Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > Traxxas Monster Truck forum
Reload this Page >

whats it mean when ur glow plug coil is getting crushed?

Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

whats it mean when ur glow plug coil is getting crushed?

Old 04-21-2007, 07:54 AM
Nitr0-is-Deadly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats it mean when ur glow plug coil is getting crushed?

? just curious..i dont know what this means lol
Old 04-21-2007, 08:12 AM
ttoks

Default RE: whats it mean when ur glow plug coil is getting crushed?

to much compression
Old 04-21-2007, 08:14 AM
Nitr0-is-Deadly

lol..no really. u r kidding right

how would to much compression be bad
Old 04-21-2007, 09:19 AM
ttoks

it ignites the fuel before the piston gets to TDC and puts alot of stress on evrything, particually the con-rod and glow plug coz over time the wire can snap off and fall into the engine, and thats really bad lol

thats why when running higher nitro fuel you usually have to add a shim to the cooling head coz you'v got more fuel in there, so less room for the air
Old 04-21-2007, 09:27 AM
Nitr0-is-Deadly

any1 else got something?
Old 04-21-2007, 09:40 AM
DaveG55

Actually, the optimum place for the fuel to ignite is slightly BTDC. That's true on every internal combustion engine that I'm aware of, including glow engines. Too much before is not good though. Are you sure "crushed" is the right description because that kinda implys that there is physical contact although a pressure wave can crush stuff too. Do you have a picture of one you could post? Have you looked in the cylinder to see if anything is/has bounced around in there?
Old 04-21-2007, 09:48 AM
Nitr0-is-Deadly

maybe crushed was a bit to radical. its liek i took my finger and pushed the coil upwards slightly..but it still glows..the coil looks suppressed like it got pushed in a bit..it looks like it wouldnt work but it does
Old 04-21-2007, 10:03 AM
ttoks

you accually are right with the slightly befor tdc, with most raceing (this is full sized) engines will fire anywhere between 10 and 20 degrees befor tdc, but the reason is purely to be able to retard to exhaust valve timing to overlap the inlet and exhaust more, with a two stroke engine normally 5 degrease after tdc or exactly at tdc is good to have good scavenging (so the fuel is still expanding when the exhaust port open so you get higher flow out of the engine, this is from my understaning from motorcross bikes however so it may be differant with a nitro engine)
Old 04-21-2007, 10:18 AM
Nitr0-is-Deadly

this doesnt help. i mean the engine has alot of power but the coil is smushed
Old 04-21-2007, 10:27 AM
beelzebubishere
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: ttoks

with a two stroke engine normally 5 degrease after tdc or exactly at tdc is good to have good scavenging (so the fuel is still expanding when the exhaust port open so you get higher flow out of the engine, this is from my understaning from motorcross bikes however so it may be differant with a nitro engine)

Not quite......even with direct fuel injection, ignition timing of a 2 stroke is Before TDC to make best use of flame propogation across the entire surface of the piston and to insure complete ignition of the fel supply...
http://www.fisita.com/students/congr...apers/sc30.pdf

It is even more critical on a carburetted 2 stroke to get complete combustion for maximum performance, hence timing BTDC.....

But to respond to N-i-D's question, it is usually due to an verlly rich mixture, can be at LSN or HSN, and posibly a higher oil content fuel combined with either of those adjustments.
I run 18% oil heli fuel, and see that symptom frequently when breaking in a new engine if my mixtures are too rich....as long as the plug works, I use it.
Old 04-21-2007, 10:29 AM
Uglysteve

You are not using turbo plugs on a standard plug engine are you? If not, how many shims do you have left? Do you have debris floating around in your engine? Using wrong plugs or taking all of the shims off or debris floating around are the only three reasons why you would do physical damage to the glow plug. The second reason being the most unlikely of the three because even without all the shims, a standard plug should not hit the piston.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:02 AM
tommythecat
My Feedback: (2)

Are you sure it is crushed, and not just getting distorted from excessive heat? The only thing that will usually be able to crush them is debris in the chamber.

When you overlean these things they will run great, but the plugs coil will sometimes heat up and distort. Sometimes they uncoil, sometimes then compress.

Old 04-21-2007, 11:10 AM
nitrorcjunkie

You are not using turbo plugs on a standard plug engine are you? If not, how many shims do you have left? Do you have debris floating around in your engine? Using wrong plugs or taking all of the shims off or debris floating around are the only three reasons why you would do physical damage to the glow plug. The second reason being the most unlikely of the three because even without all the shims, a standard plug should not hit the piston.

Turbo plugs and regular plugs are not interchangeable. Sounds like a lean condition is causing the wire to overheat and distort. Try a colder plug.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:50 PM
Nitr0-is-Deadly

man so many different answers..

no my 3.3 is not over heating..i ran it today with the smushed plug coil..ran fine..btw the plug is o.s a5 for those turbo plug ppl..im not runnign to lean. i have a blue trail of smoke coming from exhaust at any throttle position..so its gotta be that im running rich..witch i also dont see how..im shifting in less than 20 feet..almost wheely popping with center diff..

i take my head off daily i have no debris..and mjy idle is very low