Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

friends truck runs but then dies

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 11:23 AM
wal_mart_security

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default friends truck runs but then dies

ok so my friend has a traxxas t-maxx 2.5R and is having engine problems. he's taking it all the way apart and doesn't know how to tune it from scratch. any ideas?
Old 09-07-2007, 03:35 PM
weez440

Default RE: friends truck runs but then dies

it sounds like it is to rich to me he needs to lean out the hsn until there is no power gain and then back off 1/8 turn, do the lsn until there is no power gain or it starts sputtering or no power gain then back off 1/16 of a turn and remember to go 1/8 turn incriments on hsn and 1/16 on lsn. also the motor could be toast, other then that i guess i had that happen to mine all the time and what it ended up being is i had some junk in my carb, i took the hsn off and it was about plugged. if he has the money tell him to just get an os.18tm direct drop in alot more power and very easy to tune.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:44 PM
DaveG55

ORIGINAL: weez440

it sounds like it is to rich to me he needs to lean out the hsn until there is no power gain and then back off 1/8 turn, do the lsn until there is no power gain or it starts sputtering or no power gain then back off 1/16 of a turn and remember to go 1/8 turn incriments on hsn and 1/16 on lsn. also the motor could be toast, other then that i guess i had that happen to mine all the time and what it ended up being is i had some junk in my carb, i took the hsn off and it was about plugged. if he has the money tell him to just get an os.18tm direct drop in alot more power and very easy to tune.

You have got to be kidding me!!!!!!!
How in the world can you possably think it's rich??????
He doesn't say how it's running or give a single symptom!!!

"ok so my friend has a traxxas t-maxx 2.5R and is having engine problems. he's taking it all the way apart and doesn't know how to tune it from scratch. any ideas?"

What do you base your GUESS on?????

W M Security
Show these two links to your friend. They tell where to set the carb needles to start out and how to tune it from there.
[link=http://www.traxxas.com/support/index.php?action=artikel&cat=88&id=450]Factory settings[/link]
[link=http://www.traxxas.com/support/index.php?action=artikel&cat=34&id=92]Tuning for performance[/link]

There are also a couple of good videos;
[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSmMzpZM_As]Nitro tuning video #1[/link]
[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJFsJAxNoRg]Nitro tuning video #2[/link]

They're done on a Savage but the procedure is the same.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:15 PM
jatoracing33

more info plz
Old 09-07-2007, 08:28 PM
wal_mart_security

its just like the title...his truck starts (after a very long time of trying to start it he says) then it can run but when he gives it gas it dies
Old 09-07-2007, 09:30 PM
weez440

hey dave you don't have to be a fricken jerk all the time you know. i had a 2.5R and it did the exact same thing when it was running rich. i cleaned up the hsn and it still did it when it was running rich. if you don't have anything useful to say then don't say anything at all well if you had anything useful to say you deffinately wouldn't have over 5000 posts. get a life man.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:08 PM
DaveG55

ORIGINAL: weez440

hey dave you don't have to be a fricken jerk all the time you know. i had a 2.5R and it did the exact same thing when it was running rich. i cleaned up the hsn and it still did it when it was running rich. if you don't have anything useful to say then don't say anything at all well if you had anything useful to say you deffinately wouldn't have over 5000 posts. get a life man.
Got a life thank you very much and I'm quite happy with it..
Also, my advice is better than yours. In fact I answered the question asked without pulling bs out of thin air.
And I've certainly helped more people than you and do it w/o calling names or insulting people. If I don't know the answer to a question, I'll either not answer or I'll ask for more information rather than give partial or downright bad advice. But hey, it's not your truck, what do you care if he leans it and ruins the motor when it was already too lean (not saying it's too lean just that being lean already is as much a posibility as being too rich with the little we know).
So if you cannot stand to be called out on giving bad advice then maybe you should keep it to yourself.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:31 AM
weez440

dave i am quite sure i got as good of a life as you as i am quite happy! i went with my knowledge when he said his problems as i had the same problems with the same motor. you advice is not better then mine, your advice is always criticizing of everyone elses and it is people like you and a few others that pushed me away from the nitro part of this forum. you think you know it all and when a person that is new to nitro comes in here you are quick to dismiss them as being either unable to cope with dealing with nitro or someone who doesn't know anything about anything which makes you feel superior over everyone else. my experience in life teaches me that people who try to be this way over the net without face to face experince is actually unhappy in life?? i may be wrong and i appologize if i am but with my position in my job teaches me the way people try to be dominant over idiotic situations.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:42 AM
DaveG55

Friend, You can try to put me down all you want. It does not change the fact that you gave advice w/o knowing enough facts and you could cause harm to anothers truck. But it's obvious that you don't care about that. You are just angry that someone called you on it. If you feel that pointing out the truth is critism then so be it.
Now, I am done arguing with you about this though I feel sure you will attack me again.
My concious is clear that I have never steered anyone to something that would harm their vehicle.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:44 AM
bob5429

you are actin' like an ass hole Dave
Old 09-08-2007, 12:46 AM
DaveG55

ORIGINAL: bob5429

So are you bob
Old 09-08-2007, 12:48 AM
bob5429

"I am done arguing"
Dave

You are just angry that someone called you on it. If you feel that pointing out the truth is critism then so be it. (sound familiar)
Old 09-08-2007, 12:52 AM
weez440

bob didn't do anything to you and i am sorry i forgot to mention when doing what i first posted to put to factory settings. i am not going to or trying to put you down i am trying to realize your faults to make you improve upon yourself. i am sorry for the way i got after you earlier for i had other things going on which is no excuse. i know dave that i have asked qustions in here before and you have answered them for you have knowledge but i have seen most of the times you have been intolerable which makes me sad for alot of people look to people who have knowledge like you to help them. i don't have a whole world of knowledge but i try to help and i don't appreciate you trying to bring me down in the process.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:52 AM
DaveG55

ORIGINAL: bob5429

"I am done arguing"
Dave

You are just angry that someone called you on it. If you feel that pointing out the truth is critism then so be it. (sound familiar)
Critisim I have no problem with.

Name calling I do.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:53 AM
bob5429

Old 09-08-2007, 03:17 AM
ttoks

weez, i say this with full respect, but your advice was without knowing enough about the symptoms, the best advice is exactly what dave has suggested, setting it back to the factory settings and reading a tuning guide, you have to understand that similar problems can be caused by many different things, on top of that dave has been in this hobby for longer then you, i or 99% of the people on this forum have been alive, he knows what he is talking about when it comes to glow engines.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:52 AM
weez440

i agree ttoks and if you refer to my first post i did suggest going back and tuning from factory settings. i just wish that he would offer his advice in a more friendly manner. nobody likes an old know it all grouch. and yes it could be many things but if we don't offer our advice from our own personal experiences then what help are we. the forums are supposed to be an area where we can go to share idea's and ask questions without this flaming crap going on.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:09 AM
ttoks

where here did you say go back to the factory settings? or am i blind, the fact of the matter if that daves advice is, after you get all the jiberish out of the way better then most, because he has probably spent more time fiddling with glow engines then we have been waring clothes, you will also note that dave didn't get aggressive until after you said (and he didn't even get that aggressive, he kept a very cool head)

if you don't have anything useful to say then don't say anything at all well if you had anything useful to say you deffinately wouldn't have over 5000 posts. get a life man.
that is purely uncalled for then this from bob was even worse

and bob did nothing wrong? even though dave was simply helping WMS's friend from frying his engine he still coped such childish insults such as this, daves post count says one thing, that he is willing to spend some of his time helping others, and in his case it is a fair bit of his time dedicated to helping people he does not even know, and he gets comments like this in return, that is simply unacceptable.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:35 PM
weez440

i said in a later post that i forgot to to tell him to set it back to factory settings i guess it is an honest mistake. so you are gonna use that against me, thats ok. i am done with this it is so juvinile and stupid. doesn't change the fact dave is who he is and you are who you are too ttoks. there are reasons why i don't spend much time in the nitro part of this forum.