Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

can an engine run on wd40?

Old 07-20-2007, 10:26 PM
3.3 revo 3.3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can an engine run on wd40?

i had just put alot of wd40 in my engine without my fuel lines plugged in. there was no nitro in or going into the engine. it still fired up[X(], but just sounded different than nitro. i was so suprised that it started. i just flushed the engine so there was no nitro in the engine. it ran for about 20 seconds. i couldnt believe it started!!!!
Old 07-20-2007, 11:04 PM
rcdudegermy10

Default RE: can an engine run on wd40?

yea, I put so much aro in my engine that when I start it it really bogs down and there is a ton of smoke, but after it gets through that stuff it fires right up
Old 07-20-2007, 11:06 PM
ttoks

it would have been running on fuel that was left in the needles in the carby, a glow engine fires by a chemical reaction between the platinum in the glow plug wire and the methanol in the fuel, because wd40 has no methanol in it, it wont run on it (apart from that wd40 doesn't burn that well)
Old 07-21-2007, 01:10 AM
rawkfist2

It will run on WD-40. Just not very well.
Old 07-21-2007, 02:03 AM
ttoks

it wont run ON wd40, but it will run with a large amount of wd 40 in the engine, if you filled the tank with wd 40 it wont run, it will use whats left of the fuel thats in the carb needles and then shut down.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:26 AM
RCCanuck

wd40 does burn....it will internally combust and move the piston.....I've done it and you can smell the burning WD40. Just hook up your fuel intake line to a can of WD40 use a fully charged ignitor and fire it up..you may have to keep starting it but the WD40 is combusting and moving the piston.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:47 AM
ttoks

it will not run the engine though because it is the heat from the glow igniter that ignites the wd-40, as soon as that is taken away it will not burn anymore because the engine doesn't have enough compression to keep the glow plug hot enough to keep igniting the oil, the way the engine works is when the air and fuel is compressed it heat up, which heats up the platinum in the glow plug wire, when it heats up it gives of newtons which collide with the molecules in the methanol causing the methanol to burn, if you heat the glow plug continuously you might get the engine to run on wd-40 but that is impossible because even continuously heating a glow plug for 30 seconds will burn it out, saying it will run with the glow igniter is like saying a full sized car engine runs if the cylinders fire but only when the starter motor is spinning.
Old 07-21-2007, 07:10 AM
DaveG55

ttoks, you're usualy pretty right on but on this subject you are a bit off. First WD40 is extremely flamable and explosive. It is so flamable that you can even use it as starting fluid in 1:1 engines.
Also, the methanol burns because it's ignition point is reached due to the compression and the heat from the glow plug. You need an ignitor to initialy start the engine because the compression alone is not enough to reach the ignition point of the methanol. Once combustion occurs, that is what keeps the glow plug hot. They are very similar to diesel engines in this. The temperature range where an engine will run is a very fine line That is why a too rich engine will stall, the plug is cooled by too much fuel. It is also why a too rich engine will run with the ignitor attached but die as soon as it is removed. The glow plug does not emit anything (what is a newton anyway? Did you mean neutron?)except heat except as a byproduct of that heat.
Also, haetng a glow plug for over 30 seconds will not burn it out. I have absentmindedly left an ignitor on a nonrunning engine for many minutes before and they are perfectly fine.
Old 07-21-2007, 07:43 AM
ttoks

thats a revelation for me dave, i did mean that (that is the point of the platinum in the glow plug wire no? sorry for my spelling there by the way) me being a fire bug i'v tried a few times to get CRC (it's basically the same as wd-40 except made in Australia and a differant name) to burn unsuccessfully, and will not burn in my nitro engines, at all, so prehaps i have been mistaken on there similarities, sorry for the misinformation there.
Old 07-21-2007, 07:53 AM
DaveG55

You should go to youtube and search for wd 40. A good 1/2 of the vids are about the stuff burning and exploding. I've not heard of CRC but if it won't burn then it's definatly different from wd 40.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:32 AM
robwiljas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Using WD40 as a starting fluid for 2 stroke gasoline engines is a very common practice, I used to use it when I lived in Nevada in the winter when my dirt bikes wouldn't start.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:48 AM
IL2mSturmovik

ORIGINAL: ttoks

thats a revelation for me dave, i did mean that (that is the point of the platinum in the glow plug wire no? sorry for my spelling there by the way) me being a fire bug i'v tried a few times to get CRC (it's basically the same as wd-40 except made in Australia and a differant name) to burn unsuccessfully, and will not burn in my nitro engines, at all, so prehaps i have been mistaken on there similarities, sorry for the misinformation there.
Trying to be a know it all bites you when you dont research it 1st, .

Just sayin
Old 07-21-2007, 11:12 AM
lanerbrainer205

WD-40 will not combust in liquid form, but in gas form it is highly combustable, and yes your engine will run for a few seconds with the glow ignitor in it but not without it....
Old 07-21-2007, 12:55 PM
pinky2252s

no you are not correct, WD-40 will burn in a liquid form how do you think the stupid people in vids blow there hands up by lighting it from the can for to long it comes back into the can and it explodes.
Old 07-21-2007, 03:22 PM
crispyspa

ORIGINAL: pinky2252s

no you are not correct, WD-40 will burn in a liquid form how do you think the stupid people in vids blow there hands up by lighting it from the can for to long it comes back into the can and it explodes.
Lanerbrainer would be correct, because when you are spraying it, the WD-40 does not come out in a solid stream, it actually comes out in a fine spray that surrounds a semi-solid stream of fluid. This fine spray is what ignites and burns back to the can.

Here is something interesting...coffee creamer powder will burn also. You have to sprinkle it over a fire, but it too, burns because of the "fine" state it's in when it contacts the flame.
Old 07-21-2007, 03:25 PM
lanerbrainer205

>.< Guys... I am right, trust me. If you dont beleive me go drop a match in a puddle of WD-40... it doesnt burn. I promise. however, like i said before when its in a fine spray it ignites
Old 07-21-2007, 03:34 PM
PiccoLow

I've used WD-40 to look for leaks. Spray it, if it rev's up you've got a leak. Just like the old trick you could do on some auto engines with starter fluid.

Ttokks do you have a link on the information about the glow plug wire being platinum? I would like to learn more about that
Old 07-21-2007, 03:35 PM
pinky2252s

i have before it ignites like gas but not like gas because gas burnes on fumes, so it did set on fire
Old 07-22-2007, 11:27 PM
Compstall

I used to have an old, extra lawnmower w/ a 3-horse Briggs motor in it. That thing would not die. I had the governor wired wide open. Tough to start but once it did man that thing would vaporize grass, hehe.

I tried all kinds of things in the gas tank. It was mixed w/ regular gasoline, but heavily mixed nonetheless, i.e., Acetone, WD40, Brake Cleaner, and even MEK!! You name it; if it smelled like it would burn, I put some in the tank. LOL It ran just fine.

I finally junked the motor once it blew a head gasket, but I'm confident that it would have still run with a new head gasket.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:57 AM
joelgould111

you can try puting wd40 in the tank then prime your engine more than u need then put the glowplug in and put a lighter near the exhaust and it will run

Old 07-23-2007, 08:39 AM
TM323

ORIGINAL: joelgould111

you can try puting wd40 in the tank then prime your engine more than u need then put the glowplug in and put a lighter near the exhaust and it will run

PLEASE LET ME KNOW HOW THIS TURNS OUT!!!!!!LMAO

but foreal though you guy's are all right about wd-40 it is flammable and even combustible but just like gas it is the fumes not the liquid that is volatile. A former friend of mine dropped a match in a gas can to prove this to me I dove like someone tossed a hand grenade at me. Nothing happend but still this is why he is a former friend!!! because there could have been enough fumes in the can to blow both us to hell.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:28 AM
pinky2252s

or it might explode in your face.....
Old 08-01-2007, 03:51 PM
johnwongfat

Actually the liquid is flammable, it just has a higher combustion point that the fumes. ANYTHING will burn if you get it hot enough.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:28 PM
BRUSHLESS BASHER

yup, and some stuff won't burn even when there is a flame to it. for example, a dollar bill can be soaked in alcohol and lit. the alcohol will burn off, but the dollar will be perfectly fine. this also works with carpet, I found that out when I was 11...
Old 08-01-2007, 07:38 PM
rcdude37

ORIGINAL: 3.3 revo 3.3

i had just put alot of wd40 in my engine without my fuel lines plugged in. there was no nitro in or going into the engine. it still fired up[X(], but just sounded different than nitro. i was so suprised that it started. i just flushed the engine so there was no nitro in the engine. it ran for about 20 seconds. i couldnt believe it started!!!!
why did you create this with the title of "can an engine run on wd40?" if you answer that question in the first post....

" no you are not correct, WD-40 will burn in a liquid form how do you think the stupid people in vids blow there hands up by lighting it from the can for to long it comes back into the can and it explodes."
the same way a gas can would explode if a flame got inside the can... gasoline doesn't burn the vapors of the gasoline does and it seems to work just fine in vehicles.. i guess we dont think of everything before we know it all now do we... anything that is flammable will run an engine, eather, paint thinner, lighter fluid, nitrous oxide, propane, ever clear... yea you get the point...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.