remember you will have limited downtravel
Old 03-07-2007, 02:44 PM
running_gag

If you lower it with shorter springs you'll need stiffer springs or you'll bottom out on the landings.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:15 PM
magnum12

i cut fuel line and put it inside the shock and lowered it almost 2 inches didnot change springs,oil,or valves in shocks and it drifts on camand with a colari .32 in it and it is a first gen maxx with the short arms i would try this