Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Air Filter Elbow Too Close to Spur.....

Old 11-20-2007, 08:07 PM
JSRacer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Filter Elbow Too Close to Spur.....

Why is the air filter elbow so close to the spur gear on the 3.3? I am running a 38T spur and I'm thinking of running a 36T just to make more room. Am I missing something? Is there a simple motor mount adjustment that will take care of this? The guy that had this Revo before me managed to rub a hole in the elbow and I'm needing to order another. Any ideas?
Old 11-20-2007, 08:48 PM
NITROHOLICS ANONYMOUS

Default RE: Air Filter Elbow Too Close to Spur.....

I had the same problem, in the end it was a broken engine mount. but stock, they dont have much clearance, couple of mm's at the most
Old 11-20-2007, 09:24 PM
Danker16

what, i have a 2.5 and there is so much clearance between them and im running a 40T, try moving it all to the right side
Old 11-20-2007, 10:12 PM
sm1nts2escape

I never had a problem with the stock engine and spur rubbing but as soon as I installed the picco maxx engine and mount with stock 15/38 gearing It all of a sudden was so close that every now and then it rubs and I have a really really hard time getting the filter on and off.I am tired of it but I can live with it because of the performance from the engine.If you are just running the stock 3.3 and stock gearing and it is so close it rubs I would say either you have a broken engine mount or your frame is bent.It takes a really hard crash to bend the frame but it can be done.And you might not see a broken engine mount till you take it off and look at it alittle closer.You can get a new frame off ebay for like 30 bucks with a engine mount if you look or you could go to you lhs and pay 50 bucks for the frame and like 18 for the mount.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82060.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	781.9 KB
ID:	808283   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74254.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	808284  
Old 11-20-2007, 10:35 PM
JSRacer

No broken engine mount, I just fixed that about a month ago for the guy I got the Revo from. Now the bent chassis? That's very possible. After looking at a few pics online of 3.3's I've notice that they are all very close. I used to have a Revo 2.5 so maybe I just remember more room there. I think the spot that is rubbed through may have come from that broken engine mount a while back. It may not happen again. I have a new air filter on order so we'll see. I think I'm gonna Shoe Goo a 1/8 scale air filter to the stock elbow and give that a try. I'm guessing this will increase the air flow.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:45 PM
NITROHOLICS ANONYMOUS

good luck, but it could be the engine mount again unless it hasn't been run sice replaced. also, check whether all the screws on the engine and tranny are tight, they might shift. one more thing, when i replaced the spur on my revo a while back, i put the spur on backwards(When attaching it to the slipper plate) and that made a VERY tight fit between the air filter and spur. hope i could help.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:36 AM
ttoks

this very issue cost me an RB TM523, went from a 36 to 40 T spur and the spur hit the zip tie that was holding the air filter on the carb, rest is history, engine sucked dirt is, $460 AUS down the drain lol.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:53 AM
jarett 92

maybe you need to adjust the angle of the engine...
Old 11-21-2007, 11:00 PM
JSRacer

How so Jarett92?
Old 11-22-2007, 01:38 PM
carbajal

i don't think you can change the angle of the motor with out messing with the mesh on the spur and CB.